Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 02:28   #1

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Converting a Furling Jib to Hanks

Has anyone converted a Roller furling jib to a hank on jib?

Originally the sail was a hank on number two, which was converted to be used on a furling system, this system has been removed and I want to use the sail again as a hank on sail, my question is 'does the sail needs to be recut if we go back to using hanks?' I am assuming it would need cloth added as im under the impression when they convert to a luff rope they take some depth out of the sail to allow good furling.

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 02:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Converting a furling jib to hanks

Damien, that depends on what happended when they coverted the sail. When we changed a sail from hanks to roller, we only paid for the hanks to be cut off and a new tape to be fitted. Didn't bother with the sail shape or uv protector.

If it's a No 2 why not just have a sail maker add new hanks and give it a go and see what it sets like. Sail makers likely to be busy at this time of year, a full recut might be better left until the Autumn.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 05:04   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Converting a Furling Jib to Hanks

Why would you even want to convert to a hank on jib? Everyone else goes the other way...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 06:42   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Why would you even want to convert to a hank on jib? Everyone else goes the other way...
I am ambivilant enough about roller furlers to go the other way if I got a boat whose furler wasn't working well and wasn't pretty new.

The sailmaker may need to install a luff rope or luff wire.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 15:23   #5

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

My background is offshore racing so changing sails at the pointy end is not an issue to me. That said the old furler was rubbish and that fact that it limited sail changes so much was bordering on a safety issue for me. I like to have the ability to change sails when needed so im not caught out with to much cloth up at the wrong time. and I didnt trust the old furler to not un roll at the worst possible time.

So that is why im going back to hanks. Some time in the future I may return to a furler but by that stage I will need a new jib anyway and I would get it made to suit.

I did think about putting hanks on without any alteration. If the sail was flattened out when modified to suit the furler surely it would just become a much flatter than normal number 2.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hanks