Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 07:40   #1

Code 0/Gennaker sailcloth recommendations?

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advise regarding sailcloth for a Code 0/Gennaker sail. This sail will be freestanding with a torque rope in the luff so it can be used on a continuous line furler.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have a 43', 34,000lb (when loaded up), monohull that is really struggling above 90deg in light winds. In winds above 12kts it will happily sail along at 7-8 knots and in light winds below 90deg it's happy on it's asymmetrical. I'm looking to have that "motor saver" sail that will keep me moving in 5-12 knot true winds. This is cruising boat, so I'm not trying to set any speed records, but with the current heavy dacron genoa/main anything below 8kts and the sails flog. This sail does need to be economical as I'm not expecting it to be used frequently, only as an alternative to motoring when the winds die.

Here are my options:
I've contacted 4 sail makers and have received 4 different opinions:

1. Contender Maxilite 1.75oz - $1915 OR Superkote 1.1oz - $2750
2. Contender Nylite 1.1oz - $2950
3. Challenge 1.5oz - $2150
4. This loft strongly suggested anything other than a laminate was more or less a waste of time. CZ 15 Silver Laminate - $3592

This is the first new sail I have ordered and I don't have experience with light wind sails other than spinnakers. What are your thoughts?
ElCapt Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:55   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Code 0/Gennaker sailcloth recommendations?

Drew,
Be helpful for more info on your boat, but let me see if I got it correctly from what you wrote.

You have an assym and you need to go upwind better in light air (is this correct?).
If this is correct, have your tried something like an ATN tacker or parrel beads to go up wind better w/the assym. up?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Drew,
Be helpful for more info on your boat, but let me see if I got it correctly from what you wrote.

Hi Bill,

Sure, it's a Pan Oceanic 43. (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oceanic-43)

Yes, you are correct. I am trying to solve the problem of upwind in very light air.

My assym does have a tacker like device on it. I've not tried beads. The highest it will point is probably 85deg apparent, with a very attentive eye on the helm. I don't have the dimensions of the sail, but I have always felt it was quite small for the boat.

I am not a spinnaker expert, nor am I extremely experienced with spinnaker sailing, however it was my understanding 85 deg is about all you can expect from an assym.
Old 13-02-2022, 08:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapt Drew View Post
Hi Bill,

Sure, it's a Pan Oceanic 43. (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oceanic-43)

Yes, you are correct. I am trying to solve the problem of upwind in very light air.

My assym does have a tacker like device on it. I've not tried beads. The highest it will point is probably 85deg apparent, with a very attentive eye on the helm. I don't have the dimensions of the sail, but I have always felt it was quite small for the boat.

Your hull is very similar to ours. We run a heavier 130 genoa and can usually get good speed upwind ~8kts of true wind.

Is your boat a cutter w/a small high cut genoa? For light air you may want to switch to a larger genoa.

Do you have any pics of you flying the assym.? Depending on how it is cut, maybe you can't get much more than 85 degrees from that particular sail. Some cuts are better than others.

When you get back out there, would try to tighten up the luff to see if that helps.

(image from a previous CF post)
Old 15-02-2022, 16:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Is your boat a cutter w/a small high cut genoa? For light air you may want to switch to a larger genoa.

Do you have any pics of you flying the assym.?

Yes, she is a cutter. The Genoa is a heavy dacron sail. Approx 140%. I would not describe it as high cut.

Here is a picture of the spinnaker flying. It came with the boat, but I always thought it looked kind of small.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	272525105_346557090674037_335731383744017951_n.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	253041  
Old 16-02-2022, 10:38   #6

Drew,
Tighten up the luff a bit and you may get to 70 degrees. Did you ever try to bring the sheeting nearer to the genoa leads with a barber hauler? This should help you point up a few more degrees.

Other than that, a code 0/screecher would be what you would want for lighter air to get less than 90 degrees. Should be able to use your same furler.
Old 19-02-2022, 01:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapt Drew View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advise regarding sailcloth for a Code 0/Gennaker sail. This sail will be freestanding with a torque rope in the luff so it can be used on a continuous line furler.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have a 43', 34,000lb (when loaded up), monohull that is really struggling above 90deg in light winds. In winds above 12kts it will happily sail along at 7-8 knots and in light winds below 90deg it's happy on it's asymmetrical. I'm looking to have that "motor saver" sail that will keep me moving in 5-12 knot true winds. This is cruising boat, so I'm not trying to set any speed records, but with the current heavy dacron genoa/main anything below 8kts and the sails flog. This sail does need to be economical as I'm not expecting it to be used frequently, only as an alternative to motoring when the winds die.

Here are my options:
I've contacted 4 sail makers and have received 4 different opinions:

1. Contender Maxilite 1.75oz - $1915 OR Superkote 1.1oz - $2750
2. Contender Nylite 1.1oz - $2950
3. Challenge 1.5oz - $2150
4. This loft strongly suggested anything other than a laminate was more or less a waste of time. CZ 15 Silver Laminate - $3592

This is the first new sail I have ordered and I don't have experience with light wind sails other than spinnakers. What are your thoughts?
If it is Nylon, its not really a code zero, its more of an asymmetrical spinnaker, even if the luff is straight with a torsion rope. Out of the Nylons listed Superkote is the best, then Maxilite. Nylite and Challenge Fibermax are the cheapest.
CZ 15 Silver on the other hand is a laminate mostly used on race sails.
What we use, and is a good in between is Contender Stormlite or Dimension Precision Polyester. These are woven polyester materials so perform better than the Nylon, but are more durable and long lasting than the laminates.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gennaker, men, sail