Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 09:47   #1

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
CDI Flexible Furling System ?

Has anyone used and or installed the CDI Flexible Furling System?

Have been looking at this furler and have been thinking about insralling one on U D. Any thoughts on this unit?
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 16:33   #2

Boat: CS 36t
Re: CDI Flexible Furling System ?

I have not installed one but my current boat came with one which I have serviced. Overall, the unit is fine but not great. The thing that I really don't like about it is that the halyard is internal instead of going to the mast. This is touted as an advantage of it (it certainly is cost-wise) but I don't like it. For one, putting the jib on is a real bear since you have to be pulling down on a tagline while feeding the jib into the slot. If it is windy and you need a second person, there tends not to be enough room up forward on a sailboat for two people to stand there and work. The other danger of this halyard setup is that if the forestay ever fails, you will loose the rig. Normally, you have some cushion because the sail will keep it up unless that breaks as well. The probability of this failure is really low but is something to think about.

Other than the sail being hard to put on, it works just fine. If I were buying one myself right now, I would probably opt for a more conventional furler unless I was really price sensitive but I certainly see no reason to change on my boat.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 19:05   #3

Boat: Dufour 12000CT Ketch - 45'
I had a CDI curler on my last boat, a Catalina 36. When I bought the boat it was there and so when it wore out I replaced it with a new one. Here are a couple of comments... First of all, the company has been in business for quite a while. There are so many marine suppliers that come and go, when I find one who has been in business for many years it makes me quite happy. Second, when I replaced my furled unit, it attached to the old rigging without any modifications or changes needed.... Another nice touch... I agree with the other comment that it is difficult to raise and lower the sail, however, I found that for the twice a year that happens for me, not the end of the world... lastly, it is simple to use with fairly durable construction.... Hope that helps...
blowin bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 20:25   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

blowin bubbles

Thank you for the info

ALSO,
Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 21:14   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have two of the older CDI furler/ reefers. One on the Jib/ Genoa and one one the aft mast main furler/reefer. I know what was said about the sail being difficult to install because of the self contained halyard. I have solved this problem by using a spare halyard with a trip from a mast head to help install the sails. Once installed it furls with no halyard wrap problems. You however me be requesting information on the newer zero type furler which is a totally different kettle of fish.
Old 25-05-2011, 22:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

I installed a CDI on the last boat. It is heavy, the foil is PVC, but that aside it was fine. The install is pretty straight forward, and no need to alter the headstay.

I did opt for the ball bearing upgrade and the furler worked smoothly. I have not used the standard bushing so I can't compare.

Overall it was a cheap way to get a furler onto a smaller boat and I was happy with it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 22:32   #7

can this furler be rigged when the boat is in the water and without having to drop mast or head stay?
Cleavespoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 22:34   #8

how worthwhile is it be to us install a swivel at the bottom of the rig? boat yard wants $360 all in.
Cleavespoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 04:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleavespoint View Post
can this furler be rigged when the boat is in the water and without having to drop mast or head stay?

Yes. You need to be pretty clear on the length you need to cut to. You can get the measurement from the deck but it helps to send someone up to be sure.

I did mine at the hoist with the mast up.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:22   #10
cruiser

My 2 cents I almost bought one, but ended up getting a hood sl700. The hood cost $1049 from defender, and I made the brackets my self. The CDI
seemed slightly flimsy and cost more than the hood. I like the halyard on the mast. While figuring all this out I worked on a CDI jib furler and didn't care for it's construction at all. Mounting a regular furler requires a bit of thinking, but it's better when done. CDI is the way to go for a kit that has had all the thinking done. If you like to build things the CDI won't be exciting.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 06:20   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

This is the revival of an old thread. Since my last comment I have had, to replace my two old style CDI furlers. I was going to bye a flexible furler but had a length problem with one of them. Their max length on the FF9 was 53 ft and I needed 56 ft. I came across the Alado furling/reefing system, on CF which has a life time warranty. I liked the way they were engineered so I purchased two. Easy install without having to lower the mast. I wanted a system with the internal halyard which it has no maximum length. I am very happy with this system from Brazil. Good shipping and delivery via FedEx to Canada.
Old 27-01-2014, 06:33   #12

Boat: CORBIN 39

When I purchased my boat it came with two CDI furlers. I didn't think too much about them, replaced them with two Profurls. that was 20 years ago, can't recall exactly what the problems were. still have the parts in the garage somewhere
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:52   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Has anyone used and or installed the CDI Flexible Furling System?

Have been looking at this furler and have been thinking about insralling one on U D. Any thoughts on this unit?
Your profile says you have a Gulfstar 43. The CDI is an integral halyard furler. It's not appropriate for your boat. They are a good choice for trailer sailors and other small boats. The problem with all of them is that you end up compressing the foil trying to get luff tension on the sail. Not an issue on a Catalina 22 but a 43'er is a totally different story.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, furling