Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 16:13   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Can’t see the main

We have a 20’ x 30” clear plastic window In roughly the center of our Bimini intended to allow a view of the mainsail. But our boat/Bimini is so wide that there is no way to remove the window’s Velcro-fixed cover even when the closest zipper is undone and while standing on the cockpit seats or the coaming. We are in the sub-tropics, so leaving the window uncovered the entire time we are cruising isn’t practical. Has anyone rigged anything that addresses this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC25C0DF-AD3B-4BF8-8157-BF348CB8CBB8.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	220617  
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:32   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Can’t see the main

Perhaps put the cover underneath the window? I know that leaves the plastic exposed to UV damage though. Might be necessary.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

We have a cover made of screen on our Bimini so we can see the mizzen .. it's clearer if it's off , but you can still see through it
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 16:58   #4

Make a bigger cover attached near the edges?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 17:23   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

I have two windows in the connecting piece that are reachable from each side, but normally look through the dodger for a quick pick, or go to the deck for a more up close view.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 17:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last dodger window cover had the twist turn “buttons” on each corner so it could be removed, I never really used the window so this Dodger I didn’t have a window put it.
You can’t really see enough through the window.

I dislike zippers and avoid them if possible, I dislike Velcro on the exterior even more.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 18:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
We have a cover made of screen on our Bimini so we can see the mizzen .. it's clearer if it's off , but you can still see through it
This is a great idea. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2020, 18:30   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

No problem - hope it helps! We also have one for the dodger windows to knock down the sun- works really well!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 20:19   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you're going to use shade screen to protect the clear part, use black shade screen if you want to see through it. White does not work as well.

Ann
Old 03-08-2020, 22:11   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I would change the cover. Make it attach like a flap, sewn at the front edge only. Then attach long cords or bungies at the two aft corners which you can pull tight keeping the flap covering the window, or pull them to the front and tie off, moving the flap out of the way.

And, as long as the bimini is off for that sewing, make a much bigger window, (and of course, a bigger flap).

Finally, on our boat we cannot have a bimini because of the mainsheet coming down from the end of the boom so we are out in the open which is fine. It allows us to sail with the wind in our face and to have great visibility of the sails the sky, everything. On a longer day when it gets too hot we do rig an awning to provide shade, but by then the boat is steering itself and we can sit near the side where we can see around it when we need to.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23   #11

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I have two windows, offset to each side, that are (barely) reachable when I stand on rear princess seat rail and reach over back of bimini. They are about 18 x 10 in in size.

I like the screen idea and black is the right way to go because white reflects too much and hence is harder to see through.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:52   #12

I am very grateful to the forum for the ideas. We have opted to do a flap, "hinged" (attached) toward the stern. So if the wind is really blowing the flap will not be fighting the wind at any point forward of the beam. At the two forward corners we will attach lines to secure the flap forward when at the dock. When sailing, we will walk these securing lines outside of the Bimini and secure them to the stern. We are also (thanks for the suggestion) increasing the size of the window while the Bimini section is at the shop. We will keep the window clean with a dedicated mop. Again, thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated! Rich
Old 04-08-2020, 12:07   #13

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Hello Can't see The Main,

Try drinking less WINE and The Main will be easier to see.

Old Navy Senior Chief
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 13:31   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Seems like you may find that the wind will pick up the edge of the cover either when it's open or shut. That could make it flutter, if it is only secured with two light lines.

We had two windows in our first cockpit cover, but visibility was not very good through them somehow. Way too small to really see much of the sail. They had sun covers but dirt still collected on them and the plastic became cloudy much faster there than elsewhere. And they were a source of water leakage after a few years.

Second time we had cover made without the windows. When I want to see the luff of the main I move to companionway stairs and look up through the forward dodger window. When I want to see the whole sail, check the topping lift, etc. I just lean out of the cockpit a little or go aft.

Unless you are racing, there is no need to look at the mainsail constantly, and having to move around in the cockpit once in a while to see the main is probably good for your health!
Old 04-08-2020, 14:31   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Our bimini window was originally set up with small lines to pull the cover open like a flap. It was a pain with the small lines in the way, dangling down a lot of the time. We had to remove that window and have a smaller one put in when we put solar panels on the bimini. The canvas shop made a rectangle to velcro under the window. We have pretty much never put it in place. The window might not last as long but the simplicity is so much better.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote