Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 18:00   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Clutches, Cams, or Clams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaToast View Post
Would cam or clam cleats provide enough holding power for the halyards on a 20' non-racing boat in inland waters? I know many folks on larger boats run these lines thru clutches prior to the halyard winch, but are they necessary on a small boat?
I would not run a halyard to a clam cleat, but would not have a problem with using a cam cleat on that size boat. I agree with delmarrey, however, that jam cleats are the bee's knees.

Not that delmarrey said anything about bees. Or knees.
Old 04-03-2011, 18:00   #17

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Cam cleats would be the least expensive and easiest to use, but I can see that if I'm running more than 4 lines back to the cockpit, 4 cam cleats (even if they are staggered) will take up more space than a 3 or 4 line clutch. Guess I'll dig deep into the wallet for a 4 line clutch.
They wont take up more room if you stagger them fore and aft by an inch , so one overlaps the other slightly with enough room for the lines to pass between them

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Seems like overkill to me for a 20 footer, but there are some aspects of clutch operation that are nice for the single-hander. They are certainly tidy.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:52   #19

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Seems like overkill to me for a 20 footer, but there are some aspects of clutch operation that are nice for the single-hander. They are certainly tidy.
Must have seemed so to the manufacturer as well, as this boat came with no winches or cleats.

I will be single-handing most of the time.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Clutches are great and I have six of them but on a smaller boat you have to run line organizers and fair leads and mast blocks to keep the leads true and the added turns can be a problem in the very light loads of a small boat. The added friction makes you lose the feel in your hand. In a bigger boat they just pull like heck.

I would think Jam and Clam cleats would be cheapest. You just can't screw up with those. Cam's have more parts but would handle the loads you need to deal with but I think they cost more. I use them with the staysail traveler, my furling lines and on the davits. For a traveler I really like them.

You probably don't have self tailing winches and a jam would I think be the most solid.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33   #21

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Must have seemed so to the manufacturer as well, as this boat came with no winches or cleats.

I will be single-handing most of the time.
Then maybe it's your "treat" to yourself. Like you could easily rig a line and a bungee cord for limited self-steering, but the smallest tillerpilot would make it more "restful"!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote