Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2023, 06:24   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotu's Rigging Thread - Time to Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
What is your pay scale. Have all skills u need
Depends on speed and actual skills. Like how fast you can work. There’s a set amount of work to get done. So either by the project/task or hourly.

This is more of a private conversation however. Please shoot me a message so we can talk
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 06:33   #17

Built ro ' race boat to own design. Won round world race. Built everything from unicycle to nucular missel. Don't know how private conversation works
rounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 06:34   #18

Boat: Hunter 340

I say get a new rigger who can do something/
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 08:42   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Just a note: sheaves that large are usually aluminium to resist deformation under load. Having them hard anodised stops too much corrosion. Any machine shop, non marine with a lathe should be able to turn sheaves given the profile. I recently had two 2 1/2 inch sheaves made for Euro20 each. Large sheaves usually need bushes to prevent excessive wear. Non bushed sheaves can often be had cheaply and it is not difficult or expensive to retro fit bushes.

I feel your pain. Whenever I think about employing a "professional" I tell my wife to take all the money out of my wallet, hit me over the head and work out how to do myself. The outcome is the same but keeps the blood pressure down.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 05:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I say get a new rigger who can do something/
I don’t think there are any. I brought it to Original shop in Saint Pete and I paid $3000 for nothing. Absolutely no work. and even then I had to talk them down from $5000. And now I brought it to the Carolinas and the guy has done some design work and purchasing but no actual like hands-on work. I’d love to find a rigger. But it will take me like a year probably. And still I will keep paying for nothing.

It’s the usual story here. Anyone will take money. But they don’t work.

It’s time to just do it myself so it gets done.
Old 27-05-2023, 05:40   #21

Question: What do you all think about UHMPE for sheave material?
Old 27-05-2023, 07:00   #22
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Question: What do you all think about UHMPE for sheave material?
It is not very UV resistant. so if the sheave is located where there is limited or no light, great stuff - if it's located where it gets a fair amount of sunlight, not so great.

dj

p.s. what kind of line are you running through the sheaves?

p.p.s. what are you using for bearings? Just the sheave material itself or do you have bearings?
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 07:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
It is not very UV resistant. so if the sheave is located where there is limited or no light, great stuff - if it's located where it gets a fair amount of sunlight, not so great.

dj

p.s. what kind of line are you running through the sheaves?

p.p.s. what are you using for bearings? Just the sheave material itself or do you have bearings?
These are the sheaves at the Mast head that I’m really thinking about here.

Currently they are aluminum. About 5.25” inches in diameter. They are badly corroded and the “ears”/ edges are broken off in lots of places

They just spin on a stainless steel pin. There are no bearings. I would like to keep it that way because that’s a lot more simple.

I need to get sheaves this week. Leg delivered to the Carolinas this week.

Thank you for the tip about the poor UV resistance. Because these will be right out there outdoors at the top of the mast.
Old 27-05-2023, 07:20   #24

Sheaves are readily available off the shelf.

Google has many people supplying name brand and custom sheaves for sailing applications. Typically, catamaran halyards are pretty high load, with high tech line, and take some special care.

Because of the high static loads you want to not to use a material that tends to cold-flow. Like UHMWPE.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 07:37   #25
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
These are the sheaves at the Mast head that I’m really thinking about here.

Currently they are aluminum. About 5.25” inches in diameter.

They just spin on a stainless steel pin. There are no bearings. I would like to keep it that way because that’s a lot more simple.

I need to get sheaves this week. Leg delivered to the Carolinas this week.

Thank you for the tip about the poor UV resistance. Because these will be right out there outdoors at the top of the mast.
I would prefer UV resistant Delrin. It's also very good on the bearing surface of a stainless pin. 5.25" is big. Your originals were aluminum I believe. Without a good material at the bearing, I'd not be so happy at that interface. But then dealing with that gets complicated.

I don't see a problem just making the whole sheave out of Delrin. But, I've never made a sheave that big out of Delrin so if there are others here that have, their opinion would be welcome.

Problem for me right now is I'm not seeing where you can buy UV resistant Delrin in that diameter. McMaster has Delrin in that size, but it's not the UV resistant formula...

Have you got a good machine shop doing this work for you? Perhaps make the sheave out of aluminum and put in a UHMWPE/Delrin center for the pivot on the stainless pin. It's more work, but would make an excellent sheave...

dj
Old 27-05-2023, 07:56   #26

This is the place to get sheaves. Custom to diameter, width, rope size, and axle size. Well worth the cost (which really isn't that much)

Many cats find that their full battened, big roach mainsails don't drop well --sometimes because of friction in the sheave. They need to rig a line to pull the sail down. My sail drops all the way into its cover like the proverbial "sack of potatoes"

https://www.zephyrwerks.com/sheave-sizing
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 08:02   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have a black Delrin anchor roller that is 6” diameter at the sides but of course it is much wider than a halyard sheave.

No problem after 15 years in tropical sun.

If you use high tech halyards, like a stripped one with a Dyneema core of 1/4” or 3/8” then I think you can go down in diameter as well.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 08:15   #28

Boat: Privilege 435

I believe our rigger replaced our sheaves with nylon. Wish I would have read this thread before I let him do that. But, we’ve sailing maybe 10k miles since then and no problems yet.

Probably should go up and inspect them now…
Old 28-05-2023, 03:03   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've used blocks with nearly 6" diameter Delrin sheaves. They're pretty great. By the time regular delrin degrades in the sun, you'll have had a chance to have some others made, sail thousands of miles, and figure out all the other bugs in the rig that will make you pull it for service anyway.
Old 28-05-2023, 03:32   #30
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I've used blocks with nearly 6" diameter Delrin sheaves. They're pretty great. By the time regular delrin degrades in the sun, you'll have had a chance to have some others made, sail thousands of miles, and figure out all the other bugs in the rig that will make you pull it for service anyway.
Great feedback! The regular stuff will certainly stand up better than UHMWPE...

dj

Tags
rigging