Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 07:45   #76

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Chotu's Rigging Thread - Time to Go Fast

Good Lord. I didn’t plan for that. The height of my gooseneck is for a horizontal boom. I had things to clear on the deck house. And just accounted for that with the gooseneck height.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 07:46   #77

In mast Conduit: Essential? It’s something that was not on my list that has just been added by the Rigger. since 1992 or whatever the wires that are in the mast now have been just sitting there openly moving around. I have all new wires going in so I guess the conduit is probably a good thing? Especially with the mast extension and some of those screws that are too long? Jedi? Where are you? Ha ha. if I remember it was you that was really pushing about the screw length being too long.

so I guess I’m answering my own question. I had better get together a conduit
Old 30-05-2023, 07:48   #78

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

No reason you can't run a horizontal boom if the clearance works, so I wouldn't worry about that. For reef points, you can always have more on the sail and just not keep all of them rigged to reduce rigging clutter. Basically, if you have 3 reef points and 2 reef lines, you'd likely choose whether to rig 1 and 2, 1 and 3, or 2 and 3 based on expected winds and where you're sailing. Or you can run more lines and keep them all rigged all the time.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 07:49   #79

I’m shooting for a 5 inch pre-bend with a 3.5ft-4ft rake. On a 65ft spar section.

just in case some of the discussion above talking about those quantities has any bearing on anything
Old 30-05-2023, 07:56   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
No reason you can't run a horizontal boom if the clearance works, so I wouldn't worry about that. For reef points, you can always have more on the sail and just not keep all of them rigged to reduce rigging clutter. Basically, if you have 3 reef points and 2 reef lines, you'd likely choose whether to rig 1 and 2, 1 and 3, or 2 and 3 based on expected winds and where you're sailing. Or you can run more lines and keep them all rigged all the time.
I think that’s exactly what he’s talking about doing. He mentioned setting up the reef points that you use most often. Just two of them.

to me, it seems like I would use the first reef and then the deepest reef.

It also seems to me like I would not want to be going out there to try to change reef points around when I am in a situation where I need to use the deepest reef.

pretty confusing. I really would rather be able to use all of them. But I guess this is a first draft.
Old 30-05-2023, 08:00   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think that’s exactly what he’s talking about doing. He mentioned setting up the reef points that you use most often. Just two of them.

to me, it seems like I would use the first reef and then the deepest reef.

It also seems to me like I would not want to be going out there to try to change reef points around when I am in a situation where I need to use the deepest reef.

pretty confusing. I really would rather be able to use all of them. But I guess this is a first draft.
The idea is that you pre-select which ones you want rigged before departing. So if you're coastal and expecting really light air, you may want 1 and 2 rigged, as you're very unlikely to want #3. But if going offshore or the forecast is less predictable, you'd want to rig 1 and 3 (or maybe 2 and 3 if lots of high wind is expected).
Old 30-05-2023, 08:11   #82

Quote:
The idea is that you pre-select which ones you want rigged before departing. So if you're coastal and expecting really light air, you may want 1 and 2 rigged, as you're very unlikely to want #3. But if going offshore or the forecast is less predictable, you'd want to rig 1 and 3 (or maybe 2 and 3 if lots of high wind is expected).
Ah HA!!!!

now that makes sense. Thank you so much. I understand what he is talking about now

just one question. How do you know so much about sailing when you are a power boater?? Did you spend a lot of time sailing before you got your current boat?

Anyway, this all makes a lot of sense now. And this type of system makes a lot of sense. Much more simplified and the same results. Just a little bit of extra work to change the reef points around based on expected weather. I like it!
Old 30-05-2023, 08:12   #83

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
In mast Conduit: Essential? It’s something that was not on my list that has just been added by the Rigger. since 1992 or whatever the wires that are in the mast now have been just sitting there openly moving around. I have all new wires going in so I guess the conduit is probably a good thing? Especially with the mast extension and some of those screws that are too long? Jedi? Where are you? Ha ha. if I remember it was you that was really pushing about the screw length being too long.

so I guess I’m answering my own question. I had better get together a conduit

Haa, if not, at night it's a real headache, although you get used to it.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 08:16   #84

Quote:
just one question. How do you know so much about sailing when you are a power boater?? Did you spend a lot of time sailing before you got your current boat?
Plenty of reading (the details behind sailing are always interesting), plus most of the other boaters we spend time with are sailors (and I end up sailing on other people's boats some).
Old 30-05-2023, 08:18   #85

Quote:
Plenty of reading (the details behind sailing are always interesting), plus most of the other boaters we spend time with are sailors (and I end up sailing on other people's boats some).
makes sense. You have an invite for a sail on this one once it gets up to New York. May be a little bit of a drive however ha ha
Old 30-05-2023, 08:21   #86

Quote:
makes sense. You have an invite for a sail on this one once it gets up to New York. May be a little bit of a drive however ha ha
That'll certainly be a new box to check for me, I've never sailed on a cat (or anything all that fast in general).
Old 30-05-2023, 08:26   #87

Summary of sheaves:
$1036 from Ed at ZephyrWorks in WA.

no idea if that’s a good price. Seems high but everything seems high ha ha.

That is 9 sheaves however, delivered by Friday and including 2-day shipping

4 are 5" diameter, 5 are 3 3/8" diameter. All accept 1/2" line.

All are Delrin with a bronze insert.

we will see what the product is like when it arrives, but so far Ed seems really great to work with.
Old 30-05-2023, 08:28   #88

Quote:
That'll certainly be a new box to check for me, I've never sailed on a cat (or anything all that fast in general).
On a nice, windy day with pretty flat water we should be able to hit your published cruising speed on your boat. Not your top speed though. That’s like a hurricane lol
Old 30-05-2023, 08:32   #89

Quote:
On a nice, windy day with pretty flat water we should be able to hit your published cruising speed on your boat. Not your top speed though. That’s like a hurricane lol
I'd expect matching our typical slow cruise (6.5) kts is easy. Getting your boat up to our fast cruise (17 - 18 kts) should be a riot if there's enough wind to get there. Actual top speed is around 25 kts, not as fast as published numbers for this boat (which were pretty optimistic).
Old 30-05-2023, 08:32   #90

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Around 90 bucks by sheave, custom made, not bad...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging