Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
CORDAGE Question

The jib sheets on my Hallberg-Rassy 53 are several years old and have become quite stiff. I am thinking of replacing them and would appreciate any recommendations as to what line I might want to go with. thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:31   #2

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
We use Columbia Intrepid. It has a really nice hand and lasts a long time.

See Page 7 of the Catalog on Columbia Rope's website:
columbian2\contents

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50   #3

Can't imagine you'll need anything very fancy. Good old double braid to replace what you currently have, same diameter you have today or you can go to the Harken web site and look at sheet loads. Don't forget to end for end them once in a while.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 13:02   #4
GreatKetch

My jib sheets were just replaced after 15 years. The only reason to replace them was they got soiled in the recent oil spill is SF Bay. They were faded, but otherwise in good shape.

I replaced them with the same product, Stay-Set from New England Ropes. Stay-Set X is a different product and is NOT a good product for sheets, it's way too stiff, save it for halyards.

Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 13:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKetch View Post
My jib sheets were just replaced after 15 years. The only reason to replace them was they got soiled in the recent oil spill is SF Bay. They were faded, but otherwise in good shape.

I replaced them with the same product, Stay-Set from New England Ropes. Stay-Set X is a different product and is NOT a good product for sheets, it's way too stiff, save it for halyards.

Bill
Bill,
Keep your receipts, eventually you will be able to get your money back from the shipping company. It's going to take some time though. Keep the old sheets as proof of the damage.

I have some sampling gear damaged by the oil that I am doing the same with.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 16:43   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Too Young to Discard!

If your sheets are only a few years old, stiff but not otherwise damaged (frayed or worn covers or cores) they don't need to be replaced, simply cleaned to remove the salt crystals and accumulated dirt making them stiff. With a 53 foot boat, you're likely looking at 150' of sheets or so at something on the order of $300.00.

Take them home and soak them in warm (Not Hot!!!) fresh water for a while, exchanging the water once or twice every hour or two to drive off the salt. Then put each sheet in an individual mesh lingerie bag (see Bed, Bath and Beyond) or a cheap (read porus) pillow case and run them through the wash with warm water, soap, a cup full of household bleach and a cup full of fabric softener. Use the "Presoak" cycle and set the washer for an "Extra Large" load. (If you don't pre-bag the sheets you'll have a heck of a mess trying to unwind the lines and take the twist out once you've finished.) Then run a second wash with naught but a cup of fabric softener added to the wash water at the start--presoak cycle--again. Once you've been throught the foregoing, simply hang the lines in the garage to dry overnight and they'll be clean, soft and good as new the following day.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 17:29   #7

Haha, we usually break ours before they get stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
If your sheets are only a few years old, stiff but not otherwise damaged (frayed or worn covers or cores) they don't need to be replaced, simply cleaned to remove the salt crystals and accumulated dirt making them stiff. With a 53 foot boat, you're likely looking at 150' of sheets or so at something on the order of $300.00.

Take them home and soak them in warm (Not Hot!!!) fresh water for a while, exchanging the water once or twice every hour or two to drive off the salt. Then put each sheet in an individual mesh lingerie bag (see Bed, Bath and Beyond) or a cheap (read porus) pillow case and run them through the wash with warm water, soap, a cup full of household bleach and a cup full of fabric softener. Use the "Presoak" cycle and set the washer for an "Extra Large" load. (If you don't pre-bag the sheets you'll have a heck of a mess trying to unwind the lines and take the twist out once you've finished.) Then run a second wash with naught but a cup of fabric softener added to the wash water at the start--presoak cycle--again. Once you've been throught the foregoing, simply hang the lines in the garage to dry overnight and they'll be clean, soft and good as new the following day.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 17:36   #8

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKetch View Post

Bill
I throw my jib sheets and other running rigging in the washing machine once in a while. They come out clean & soft, just like new.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sheets in bags:
It also helps if you neatly coil the sheet and then tie it firmly (with some other small cord) in the middle, so it can't unbundle. THEN put it in a pillow case or mesh bag, in a FRONT LOADING WASHER.
Can't overemphasize the FRONT_LOADING part of that, you really don't want to explain to the Maytag Man how you got a hundred feet of line wrapped taughtly about the impeller in a top loader.[g]
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 16:42   #10

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sheets in bags:
It also helps if you neatly coil the sheet and then tie it firmly (with some other small cord) in the middle, so it can't unbundle. THEN put it in a pillow case or mesh bag, in a FRONT LOADING WASHER.
Can't overemphasize the FRONT_LOADING part of that, you really don't want to explain to the Maytag Man how you got a hundred feet of line wrapped taughtly about the impeller in a top loader.[g]
I second that.........

BTW.....We use Woolite. It gets the lines just as clean but it is not a harsh detergent that may deteriorate your "Sheets"
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 19:01   #11
Marine Service Provider

Fabric softener = yes
general detergents = yes but don't use piles
Bleaches and similar harsh stuff = no

Hot water = No
With Nylons COLD only
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 09:13   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"general detergents = yes but don't use piles"
Here in the States, climbers used to say never to use detergents--which are always synthetic compounds with questionable results on fibers. They stuck to Ivory Snow (Flakes, but the same as the bar soap) or Woolite, both of which are *soaps* as opposed to detergents, IIRC.
They clean well enough for ropework, when used with enough water and motion. And absolutely won't hurt the fibers.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 22:33   #13
Marine Service Provider

Soaps are good, forgot that one. Detergents are OK but as noted 'don't use lots'.

The basic rule of thumb is don't use anything you wouldn't happily smear all over your own skin.

Some of these new fibres are spectacular in some of their properties but can be very fragile. The time length of a wash can make a big difference, longer is good to let things work right into the core.

Obviously feel free to use Chocolate body sauce, marmite, apricot jam, whatever if you so desire but you'll find it a lot more fun if you rub those on your ............
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 23:12   #14

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
you'll find it a lot more fun if you rub those on your .........
........................squabs, then you can snack while sailing.