Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 14:32   #61

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Cost of Standing Rigging Repalcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.
I would go elsewhere. The asking cost is at least twice any reasonable estimate. Beneteau has a very simple minimalist standing rigging and removing a deck stepped mast shouldn’t take more than an hour for pros with a crane.
Old 21-03-2020, 09:25   #62

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.
Do it yourself and don't un-step the mast. You can save at least 60%.

I re-rigged my 43' sloop in Tonga, at anchor (after a shroud failure on the passage from NZ). We had assessed the failure and decided that all the shrouds should be replaced (they were 17 years old). We decided to leave the headstay and back stay as is).

There being no marine services in Nukualofa I had no choice but to do the work myself with supplies I could import on short notice.

I talked on the phone to Southern Spars in Auckland and they agreed to make the shrouds and turnbuckles and ship them by air to me in Tonga.

I spent two days going up and down the rig measuring and photographing the ends (which required that I remove each shroud, one by one) and preparing a 5 page Word document with the specifications for the replacements. This I emailed to Southern Spars on Monday morning when the Telecoms Office opened, along with credit card information.

The replacement shrouds and turnbuckles arrived on Nukualofa the following Friday. The cost was under $3000 including shipping. This was for rod rigging!

I spent the next several days up the mast passing down old shrouds and installing new ones, one by one, with the mast standing. Some customization was required (with a grinder) and two shrouds had to be sent back for shortening (due to my measurement error), this took another two weeks for the round trip.

At one point I recall being at the mast head in the bosun's chair with a new cap shroud in my hand ready to be installed (after passing down the old one) and thinking, "What the hell am I doing? I know nothing about this."

But it worked, and we still have these shrouds 20 years later. We replaced the backstay and head stay in Australia a year after the Tonga refit.

On another occasion, in South Africa, I hired a crane, pulled out the mast, and disassembled it on the lawn of the Richard's Bay Yacht Club (on saw horses I made). We repainted the mast, boom and pole, and while at it, had all the rigging pieces inspected and dye tested for cracks, of which none were found. Then we re-assembled the rig and with another crane, re-stepped the mast. The crane costs were $146.

So, bottom line, with about week's work on your part you can save a huge amount on your re-rigging. You just have to take the responsibility and do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-04 12.56.52.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	210988  
Old 21-03-2020, 12:27   #63

Boat: 1973 Spencer 53

In our case, we have a 53’ ketch with 17x glassed-in chainplates all needing to be removed and likely remade. Received 3 quotes from around Seattle/Port Townsend, all about $30,000 or higher. Work time 3-4 weeks. Both masts (one keep-stepped, one deck) need to be removed, with new instruments, lighting, and steps installed while they’re out. Ditto for all halyards.

I plan to do ongoing maintenance in the future but want to do this right since it’s our first boat and learn as we go. It is what it is, I guess.
OkiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 19:19   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMike View Post
In our case, we have a 53’ ketch with 17x glassed-in chainplates all needing to be removed and likely remade. Received 3 quotes from around Seattle/Port Townsend, all about $30,000 or higher. Work time 3-4 weeks. Both masts (one keep-stepped, one deck) need to be removed, with new instruments, lighting, and steps installed while they’re out. Ditto for all halyards.

I plan to do ongoing maintenance in the future but want to do this right since it’s our first boat and learn as we go. It is what it is, I guess.
Are they glassed in on the flat to the hull, or on knees/bulkheads?
If flat to the hull, consider going external and using the existing interior part of the chainplates as backing plates bolting through from the outside.
A grinder is 50$ and a couple diamond cutting disks 60$. Unless you are earning over 50$/hr why not do what you can yourself?
Startracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging