Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 12:31   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Compact Stranded 1x19 Wire (Dyform) Groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalkaos View Post
Well, I am under the impression that 304 stainless normally responds to a magnet but 316 normally does not. I was thinking that if it responds to a magnet it is likely 304 stainless or something other than 316 which is what is is supposed to be.

Perhaps my impression of this is incorrect?
To amplify A64s words, 304 is more susceptible to becoming magnetic by cold working than is 316. This fact has lead to the belief that mag-testing of s/s components can determine the alloy. This belief is not true.

Back to your problem... I'd not accept that wire willingly. However, I would not forsake sailing very long while awaiting a decision by the vendor or rigger: while not full strength, sailing in anything but survival conditions will not (IMO) lead to failure of the wire. Rigs are designed to stand up to severe conditions even when a bit aged... they have large safety factors.

Jim
Old 15-11-2019, 14:53   #32

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
To amplify A64s words, 304 is more susceptible to becoming magnetic by cold working than is 316. This fact has lead to the belief that mag-testing of s/s components can determine the alloy. This belief is not true.

Back to your problem... I'd not accept that wire willingly. However, I would not forsake sailing very long while awaiting a decision by the vendor or rigger: while not full strength, sailing in anything but survival conditions will not (IMO) lead to failure of the wire. Rigs are designed to stand up to severe conditions even when a bit aged... they have large safety factors.

Jim
Jim, that is the best things I have heard about this so far. I hate not sailing but its hard to justify doing it if there is a large risk. Its nice to hear that it isnt as big of a risk as I had thought.

The manufacturer is sending his distributor (happens to be near me) over to see the groove. Its a step in a positive direction hopefully.
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:15   #33

That is likely a tool mark but it also IS a defect.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 15:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalkaos View Post
Well, I am under the impression that 304 stainless normally responds to a magnet but 316 normally does not. I was thinking that if it responds to a magnet it is likely 304 stainless or something other than 316 which is what is is supposed to be.

Perhaps my impression of this is incorrect?
Any 300 series CAN be magnetic. 316, 321 is less prone to be. It's a matter of cold work/stress in it. Cold finished bar can be very magnetic. So the magnet test is a good test for the quality of some things... unless that item needs the cold work in it to raise the strength level!
Solution treated 300 series to remove cold work and reorient the grain structure, which eliminates magnetism, is a sign of a well thought out manufacturing process. But seldom done in boat stuff, commonly done in aircraft stuff though.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:52   #35

Boat: Sabre 402

Isn’t there a magnetism experiment in Science class, where you take a steel nail and bang on it with a hammer for a while, and then put it in a plastic dish floating in a pan? It turns to line up North/South. After artillery barrages, Navy ships end up getting magnetized and have readjust their de-Gaussing equipment. Cold-forming!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 18:34   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That wire needs to be replaced. As far as I know it's KOS or DSR two Korean manufacturers that make compact strand. Have sold a decent amount of DSR compact strand last 3 years with no issues. Perhaps another company is making compact also
Old 29-11-2019, 19:54   #37

Boat: Hunter 410

Quick update. The wire distributor happens to be nearby so two of their representatives came by to take a look.

They were here for only a few minutes and immediately agreed it was a manufacturing issue. It is schedule to be replaced next week. I will post an update after the replacement to let you know how it all turned out.b

Not looking forward to the in-water replacement since we are a B&R rig (no backstay) and this is one of the side stays. Should be an exciting job.
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 20:05   #38
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good outcome and thanks for letting us know
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote