Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 15:33   #1

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
ChuteScoop

Does anyone have any experience with a chutescoop (spinnaker sock)? Does it work as advertised? Is it durable? Would you buy it again?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 15:39   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I've owned a few...

...and wouldn't want to go back to working without one. Makes it almost too easy to set and douse the chute.

A buddy of mine bought a fairly cheap generic sock commercially available, and melted the blocks. As in all sailing, beware of cheap fittings. My sock was made by the same loft that made my spinnaker (North Sails) and is of considerably higher quality. Also has a nice carbon-fiber snuffer, which is important when you consider weight aloft.

So, yeah, they're great, but don't forget that you get what you pay for.
Old 11-05-2009, 16:01   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have one for an Asym. Works well. If I were to do it fresh I would get a spin furler. In my mind I would rather furl the spin and take it down this will make it easier to gybe and to handle the sail.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 16:09   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Thumbs up ATN

Mike--

We have ATN "Chutescoops" (see ATN Home Page -- sailing, sail, storm, gale, tacker, spinnaker, sleeve, stasher, flasher, douser, chute scoop, sally, case, furler, roller, reefed sail, single handed, short handed, cruising, transatlantic, round the world, Jules Verne Trophy, BOC, w ) for both our asymmetric and symmetric spinnakers. We started with one for the assym. and liked it so much I bought a second for our symetric that we use with a "Tacker" to the headstay when just my wife and I are sailing (for racing with a crew, we launch and retrieve the symmetric in the conventional fashion). They work great on both sails (and we have very large sails!). One thing I do is pass the retrieving line through a snatch block located in the center of the foredeck. I find pulling up on the retrieving line easier than pulling down, and if necessary, I can lead the line to a deck winch. One does have to remember to "gybe" the retrieving line around the forestay if one has gyped the sails and will be retrieving on the opposit gybe from the launch.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 17:10   #5

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI
Chutescoop

Chutescoop is a brand name for a particular spinnaker sock made by V.F. Shaw Co. ATN and a few others make competing spinnaker socks. Does anyone have experience with the Chutescoop made by V. F. Shaw Company?
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote