Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2022, 12:10   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Converting to in-boom main sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Why not put the winch on the cockpit coaming. Sistership photo - and dunno what that bit of bimini frame is doing.

Winch is abreast the helmsman's position so mainsheet can be adjusted without leaving the wheel.

Seems a lot simpler than your plan.

I will bring all winches forward of the wheel. The only time I stand behind the wheel is when I am motoring.

The new boat has a huge cockpit and I’m trying to bring all the winches into the same postcode.

I think I can see a pretty simple solution now, thanks to some ideas here. I went and mocked up some of the suggestions yesterday arvo.
Old 13-11-2022, 12:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
If you have a traveller for the main sheet ,it’s simple enough to run a whip main sheet ,one line fron the traveller car to a block set into the aft end of the boom to an exit block at the goose neck to a turning block at the base of the mast back to the winch ,one to one verry positive Verry simple.⛵️⚓️

Simple, yes, but then you end up dependent on the winch, which would worry me a little.
Old 13-11-2022, 14:04   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I acknowledge that running outside the boom should be considered, but I’d really like to stay inside if I can. I want to squeeze down the gap between the boom and bimini as much as I dare. I’m not short and headroom is at a premium. Plus I’ll be covering the bimini in hard solar panels and those corners are super-snaggy.

I'm not on the boat so unfortunately can't send you a photo before Thursday, but my mainsheet runs inside the boom, and I feel that this is the best way to do it, so I understand your desire. My boom is a Selden which was designed for this, with four sheaves at each end. It looks something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gooseneck.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	267374

The sheet is led from the traveler car into the end of the boom, through the length of the boom, over the sheave at the gooseneck, down to a turning block at the mast base, through an organizer on the cabintop, and then back through a Spinlock clutch to an electric winch next to the scuttle. The topping lift and outhaul are run through the boom in a similar way.

To make this work, I think you will need the sheaves in the boom ends, or perhaps in the underside of the boom near the ends. Don't know what kind of a job that would be, but maybe you could use exit blocks of some kind or another -- like these: https://www.harken.com/en/shop/protexit-exit-blocks/

In the worst case -- a new boom designed for this? That's an expensive way to do it, but if there are other things you would like to improve about your boom, maybe worth it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2022, 15:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm not on the boat so unfortunately can't send you a photo before Thursday, but my mainsheet runs inside the boom, and I feel that this is the best way to do it, so I understand your desire. My boom is a Selden which was designed for this, with four sheaves at each end. It looks something like this:

Attachment 267374

The sheet is led from the traveler car into the end of the boom, through the length of the boom, over the sheave at the gooseneck, down to a turning block at the mast base, through an organizer on the cabintop, and then back through a Spinlock clutch to an electric winch next to the scuttle. The topping lift and outhaul are run through the boom in a similar way.

To make this work, I think you will need the sheaves in the boom ends, or perhaps in the underside of the boom near the ends. Don't know what kind of a job that would be, but maybe you could use exit blocks of some kind or another -- like these: https://www.harken.com/en/shop/protexit-exit-blocks/

In the worst case -- a new boom designed for this? That's an expensive way to do it, but if there are other things you would like to improve about your boom, maybe worth it.
Yep, my boom is pretty similar at the goosneck. It's the outboard end that is the issue. But from the ideas posted so far I think I've got it sorted now.
Old 13-11-2022, 19:28   #20

Quote:

…Don't know what kind of a job that would be, but maybe you could use exit blocks of some kind or another -- like these: https://www.harken.com/en/shop/protexit-exit-blocks/

These were my original thought, but they seem to have a problem to my mind, and perhaps you can comment based on your own setup…

My concern is, when the boom is well out, such as when deep reaching, the sheet has to leave the boom at quite an angle sideways. I felt these sorts of fittings would bind and/or induce a lot of torsional force on the boom and gooseneck.

The fitting posted by sailormed appears to address this concern.
Old 13-11-2022, 23:26   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yep, my boom is pretty similar at the goosneck. It's the outboard end that is the issue. But from the ideas posted so far I think I've got it sorted now.

You have sheaves already there in the gooseneck end?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 13-11-2022, 23:32   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
These were my original thought, but they seem to have a problem to my mind, and perhaps you can comment based on your own setup…

My concern is, when the boom is well out, such as when deep reaching, the sheet has to leave the boom at quite an angle sideways. I felt these sorts of fittings would bind and/or induce a lot of torsional force on the boom and gooseneck.

The fitting posted by sailormed appears to address this concern.
Could work, but note that it swings in only one dimension, so will still will be challenging when the boom is well out. I would think you would need for that to rotate as well as swing.

I believe my boat solves this with an exit block leading to a block hanging below on a tang which is free to move in three dimension so align itself to the direction of the traveler, whatever that is. I do have sheaves right at the boom end also, but if I'm remembering right how it works, I think these are used just for topping lift and outhaul. The mainsheet comes out of the boom further forward (IIRC maybe a meter?) than the boom end, thence to that free-hanging block. I would think you could replicate that.

I'll be on the boat on Thursday and will photograph for you then.
Walt Whitman
Old 14-11-2022, 10:52   #23

Quote:
You have sheaves already there in the gooseneck end?

Yep. [emoji106]
Old 14-11-2022, 10:53   #24

Quote:
Could work, but note that it swings in only one dimension, so will still will be challenging when the boom is well out. I would think you would need for that to rotate as well as swing.

I believe my boat solves this with an exit block leading to a block hanging below on a tang which is free to move in three dimension so align itself to the direction of the traveler, whatever that is. I do have sheaves right at the boom end also, but if I'm remembering right how it works, I think these are used just for topping lift and outhaul. The mainsheet comes out of the boom further forward (IIRC maybe a meter?) than the boom end, thence to that free-hanging block. I would think you could replicate that.

I'll be on the boat on Thursday and will photograph for you then.

Thank you. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Meanwhile, I’m considering your observations about the extra angles involved. [emoji848]