Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 06:32   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Climbed the mast (solo). Notes for those who may be considering

Re. mast steps, I've been up the mast twice at sea, and BOTH times the main was set (the boat rolls less that way). Simply put, the steps were not accessible.

Pendelum? No, I just kept one had around the back of the mast and used the shrouds when in reach. Once I was using a Mastmate, the other a rope-walker system.

I have perhaps a thousand days spent climbing rock or ice, so it's sort of cheating. Relaxing, actually.
Old 07-12-2021, 13:10   #47

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Making hard work of it ! 4.1 pulley system Job done...
Can you point me to a website, YouTube or other reference for the pulley system?

Thanks
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 14:14   #48

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I have used the double ascenders but got tired with the amount of swinging. Now, I use a self sewn 2" web mast ladder with ascender with backup to mast winch with helper. Having the "webbing" mast steps very tight to mast give me a more secure footing with alot less effort.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:59   #49

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I used to use climbing gear, Gri-gris etc. My last long voyage in May/June had me very glad that I'd had mast steps installed a few years back. Replacing the back stay in 15 kt winds and 4 foot waves would not have been comfortable, hanging like a pendulum. The next day's forecast was for 20 kts and 6', so I had one chance. Of course it took 6 trips up altogether, but I was ready for the tradewinds still ahead. Just my opinion of course, worth price paid.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 13:10   #50

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Can you point me to a website, YouTube or other reference for the pulley system?

Thanks
Videos on Rigging a purchase should suffice.

Here's how they're rigged. https://www.baileysonline.com/climb-...SABEgLImPD_BwE

I don't use a fiddle with a becket cause when your up you have to be able to release so you can descend.

I'm using a racheting fiddle block, that locks as you ascend, and will allow slippage depending on the pressure applied to the fiddle blocks pulley at the top.
1/2" line.
Ronstan makes these, Harkin as well.
I can get those item numbers if you want.

5:1 requires, 5 times the length of your mast, add 10', but you can stage the rig higher with help to raise the halyard higher after you suspend yourself part way up, say spreader height.

Be sure to clip on to fittings ect. With a static safety line, in case something gives.
And DO a test close to the deck by bouncing in the harness, give it your full weight + Bounce.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 13:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgib View Post
I am not a former climber, and I am 62 years old, so climbing the mast solo was never going to be my first choice, but I had to do so whilst sailing solo on an Atlantic 48 - a Chris White designed cat. I had purchased a 'Topclimber' - a Dutch design - before leaving, and found it easy to use. For a novice I now think it is an essential bit of kit for solo and even short handed water sailing">blue water sailing.

Learnings:
- try it before you leave shore I didn't and that was plain stupid
- Make sure the line you are going up on is super tight. I winched my halyard tight and at deck level it was away from the mast a bit, and I think that helped.
- wear protective clothing. I was at sea, and the boat was moving around a bit. If you are using an ascender you often need both hands for that, so you can be swung around a bit. I wish I'd put on something padded before I went up - I got some minor bruises
- take your time. I am reasonably fit, and found it not to hard to go up 20m, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it twice in one day.
- take your camera phone - who will believe you otherwise?
Just clip your static safety line around the mast, with and small bit of slack and sliding it up as you go, like a lineman.
If the rig breaks you'll be pull into the mast and it'll grab.
Better than a fall.
And you won't swing.
Boatyarddog
Old 08-12-2021, 13:40   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Re. mast steps, I've been up the mast twice at sea, and BOTH times the main was set (the boat rolls less that way). Simply put, the steps were not accessible.

Pendelum? No, I just kept one had around the back of the mast and used the shrouds when in reach. Once I was using a Mastmate, the other a rope-walker system.

I have perhaps a thousand days spent climbing rock or ice, so it's sort of cheating. Relaxing, actually.
Use a static safety tether to check your swing, and access your steps while the main is set, climbing the front of the mast.

Seems to work fine, jib halyard assist, if they are both set, use your spinnaker halyard.

Boatyarddog
Old 08-12-2021, 13:58   #53
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Use a static safety tether to check your swing, and access your steps while the main is set, climbing the front of the mast.

Seems to work fine, jib halyard assist, if they are both set, use your spinnaker halyard.

Boatyarddog

Just do the Hogo Boss.

More seriously, if you are climbing the windward side while heeling, you can used the slides as hand and foot holds, giving a good boost.

Tags
bed, mast