Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 12:16   #1

Covering dyneema for back stay

Hello and happy holidays! I am replacing my back stay with dyneema. The upper part will be a heat set dyneema like Dynice dux. I will be using a Colligo fitting for the mast and a low friction ring for the lower part of this section of stay. I will have Amsteel blue for th lower portion of the back stay with a strip with low friction rings for tensioning the back stay. I want to cover the dyneema with a chafe guard, what splice do you guys recommend for the Colligo fitting since it will be at the top of the mast? I was going with a locking brummel splice but I am not sure how to cover this splice and can't find any information on this. Thank you for any information you guys might have.
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 19:55   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Covering dyneema for back stay

Look in my thread for some ideas:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-281958.html
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 03:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Slide some dyneema chafe sleeve over the rope, then do a covered eye splice as per the instructions on my website:
https://zartmancruising.com/zartman-...ed-eye-splice/

The method is the same regardless of cover--the dyneema cover is just a lot easier to splice than the polyester cover.
Old 16-12-2023, 06:51   #4

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmwalsh View Post
Hello and happy holidays! I am replacing my back stay with dyneema. The upper part will be a heat set dyneema like Dynice dux. I will be using a Colligo fitting for the mast and a low friction ring for the lower part of this section of stay. I will have Amsteel blue for th lower portion of the back stay with a strip with low friction rings for tensioning the back stay. I want to cover the dyneema with a chafe guard, what splice do you guys recommend for the Colligo fitting since it will be at the top of the mast? I was going with a locking brummel splice but I am not sure how to cover this splice and can't find any information on this. Thank you for any information you guys might have.
If you want a fitting that will completely protect the splice from UV, the Blue Wave line does that as part of the design.
So this way you can use a covered line, do a brummel splice (uncovered), and milk the cover up to the fitting and whip it.
See fitting options here.
https://theyachtrigger.com/wp-conten...log_lowres.pdf
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 09:15   #5

Thank you for all of your ideas! Can you do a brummel splice with the dyneema cover? I can't find that anywhere on any site? Thank you
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 12:42   #6

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for all of your ideas! Can you do a brummel splice with the dyneema cover? I can't find that anywhere on any site? Thank you
You can do it without the cover on the eye (uncovered eye, covered line)...

I've not tried to do it with a full double braid splice, so can't say whether or not it's possible. What I can say is that the brummel is not necessary... a well done splice with 60x line diameter bury won't slip.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 15:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
You can't do a brummel with a covered eye splice--it has to be a straight bury.
A brummel is not desirable for this application, since a properly done covered straight bury will be stronger and more elegant.

Tags
dyneema