Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:32   #1

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island
Code 0 or Asym Spinnaker on genoa/jib furler?

I'm out at sea, and solo, and my spinnaker halyard chaffed through on something and snapped. I'm in very light air, only a 1.5 knots SOG on a broad reach, and my 145 Genoa is too heavy to hold well in light air, even with the whisker pole out. I'm curious if I could throw my asym or code 0 on my profurl for the time being. Both the Code 0 and Asym are 1.5oz fabric. Both don't have socks or furlers. Predict Wind and Windy both say I'm not supposed to see over 10kt of wind for the next 5 days on my current course(should arrive at my destination in about 2 days, hopefully). Just wanted to get some opinions if I should or shouldn't. Would make my life quiet a bit easier though! Thanks!
TheDrunkenKetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:53   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Code 0 or Asym Spinnaker on genoa/jib furler?

I'm not sure how you would do that, as those sails don't have a luff tape?

Any way to replace the broken halyard? Pole out the Genoa to windward, and run the Assym to leeward.
Old Today, 10:24   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Code 0 or Asym Spinnaker on genoa/jib furler?

Without at least a wire luff, your Code 0 and Asym will simply twist into bunches at the bottom if you attach them to your R/F drum. Also beware of using your jib halyard for the downwind sails. The sheave and housing for the jib halyard may not be designed for the off-center pull of the sails, the way the spinnaker halyards are. The angle might cause the jib halyard to chafe against the housing or forestay, leading it to break as well.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, Genoa, jib, spinnaker