Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 06:37   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Code Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On a cruising boat. What do you think, worth the bucks?
If it is already on the boat then yes, but to buy probably not unless you are going to be doing long light wind trips,

We like flying ours, but have only gotten to for 4 days the past 10 months
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 06:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If it is already on the boat then yes, but to buy probably not unless you are going to be doing long light wind trips,

We like flying ours, but have only gotten to for 4 days the past 10 months
I think, that is the truth of the matter. Fantastic when can be used, but unless you are in the right area for the conditions required, it its in the sail locker a lot.

I was going to buy a cruising chute.... talked out of it by guys who had them but not the conditions to justify my purchasing...

You have to modify your setup? Sailorboy1 is on the money... dont do it..

(But you can if you want)

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 07:12   #18

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
ABOSLUTLY!! a cruising code zero on a continuous line furler. Rigged on the spin halyard. . Since I purchased it a year and half ago , the Asym hasn't been out of the bag.

Its way more versatile than a chute . It is totally manageable by myself .

One of the best bits of money I've ever spent on the boat. On the crossing from Malaysia to the Maldives it was up for 7 days straight. The sail made the passage.....

best point of sail is a close reach. I rig an inhauler and it makes all the difference in the world.

Not quite as good deep down wind as the Asym , but i dont like sailing Super deep down wind anyway.

I purchased mine from Jaime and Phil at Zoom Sails.
Did you add a sprit?
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 07:20   #19

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
A64pilot,

Yes, it is a lot of money, but, you said, "it would help a lot, I think." You'll never do it any younger, man. And then, at least you'll start out set up the way you hope is best.

It is *only* money, which we all want to conserve, and you're talking about the rest of your life, for a while. Set the boat up the way you think will be best, and you can't do any more than that. If it turns out you don't like it, well, then maybe the guy did a good sales job on you, but if you want to enhance your sailing, you have to experiment. If your 130 is old and awful, replace it with whatever, but it could be wise to keep it if it's in good nick. By the way, the clue to longevity of a very lght air sail is NEVER let it stay up when the breeze is at the upper limit. That will quickly ruin its shape.

As for making multiple changes all at once, it makes it harder to tell the result of an experiment.

I think you will probably not intentionally go out in winds over 25 for a while, and then curiosity will get the better of you, and you will want to learn how best to handle the boat in stronger and stronger winds, and it will happen as your confidence grows and grows. Maybe even your wife will accompany you doing this, because it is much to her advantage to learn her limits. Do it somewhere there can be hot showers afterwards, and a pleasant relaxing evening.

Ann
WOW! Ann
This is good advice that applies to every system, every situation and every sailor! It has certainly been my experience.

Read it again, should be posted on the wall,
Thanks!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:21   #20

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Yes I added a "Prodder " fabbed out of SS> I was looking for pics of it for the current Rocna thread.

So I was curious my CCZ is 165% and cut out of 3.25 ounce Polyant cruise Polyester. Its 70.6sq and is on a Profurl NEX 25 endless line furler.

I was in SE Aia at the time and the wind comes an goes, I opted for a UV strip
in a material called AIRTEX UV.

This was something we talked about quite a bit. One option was to do it with out a UV strip and just take it down all the time and store it in the bag.

Hmm, Im not a sailmaker but a UV strip heavy enough on the light fabric to leave up all the time (sunbrealla) doesn't sound right to me. It will most certainly add an enorumous amount weight to the leech and change the shape of the sail.

Id be a bit apprehensive to leave that light a sail up and furled all the time. I about cried once early on when i was still figuring out the system when the sail partially unfurled in high winds ( left up ) and wrapped around itself. Twice while i was figuring out how to fly and use the endless line furler i had moments of stark terror.

I guess I'd be asking the following.
IS this for long range crossing oceans world cruising or for local costal cruising?

IS it worth it to me to not run the motor as much and sail. Or are you ok bobbing around in the middle of the Ocean ( seeing that there are times you cant run the engine do to fuel conservation).

For me and the sailing I do the set up was worth the 4K spent...... Ill never not have one for long distance sailing in the future...

I am surprised one of the sailmakers who post on here hasnt piped up .

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:30   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Code Zero

UV strip is not Sunbrella, I mis-spoke, Sunbrella is too heavy, almost 9 oz cloth I think.
It's I think Marblehead sail cloth, but may be wrong. It good for about half the time Sunbrella is , about 5 yrs I'm told if left up all the time.
I plan on leaving it out for light wind season and store it during windy season.
Anything I can do to cut down on motor usage I want to do, within reason anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:33   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Sunbrella is far to heavy for a UV strip on a 2.2oz nylon sail. Actually nothing would really work well as a UV strip as it needs to stretch with the sail, and nylon is quite stretchy. This fabric is normally used for heavy spinnakers rather than code zero's.
We use 3.25oz Polyester as its more stable, has a lot better UV resistance than Nylon for passage making.
It is a risk leaving any sail furled on a torsion rope hoisted when the boat is unattended as they don't furl so tight.

My own CZ was I made from a laminated fabric without UV and we used it a fair bit but mostly in SE Asia rather than the Pacific.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:37   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Guy;2432059]
Quote:
So you would use the spin crane for the code 0. Where would you attach it down below? You would need another bow sprit or maybe a lashing?

They are going to build something, I assume to attach it to the anchor roller, not sure where really. I wondered the same thing.
Old 13-07-2017, 13:09   #24

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Might want to take a close look inside the masthead. On my Isomat NG1 there were recesses in the casting for an internal spinnaker halyard sheave and small roller. Easy to fabricate (some pictures in IP Homeport). We attach the tack to the side of the anchor roller. Our anchor rollers are the same size but you will have a larger sail.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:42   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
UV strip is not Sunbrella, I mis-spoke, Sunbrella is too heavy, almost 9 oz cloth I think.
It's I think Marblehead sail cloth, but may be wrong. It good for about half the time Sunbrella is , about 5 yrs I'm told if left up all the time.
I plan on leaving it out for light wind season and store it during windy season.
Anything I can do to cut down on motor usage I want to do, within reason anyway.
A64pilot:

Are they going to fabricate a prod? The other question I have is where will it be sheeted to? since you mentioned the car for the 130 is as far aft as your tracks go. Will they have to add a reinforced pad eye way astern that then the sheet will lead and then forward to winch? or will it lead fair from near the stern to the winch? Do you have secondaries or only primaries? I really wouldn't do it if you also have to purchase a set of winches and figure out how/where to mount them. I know it's a lovely idea, but each modification will add time and money, and you aren't used to living aboard while work is going on, so you'll still be renting. It just makes the job too expensive. Not that you couldn't do it, but it's getting close to playing with the boat rather than sailing it. No boat ever leaves perfectly set up, it's impractical to aim for aircraft type perfection. There are places along the way where you can make modifications.

It's one of the places you need specific IP advice. I can easily imagine that an assymetrical spinnaker in a sock would work better for you (although not on the same points of sail.) If you keep a light air set of sheets on it when stowed, it will not be all that hard to set, not enough to put you off it. It will move the boat in conditions no others of its sails will. (We can be down to a frustrating 2 knots, but set the chute--it's a masthead kite with a 17 ft. spinnaker pole, not an assy, but a full shouldered kite--and soon we're at 5.5 to 6. It's magic! I love it! It's "free speed". The chute came with the boat, and was used, off a Santa Cruz 52.)

Which brings me to another point, there are vendors of used sails in the world. 2nd hand spinnakers, used one or two seasons are often just carted to to dump. If you put the word out, you can probably pick up a good used 3/4 oz. chute that will fit your boat. And it would fit your budget better than adding a prod, and and pad eyes and whatnot..

I would not do anything at all to a brand new 130 except to tell it thanks for the helps it's given. Now, the 110, if you're heading out into the Pacific, it would be a blessing to have a new 110, or even a 100 for stronger winds. What you should experience is that the boat will sail more "on her feet" in the stronger winds, with a sail that isn't blown out. Incidentally, that was for enhanced trade winds. Often, the trip across the Pacific is mainly a light air one.

More food for thought.

Ann
Old 13-07-2017, 13:48   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
but think if not needed, maybe stored in a bag is better as it's 2.2 oz nylon.
It is dealing with the furler for it that is the problem. You know you don't want to kink it, so find out how big a package it will make and if you can fit it into your sail locker. So not "assume" the seller will have thought of mentioning any difficulties you might have with it. He's engaged in filling his rice pot, so to say.

Ann
Old 13-07-2017, 14:01   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Code Zero

This may answer some questions, I too wondered about the tracks but assume the foot is cut to accommodate it. No new winches etc.
https://youtu.be/ravdBvqNEbA
Old 13-07-2017, 14:07   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It is dealing with the furler for it that is the problem. You know you don't want to kink it, so find out how big a package it will make and if you can fit it into your sail locker. So not "assume" the seller will have thought of mentioning any difficulties you might have with it. He's engaged in filling his rice pot, so to say.

Ann

Ann, this thing is attached to a piece of Dynema, not a foil. My understanding from other sources is that once furled, you drop it and put it in a bag and it takes up less space since its wrapped tightly.
Now I have not seen one, sort of intrigued though.
Old 13-07-2017, 14:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Code Zero

There is a lot of info here too.
http://www.sailingtotem.com/2014/07/...-cruising.html
Old 13-07-2017, 14:17   #30

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Quote:
Ann, this thing is attached to a piece of Dynema, not a foil. My understanding from other sources is that once furled, you drop it and put it in a bag and it takes up less space since its wrapped tightly.
Now I have not seen one, sort of intrigued though.

Mine fits in a 36 x 18 x 18 box bag with a sheet attached

From experience these things are not designed to be left up for long periods of time. If will bounce around, sag and get in the way. Its kinda hard to explain . you wouldnt want it up in heavy weather.

Ill try and find some pics of the prodder i built.

My sheet leads aft to a tirning block and then to either off the winches.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero