Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 15:38   #1

Boat: Tartan 37C
Cockpit reefing systems

Ahoy,

I just purchased a 1980 Tartan 37c. I would like some advice on systems that have worked well for a singlehanded sailor with putting in a reef or two and shaking out a reef or two from the cockpit. I do not want to climb out of the cockpit and up to the mast for reefing. Staying in the cockpit, and more likely, out of harms way is my primary concern. I do not mind if the system you suggest is a bit costly. What good is having extra money in the bank if your are dead.

I thank everyone in advance for your suggestions, Capt. AJ
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 20:28   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Cockpit reefing systems

Two lines run aft to a set of clutches and a shared winch works well.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 21:33   #3

That's what I did, 4 lines altogether. Works a treat, apart from the extra friction when hoisting sail. But it's not too bad. The consensus seems to be that two lines per reef is much better than single, as one can adjust the tension in the clew line and adjust flatness of the sail.

In my implementation, the tack line is cleated to the mast, goes up to a block, then back down and back to the cockpit. More purchase, less friction.
Old 09-10-2018, 21:46   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Ditto on the above. I originally had butterfly blocks inside my boom and then the lines led aft. This allowed a simple one line per reef but oh Lord help you if something tangled with the blocks, which was often. I used to put off reefing for the longest time thinking it would be more trouble than it was worth. Kinda crazy to sail that way on San Francisco Bay. About a year ago, a friend helped me set up a single line system. Made it out of Spectra with cover at the winch end so super strong. Had to add extra deck hardware, blocks and more rope clutches. It works like a charm. I can quickly drop the sail to the reef point, pull the luff line in by hand, then flatten the sail with a few turns on the winch with the clew line. Love it! As far as friction goes, I open all the reef clutches and make sure the lines run smoothly when I raise the main again. If I've had a second reef in, it's a very deep one with a lot of line, which does cause a bit of friction. In that case, I'll tug the line where it comes out the boom end but that's right above my head in the cockpit so I never go forward when reefing. As to concerns about going forward, you should get over it. The whole debate about lines leading aft vs at the mast is a red herring because there will be plenty of other things you might need to go forward for.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit