Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2022, 09:35   #1

Convert split back stay to single

Hello forum.

I am building a solar arch to hold a large solar array (720W). Currently my back stay splits just above the cockpit deck into an inverted Y, and anchors at each corner of the transom. A block system allows me add or release tension on the back stay to tune sail shape. The system is likely a product of the designers wanting to appeal to ‘racier’ consumers. The split stay is forcing me to design my solar arch to hold the solar panels aft of the ‘Y’ which pushes the entire set up further behind the stern than I would like, overhanging the transom significantly. If I had a single stay then I would be able to put the solar panels almost all the way to the boom, providing shelter at the helm like a Bimini of sorts, and keeping the weight further off the stern. The back stay would just run between the panels.

Has anyone converted a split stay to a single stay? I am not very interested in retaining the ability to adjust stay tension - I don’t see myself as a racer. Just a cruiser. The problems I see are reinforcing the transom appropriately, fastening a new chain plate on the Center line of the transom, and getting a new section of back stay rigging made (either the entire piece, or just enough to bridge the gap between the transom and the old split point).

Thanks!
coldcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 10:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Convert split back stay to single

There's no reason it can't be done, so long as the modifications are done right. It may be that the transon will need more than just local reinforcement if it's not designed with a chainplate amidships: you might need to add supporting structure that spreads the load to more area.
Only an expert can tell you for sure, but as long as the transom can take it, it's a fine idea.
Old 27-10-2022, 11:48   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

I converted one the other way, single to split, to get the stay out of the middle of the boarding ladder. It was pretty simple, I just made two new chain plates same dimensions and material as the original and had a local rigger modify the stay. Got the 316 SS flat bar from a local metal dealer. You'd have to replace your stay but with Stalok or Hayn fittings that's DIY and you can measure and cut on the boat, less chance of getting the length wrong. They look expensive but by the time you pay the rigging shop to put on the cheaper swedge fittings, the Stalok's are cheaper.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 13:45   #4

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

If the transom doesn't seem like it can be modified to take a centerline chainplate, you could just shorten the bottom of the split to below the solar panels. You may need to upsize the legs, if the original ones are a size down from the backstay itself.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 00:08   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

It is doable ,the y system takes the load to the hull transom corner by design quite strong,if possible take the new chain plate to the lower corner of the transom hull on the centre line,you may need to fabricate a knee inside the hull and well glass in ,not knowing the model or design details of your vsl this is just a general answer .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 05:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiki View Post
If the transom doesn't seem like it can be modified to take a centerline chainplate, you could just shorten the bottom of the split to below the solar panels. You may need to upsize the legs, if the original ones are a size down from the backstay itself.
Be very careful with this advice. It may be possible within reason but it may not be as simple as upsizing the lower stays.

The lower you make the connection, the greater the angle between them and the higher the forces (if the angle is large, it can easily be 2-3 times the force). It may seem simple to just upsize the stays but you are also putting a lot more force on the chain plates and their attachments to the hull. In addition, you are changing the angle that they are pulling on the hull.

Assuming the boom just clears the current stays, I'm not entirely clear how a single backstay would allow you to move the solar panels significantly forward. If the stay will just sit in the gap between panels, you should be able to do something similar with 2 stays.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 06:14   #7

Boat: J Boats J/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanadian View Post
Hello forum.

I am building a solar arch to hold a large solar array (720W). Currently my back stay splits just above the cockpit deck into an inverted Y, and anchors at each corner of the transom. A block system allows me add or release tension on the back stay to tune sail shape. The system is likely a product of the designers wanting to appeal to ‘racier’ consumers. The split stay is forcing me to design my solar arch to hold the solar panels aft of the ‘Y’ which pushes the entire set up further behind the stern than I would like, overhanging the transom significantly. If I had a single stay then I would be able to put the solar panels almost all the way to the boom, providing shelter at the helm like a Bimini of sorts, and keeping the weight further off the stern. The back stay would just run between the panels.

Has anyone converted a split stay to a single stay? I am not very interested in retaining the ability to adjust stay tension - I don’t see myself as a racer. Just a cruiser. The problems I see are reinforcing the transom appropriately, fastening a new chain plate on the Center line of the transom, and getting a new section of back stay rigging made (either the entire piece, or just enough to bridge the gap between the transom and the old split point).

Thanks!
An adjustable backstay is not in the category of racing only. It may be important to your boats sailing ability.

We frequently use the adjustable backstay when sailing in cruising mode.

Depending on the boat, rig, and sail designs, your backstay may play a larger role in the overall sailing performance of your boat than some think.

What model boat do you have?
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single