Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 15:53   #151

Community Sponsor

Re: Chotu’s Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes of course they have that data; they must prove the product before marketing it, but I am talking about comparative independent testing

Is there a website where we can see pricing for these fittings?

Not yet. We're trying to establish dealers who will list online - we do sell direct - but want to create an environment that's more attractive to dealers. Where are you based? In the US?
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 16:11   #152
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Still haven’t received any pics of my friends Seawind 1000 with the Dyneema pelican striker wire, but I do know it has a solid termination at each end of the beam and is tensioned by some type of bottle screw that comes out of the top of the pelican striker. Kind of like my setup here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7672.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	278872
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 16:25   #153

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Still haven’t received any pics of my friends Seawind 1000 with the Dyneema pelican striker wire, but I do know it has a solid termination at each end of the beam and is tensioned by some type of bottle screw that comes out of the top of the pelican striker. Kind of like my setup here.
Attachment 278872
On a martingale I would hope that the dyneema is covered? So much possibility for chafe... and also WAY oversized - they are under pretty heavy constant load, I'd be concerned about creep.
Curious to see the setup though. The 1000 is a pretty small cat, so reasonably easy to upsize in dyneema accordingly.

We have dyneema end terminations (blue wave) that easily attach to turnbuckles - essentially a threaded end fitting. See the "rope line" catalog here https://theyachtrigger.com/blue-wave-usa/
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 18:21   #154

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
On a martingale I would hope that the dyneema is covered? So much possibility for chafe... and also WAY oversized - they are under pretty heavy constant load, I'd be concerned about creep.

Curious to see the setup though. The 1000 is a pretty small cat, so reasonably easy to upsize in dyneema accordingly.

We have dyneema end terminations (blue wave) that easily attach to turnbuckles - essentially a threaded end fitting. See the "rope line" catalog here https://theyachtrigger.com/blue-wave-usa/

Took another look at Blue Wave rope fittings - very sexy. Unfortunately for us, too small for our rig (and of course we’ve got our fibre investment in Colligo components). But it is nice to see terminals that completely encapsulate the spliced eye. Definitely will look to these for gate hardware when we convert our lifelines to fibre.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 20:01   #155
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
Not yet. We're trying to establish dealers who will list online - we do sell direct - but want to create an environment that's more attractive to dealers. Where are you based? In the US?
Where the boat is… this hurricane season that is Florida

Quote:
Attachment 278872
Oh I like that!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 05:02   #156
smj

Quote:
Where the boat is… this hurricane season that is Florida

Oh I like that!

I would rather have a turnbuckle at one end of the beam to tune the martingale. Seems there was a decent amount of stretch in the replaced wire and the Pelican striker adjustment appears to be close to the point of topping out.
Old 29-07-2023, 05:42   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would rather have a turnbuckle at one end of the beam to tune the martingale. Seems there was a decent amount of stretch in the replaced wire and the Pelican striker adjustment appears to be close to the point of topping out.
When a stay is too long, a turnbuckle doesn’t help either, you simply need to shorten the stay.

The advantage of this adjustment at the striker is that it automatically balances both legs, while a turnbuckle has to deal with friction over the striker, resulting in uneven loading.

Old 29-07-2023, 07:14   #158
smj

Chotu’s Advanced Standing Rigging Thread (lots of pics)

Quote:
When a stay is too long, a turnbuckle doesn’t help either, you simply need to shorten the stay.

The advantage of this adjustment at the striker is that it automatically balances both legs, while a turnbuckle has to deal with friction over the striker, resulting in uneven loading.

Your right, my only thought is I’d possibly have the ability to shorten the stay more with the turnbuckle. Maybe have both?
Old 29-07-2023, 07:22   #159

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your right
It’s way more work though because I’m pretty sure it is custom and not easy to do while making it look good. It can be done way nicer than in that picture, but inherently it is the superior method.

For Dyneema (this is an application for heat set Dyneema!) it is easy to shorten it as you just adjust a splice. It’s also very simple with two eye splices.

Of course the tangs need adapters for Dyneema but this is because they weren’t designed for Dyneema. Two large diameter pins would have been superior, eliminating the need for any additional hardware and hardly more work than the tangs.

When you look at how a carbon fiber engineer like the guy at YoungBarnacles looks at things and simply laminates carbon fiber as the martingale stay, laminating it straight to the hull, is simply genius and shows the no-compromise approach.

Old 30-07-2023, 04:49   #160

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Now is the only time I wish I was in Florida.

The stainless/bronze components exist in used shops there for sure.

Oh well.

I'm comparing the complete new 3/8" setup with new wire/etc to Dyneema.

Difficulty is, I don't have winches. Those go in after the rig. Wondering if some kind of come along or temporary turnbuckle or something might work. Tension up hard with secondary line, make your lashing, then release. Something like that.

If you’re anywhere near Annapolis, Bacon has rows and rows of used sailboat hardware and stuff

https://baconsails.com
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 04:56   #161

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
If you’re anywhere near Annapolis, Bacon has rows and rows of used sailboat hardware and stuff

https://baconsails.com
Yes. That would have been nice. I am long gone.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 05:00   #162

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In any case, about the Martingale stay, I have decided to go with the yacht Rigger and do swage fittings for this one.

they should be ready this week and ready for shipment.

I am doing this in the interest of saving time. The price difference between ordering the components and getting them swaged and sent to me was very negligible. Not even worth a consideration actually.

I suppose I will practice with the DIY connectors the next time I replace this thing. In 10 years or something.

i’ll post a picture of it installed once it gets installed. from here on out I will start getting to work on the shrouds and everything.

I will probably run a lot of best practices questions by everyone regarding mounting all of my stuff on the mast head and things like that. But it’s all pretty straightforward. This should be a good thread actually. I’m going to keep up with it and put all of the standing rigging info here with pics.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 06:46   #163

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
In any case, about the Martingale stay, I have decided to go with the yacht Rigger and do swage fittings for this one.

they should be ready this week and ready for shipment.

I am doing this in the interest of saving time. The price difference between ordering the components and getting them swaged and sent to me was very negligible. Not even worth a consideration actually.

I suppose I will practice with the DIY connectors the next time I replace this thing. In 10 years or something.

I'd say that's the right call at this point in the project. There's a point where the time spent chasing perfection isn't worth it and you're better off going for the almost as good solution that you can get done right away.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2023, 08:30   #164

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How much % extra was the quote for Blue Wave mechanical fittings instead of swage? Would be interesting for a thread like this to see that difference

Old 30-07-2023, 16:46   #165

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

If you are running Dyneema, what do you do for the roller furler stay?

Tags
rigging