Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 16:05   #31

Boat: Herreshoff 36
Re: Can I weld this in situ?

The thing is, it is a very well built boat, with first class material, Lloyd standard. Anything new rusting away in front of my eyes. New anchor chain lasted less than a year, shrouds broke when only three years in service, galvanized steel last a couple of months. I am hesitating to replace good for new. Good old English steel and bronze!
Old 05-07-2018, 16:07   #32

Next stop after Fiji is Port Moresby, PNG.
Old 05-07-2018, 16:24   #33

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
The original question was one of welding. You can not weld steel to aluminum so the answer is 'NO' to welding.

Not that this would be the situation for it, but sure you can. Some practical (affordable) TIG options out there, as well. At about 2:30 in the video, you'll see the steel to aluminum welding.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 17:15   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The thing about Snow Petrels advice is that you can remove the strap now, save it, and do the temporary until you get somewhere to do a better job. It also allows you to take care of the corrosion which seems to be the more emergent concern. You just need something to keep the strop from coming down and a screw in one of those existing holes will do that trick.

Gives you an excuse to drink more rum while considering the final solution.

Best of luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 18:52   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cut a vertical slot in the mast and insert a slotted bit of 8mm stainless flat bar angled at 45 drgrees to form a tang for the forestay have done this on a few masts to make a second forestay for a twin headsail rig.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 19:37   #36
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
At about 2:30 in the video, you'll see the steel to aluminum welding.

Holy crap ... I am gobsmacked !
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:06   #37

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Remove and weld fitting then drill oversize to take the next size of rivet and as Bob said use monel rivets.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 17:32   #38

What's underneath?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180707_110653.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	173172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180707_110651.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	173173  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180707_110556.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	173174  
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:04   #39

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahun View Post
What's underneath?
Corrosion?

When you put it back together I think you want to put some kind of bedding compound between the stainless and the aluminum.

BTW - Even on my sailing dinghy that same bridle tang fitting had a through-bolt at the top set of holes, and the rivets in the other two sets of holes are there just to stop the part from wiggling and working against the mast. On the other hand, it's got you this far... So I don't think I'd re-engineer, I'd just replace the part.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:05   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Use the depth gauge on your calipers to measure the depth of the deepest pits under where the strap was. That will give everyone an idea of the extent to which your mast extrusion has been compromised. If the pits are very shallow, one can clean them to bare metal, use aluminum metal primer, and then paint the metal, and it will stop the corrosion. It is important to get all the oxidized aluminum out, and have clean fresh metal. It will take someone who is more knowledgeable than me to tell you if it has been seriously compromised.

By the way, I do not like the look of that split pin (cotter pin) on the stbd spreader, it has deformed way too much. While you're at it, replace that one. Monel would be best, if available (maybe you have some in your spares).

Ann
Old 06-07-2018, 18:18   #41
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm...
There is a lot of wear on the inboard fwd end of the port spreader; presumably from a spare wire halyard or similar.
May I suggest taking steps to prevent ay further wear.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:30   #42

I think it is an old thing. Must have been before I lead the halyards inside the mast. There were lot of stupid solutions to rectify when the boat was bought.
Old 06-07-2018, 18:32   #43

Quote:
I think it is an old thing. Must have been before I lead the halyards inside the mast. There were lot of stupid solutions to rectify when the boat was bought.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-07-2018, 18:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Use the depth gauge on your calipers to measure the depth of the deepest pits under where the strap was. That will give everyone an idea of the extent to which your mast extrusion has been compromised. If the pits are very shallow, one can clean them to bare metal, use aluminum metal primer, and then paint the metal, and it will stop the corrosion. It is important to get all the oxidized aluminum out, and have clean fresh metal. It will take someone who is more knowledgeable than me to tell you if it has been seriously compromised.

By the way, I do not like the look of that split pin (cotter pin) on the stbd spreader, it has deformed way too much. While you're at it, replace that one. Monel would be best, if available (maybe you have some in your spares).

Ann
There is more wear I admit than I thought would be. It has been there for 47 years. I am thinking of reinforcement solutions.
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 18:43   #45

Quote:
There is more wear I admit than I thought would be. It has been there for 47 years. I am thinking of reinforcement solutions.
I do not want too sound alarmist but are the other mast fittings (spreader base, mast cap etc) also the same age without removal / inspection during that time.

If so, you may have more surprises; these items do need inspection and replacement sooner or later and 47 is getting old.

Do you have the time and opportunity to pull the mast now?

If so, it's way easier to do at your convenience in a harbour than jury rigging a mast stump at sea - as I'm sure you know!