Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2021, 21:40   #16

Re: Can the sheave of this stanchion block be replaced or is it time to buy new?

Replace with a black sheave , more UV resistant than white .
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 23:45   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Can the sheave of this stanchion block be replaced or is it time to buy new?

I generally rebuild them. The one in the image is a temporary repair unril I get back to my support vehicle.

It is one of those swivel blocks with a spring similar to the one in the OPs image. The reason they fail is that the swivel stem which goes into the big washer the spring bears against is welded into it and they fail there. This is probably the fifth failure I've had with similar blocks over the years.

As can be seen in the accompanying image I've taken the becket out and used a piece of aluminium T to make a new anchoring pad to keep the block in service.

I will probably tidy this arrangement up rather than attempt to rebuild the original arrangement.

If you have access to a lathe you can cut the head of the bolt back to about half it's normal thickness, makes the bolt look like a bought one. Cit the bolt off so the end is flush with the nut and use a centre punch to punch just inside the circumference to prevent the nut from coming off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210909163116.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	244966  
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47   #18

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
NICE!
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:02   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Have you invested the time and energy to learn how to repair things, including basic mechanical, metal, and wood shop skills? Invested in the required tools? Obviously, replacement is more efficient. And that is why we throw things away.

You might find one in a second hand store.
'Tis also why 'one man's junk is another man's treasure'...

'Efficient' has several different meanings.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:07   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
... 'Efficient' has several different meanings.

Yes. That is what I was getting at. Some people are good at shop work, and some people are good at other things, and our world is based on specialization.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:11   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perhaps the most time- and cost-effective solution is Garhauer. A new block for $40. That would likely be my choice, even though I know how to replace a sheave. Garhauer makes good solid stuff for good prices. More than 1/2 of the blocks I've bought the past 10 years have been Garhauer. No problems.

https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanc...ock-sb-25.html
Old 09-09-2021, 08:22   #22

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm with Thinwater. The whole block is looking tired, and it is small enough that a replacement won't break the budget.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:02   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
$118 for a replacement, hate to add more stuff to the landfill. Can this be repaired or is it time to replace it?

Why repair it??

This is the same company that made the original blocks on my 35 year old Catalina. The company is long out-of-business.

You can go buy a replacement Schaeffer (or better yet a higher quality Harken) to about 50-60 bucks.

How valuable is your time....?

If you REALLY feel the need to keep it due aesthetics, you can drill the pin out, get a replacement sheave at West Marine and install a stainless steel machine bolt in place of the original pin.

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:51   #24

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
$118 for a replacement, hate to add more stuff to the landfill. Can this be repaired or is it time to replace it?
Yes, I replaced mine with these $3 sheaves (check your size). Had to slightly drill out the ID for a bolt. Obviously you need to drill out the rivet, but it took like 15 min to save $100.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:56   #25

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

WOW so many people in the "throw out" society here. My grandfather is turning over in his grave...

look around and you can find sheaves for cheap. I replaced my Schaeffer reefing block sheaves with these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

easy.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:30   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

May be a good time to upgrade?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4896764B-04B1-4DF6-A87F-EB7E50AB252E.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	244979  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:35   #27

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
May be a good time to upgrade?

That’s exactly what I had in mind reading through the thread. A friction ring costs a fraction of a shackle and will last forever.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:36   #28

Boat: Najad 373

Sorry I meant a block, not a shackle. English is only my 3rd language, apologies
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:38   #29

Boat: Hunter 340 '99

Replaced mine with fairleads from Nautos, on sale for c. $6 apiece (normally twice or so that).
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:56   #30

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If they are mainly used for guiding a rope to a furler or genoa car, I replace them with a lanyard and frictionless rings, and keep refurbished or new blocks for more heavily loaded tasks. They are often worth refurbishing if not corroded. I have had these things snap--and I refurbish them by replacing with a Delrin sheave, a sealed stainless bearing or a bush and a bolt and self-locking nuts as mentioned by others.

But if the load is light, a friction-less ring is a good, maybe even a better option and keep the refurbished block for a dinghy hoist or deck hoist for lifting water containers, small outboard engines etc aboard.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote