Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 18:24   #16

Boat: corbin39
Re: Compact Stranded 1x19 Wire (Dyform) Groove

That looks pretty bad one almost looks like it's in cut in half.when I got my wire it came in a box from loos wire I used hi mod fitting on it
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:34   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Those later close-up pictures really show how bad it is.

And the number of strands compromised is excessive. I count at least 6 of the 19 and probably much more if you were to follow the damage up and down the length of the wire.

So I am now firmly in the camp that says "it is unacceptable".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:50   #18

Boat: Islander 36

[QUOTE=feudalkaos;3015858]
.... but I am not sure it would have a significant impact on strength.

QUOTE]

Significant... on strength and longevity.. IMO. Pretty much the same thing.
Old 14-11-2019, 19:51   #19

Worked in a rigging shop for years and would often get bad spools in shipments of 2-3 pallets. Scratches and sometimes magnetic wire was not that uncommon. WE would return it every time.

Not sure other shops would have such a solid relationship with their suppliers.

You mentioned rust... I’d check the rigging with a good magnet...

Also that last image is kinda gnarly. I’d ask the rigger to replace it. Or just change it yourself. Either way, you’ll sleep better.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 21:58   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

That would worry the crap out of me. That looks like a significant loss of strength.

Would you mind letting us all know who the manufacturer was?
Old 15-11-2019, 06:52   #21

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm normally a guy that lets a lot slide. Not that. There is considerable damamge to all of the outside wires. That looks like "do it over." The old wire was probably better. That wire is ruined. It isn't a dent, it is a scratch, and there is metal torn out and missing.
I totally agree with you. This is area and the other 3 like it are beyond what I would be willing to let go. The first picture I posted is what they are calling "normal". I have two wires with a mark on them. One has three areas with damage like this and the other just has a small indent like the first picture.

Just trying to gauge if both wires should be replaced under a warranty.
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 06:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that looks like it has been done accidentally with a 1.2 mm stainless cutting disk probably whilst it was on the wire drum and rolled up which would account for each damaged section being spread apart by a few feet/meters
I wondered the same thing.
Old 15-11-2019, 06:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
No way is that "normal"! Every external strand is significantly compromised by something dragging either in the manufacturing process of compressing the wire, or in handling it as it came off the spool. i'd be asking for replacement, and would not consider sailing with rigging whanged up like that.
Agree. We had planned on going out sailing but canceled when we saw this damage.
Old 15-11-2019, 06:55   #24

[QUOTE=Minggat;3016043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalkaos View Post
.... but I am not sure it would have a significant impact on strength.

QUOTE]

Significant... on strength and longevity.. IMO. Pretty much the same thing.
I agree that the second picture represents a significant impact on strength. It is badly damaged. I was suggesting that the first picture I posted on the first page where it is just a minor indention might not be significant. Thoughts?
Old 15-11-2019, 06:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Worked in a rigging shop for years and would often get bad spools in shipments of 2-3 pallets. Scratches and sometimes magnetic wire was not that uncommon. WE would return it every time.

Not sure other shops would have such a solid relationship with their suppliers.

You mentioned rust... I’d check the rigging with a good magnet...

Also that last image is kinda gnarly. I’d ask the rigger to replace it. Or just change it yourself. Either way, you’ll sleep better.
Good idea on the magnet. I hadn't thought about that yet. I do not see rust anywhere but the grooves so I am inclined to think it is just where other metal has hit the wire but I will check with the magnet to be sure.
Old 15-11-2019, 06:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That would worry the crap out of me. That looks like a significant loss of strength.

Would you mind letting us all know who the manufacturer was?
I am happy to share the rigging company name however I would like to wait for them to have a chance to resolve the issue. I am not looking to create bad blood. This could easily be a simple mistake in QC (maybe someone was in a hurry).

Hopefully they step up to resolve it and quickly. Unfortunately, so far it feels like I am getting shuffled around.
Old 15-11-2019, 07:09   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What would be determined with the proposed "magnet check"? 300 series stainless steels start out non-magnetic but can become somewhat magnetic when cold worked, and wire forming falls into that category I believe. The specific alloy and the degree of cold working affect the degree that a magnet (of unknown strength) will be attracted.

So what do you think will be learned ??

Jim
Old 15-11-2019, 07:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What would be determined with the proposed "magnet check"? 300 series stainless steels start out non-magnetic but can become somewhat magnetic when cold worked, and wire forming falls into that category I believe. The specific alloy and the degree of cold working affect the degree that a magnet (of unknown strength) will be attracted.

So what do you think will be learned ??

Jim
Well, I am under the impression that 304 stainless normally responds to a magnet but 316 normally does not. I was thinking that if it responds to a magnet it is likely 304 stainless or something other than 316 which is what is is supposed to be.

Perhaps my impression of this is incorrect?
Old 15-11-2019, 07:26   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Compact Stranded 1x19 Wire (Dyform) Groove

To lend a little more credence to Jim’s statement as I know that apparently some take magnets to the chandlery to try to determine “good” SS, unfortunately cold working which also has a tendency to make the steel stronger like forging for instance also can make it magnetic.
There are two ways that threads can be put into screws and bolts, one is to cut them like a die does, and that seriously weakens the components. However the better and more common way is to pass the screw or bolt through rollers that literally squeeze threads into the fastener, this actually serves to strengthen the component but as it’s cold working it may make the steel mildly magnetic.
So it’s very possible that testing by magnet may pass up the “good” stuff and have you buying weaker stuff, possibly.
https://www.microgroup.com/understan...ainless-steel/

Die forming wire and indeed the manufacture of wire are both cold working, so if you pass up magnetic stainless wire, I’d assume your passing up quite a bit of wire.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 08:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To lend a little more credence to Jim’s statement as I know that apparently some take magnets to the chandlery to try to determine “good” SS, unfortunately cold working which also has a tendency to make the steel stronger like forging for instance also can make it magnetic.
There are two ways that threads can be put into screws and bolts, one is to cut them like a die does, and that seriously weakens the components. However the better and more common way is to pass the screw or bolt through rollers that literally squeeze threads into the fastener, this actually serves to strengthen the component but as it’s cold working it may make the steel mildly magnetic.
So it’s very possible that testing by magnet may pass up the “good” stuff and have you buying weaker stuff, possibly.
https://www.microgroup.com/understan...ainless-steel/

Die forming wire and indeed the manufacture of wire are both cold working, so if you pass up magnetic stainless wire, I’d assume your passing up quite a bit of wire.

Great information. Thank you. I was not aware that cold working could potentially cause it to become magnetic. I will keep this in mind in the future.

Any thoughts on other ways to determine quality for this kind of wire?