Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 14:50   #1

Cost efficient windvane?

Thinking on reducing my "electricity bill" for passage making, and the Autohelm is quite a power hog. The Golden Globe brought up some interesting stories last year, with disappearing posts on failed units.

I concluded, the 5000+€ units are no flawless miracle makers and went on with my research. Found the and the Mister Vee package.

They both seem light and simple, would even dare saying fragile. Any experience with these kits? I'd mount it on an 8tons/34' boat.
Old 31-07-2019, 15:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cost efficient windvane?

If you have a wheel steered boat, have you looked at a CPT autopilot?
In truth I can’t determine its electrical consumption as it’s a pulsed thing, but it’s low enough so that I don’t even notice it.
The literature says it has a .4amp average draw. And then of course says that varies on conditions of course.
But even if they are off by 300% and that’s unlikely, but it would still only be 1.2 amps, which is just about nothing.

But if they are correct, then it consumes about 10 AH if used continuously for 24 hours.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 15:26   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Cost efficient windvane?

It sounds like maybe some of these these golden globe people took off without knowing **** about their new to them windvane. An Aries windvane works just fine. For example, an Aries comes with 3 shaft break away sleeves. I bet none of these guy's had even one spare. People buy used **** and expect it to be great. Start with one that works, tune it up and learn how to use it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 20:35   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I was building a Hebridean for a year or so (this was before he started selling the metal pieces already laser cut so I had to metal work on angle bar and the like! SO much work but I learnt a lot)

I got it 80% finished and then sold it - I decided I wanted a windvane that doubled as an emergency rudder.

The after-sale support from the guy with the Hebridean is excellent, and he's always improving the design. I'd email him and ask about your boat! I think there is a limit of a meter high transom.
Old 25-01-2020, 14:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you have a wheel steered boat, have you looked at a CPT autopilot?
In truth I can’t determine its electrical consumption as it’s a pulsed thing, but it’s low enough so that I don’t even notice it.
The literature says it has a .4amp average draw. And then of course says that varies on conditions of course.
But even if they are off by 300% and that’s unlikely, but it would still only be 1.2 amps, which is just about nothing.

But if they are correct, then it consumes about 10 AH if used continuously for 24 hours.
Thank you, interesting but I want something that works even if the batteries/electricity are completely dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I was building a Hebridean for a year or so (this was before he started selling the metal pieces already laser cut so I had to metal work on angle bar and the like! SO much work but I learnt a lot)

I got it 80% finished and then sold it - I decided I wanted a windvane that doubled as an emergency rudder.

The after-sale support from the guy with the Hebridean is excellent, and he's always improving the design. I'd email him and ask about your boat! I think there is a limit of a meter high transom.
Good point about the emergency rudder. I guess you could actually make the fitting stronger to accept a bigger rudder but that has to be hand-steered. The whole kit has to be oversized.

Tags
wind, windvane