Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 11:20   #1

create lazy jacks / sail cover to work as a sun cover as well?

Hello,
i wanted to build some lazy jacks for my boat and I wondered if someone already constructed some of these in a way, that they can also be used as a kind of sun-cover when unfolded?
Thanks!
SailorMcCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 14:34   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: create lazy jacks / sail cover to work as a sun cover as well?

I wouldn't do it, as in cross winds, all the forces would wind up on the zipper.

What I would do, though, is install bolt rope track along the boom, below the boom bag. Then make two 1/2 awnings, [Sunbrella, using PTFE thread] with a bolt rope on the boom side, and a slight hollow along the outboard side of the vessel. Install s/s grommets, as needed for bungee cords to the lifeline. Easy to lower when you want to go fwd to check the snubber.

Similarly, if it is really hot and sunny where you are, you might want to consider a triangle shaped one for the foredeck, also with hollow sides, also with bungee attachments, because when you want them down, it's usually in a hurry!

If you need the cover to be high enough to walk under, you could consider sewing attachment rings a way up the lazy jacks, and attach to that, but it will not stand as much breeze as the bolt rope kind of attachment.

Good luck with it, it should be a fun project.

Ann

On Edit: Do make sure that whether the boom bag is open or zipped, the teeth of the zipper is covered, because they UV degrade from sun exposure, but you can get years out of them, if they're covered. The reason to use the PTFE thread is that it will last the life of the sail cover, whereas the UV treated dacron is only good for 4 or 5 years.
Old 27-08-2019, 23:48   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Ann,

where does one buy PTFE thread in small spools for use in domestic machines?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 06:03   #4

Thanks a lot, Ann.
Gave me some good ideas.
SailorMcCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 07:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Ann,

You may not find it in the small spools, but you can use the cones with one of these or similar, only $11 at Sailrite.com

Link
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 09:25   #6

Boat: 1984 Mirage 27 (Perry)

If I remember right SailRite had a few plans or kits for a combo sail cover/boom tent you may want to check out their website. They also sell the different thread, materials, hardware, & tools you may need if doing your own.
Thuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:41   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

I've thought about this idea for a while. The only add I'd make to Ann's comment is to put ties and rings along the bolt rope track top and bottom so the awning can be rolled and stowed alongside the boom. I would also incorporate the ability to capture and drain rain water to the tanks if I could.
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 15:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Ann,

Hi, RaymondR,

I'm sure it would be available in Sydney. Talk to trimmers, they'll usually sell materials to you for their cost plus a little. I bet Contender (in Mona Vale) has it. Or, do a google search on "PTFE thread near me". I have never seen it in small spools like for home sewing, but then I have only bought small spools for sewing skirts, and patches for Jim's jeans! most of my sewing has been big stuff for the boat.

Queensland Sewing Machines carries Tenara (which is just one brand), but it is in large spools. What I do, is put the spool on the cabin sole, and lead the thread up to the machine, avoiding the motor and drive belt. I have one of those spool dealies, but it works just fine with the 3 ft. rise.

I have both white and black Tenara thread, and if i buy more, I plan to buy the clear. For me, it's an esthetic issue. AFAIK, there is no difference in durability.

Ann
Old 28-08-2019, 15:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSky46 View Post
I've thought about this idea for a while. The only add I'd make to Ann's comment is to put ties and rings along the bolt rope track top and bottom so the awning can be rolled and stowed alongside the boom. I would also incorporate the ability to capture and drain rain water to the tanks if I could.
It would be neat to figure out a way to also capture rain with it, the problem is that to stay up in the wind, the awning needs to be taut. And for catching rain, it needs to have a low point and a catchment mechanism.

One time, we wanted a raincatcher/cockpit awning, for our boat before this one. Jim figured out a way to make it happen, with a sort of trapezoid shape. It consisted of two side panels which were identical triangles, and a fore and aft triangle, sewn together. Then we made a hole in the middle of it, into which I sewed a cone, that we tied onto the hose when it was to be catching rain. It had an up haul strap also, sewn on, and we used the main halyard to raise it for use as an awning, just pushing the cloth cone back up towards the top. It was supported foreward by lines to the shroud, and aft by a crossbar attached to the back stay, but you could build it with an aft spreader fairly easily, thick walled 1/2" pvc pipe is pretty good for jobs like that., but you need a way to make it stay aft, maybe a bridle to the back stay, or bungees to a solar panel arch.

SailorMcCruise,

I apologize for the thread drift, and I thought i'd add that making the awning so it can attach to the boom in the way described in my first post has the advantage of being relatively easy to fold, like a bed sheet, for stowage when you don't need it.

It is an application that we have used medium grey WeatherMax for, and it will last a long time if it is not in constant use. You just have to wear the additional weight of Sunbrella or any other acrylic canvas, if it must endure almost continual exposure, and you care how long it lasts.

Cheers, all,

Ann
Old 28-08-2019, 16:09   #10

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Hi Ann,

Re rain water capture Ideas, going of the topic for a moment. makeup a boom long apron which hangs under the length of the boom about a meter or less wide open under the boom to catch the water attached with webbing and snap clips. The rainwater can be captured under sail as well as on the mooring. add outlets for hose attachments where required.

unclip when finished.

Keep up the good work

Kryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It would be neat to figure out a way to also capture rain with it, the problem is that to stay up in the wind, the awning needs to be taut. And for catching rain, it needs to have a low point and a catchment mechanism.

One time, we wanted a raincatcher/cockpit awning, for our boat before this one. Jim figured out a way to make it happen, with a sort of trapezoid shape. It consisted of two side panels which were identical triangles, and a fore and aft triangle, sewn together. Then we made a hole in the middle of it, into which I sewed a cone, that we tied onto the hose when it was to be catching rain. It had an up haul strap also, sewn on, and we used the main halyard to raise it for use as an awning, just pushing the cloth cone back up towards the top. It was supported foreward by lines to the shroud, and aft by a crossbar attached to the back stay, but you could build it with an aft spreader fairly easily, thick walled 1/2" pvc pipe is pretty good for jobs like that., but you need a way to make it stay aft, maybe a bridle to the back stay, or bungees to a solar panel arch.

SailorMcCruise,

I apologize for the thread drift, and I thought i'd add that making the awning so it can attach to the boom in the way described in my first post has the advantage of being relatively easy to fold, like a bed sheet, for stowage when you don't need it.

It is an application that we have used medium grey WeatherMax for, and it will last a long time if it is not in constant use. You just have to wear the additional weight of Sunbrella or any other acrylic canvas, if it must endure almost continual exposure, and you care how long it lasts.

Cheers, all,

Ann
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 20:41   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use shade cloth, it's nice and light and you don't get radiant heat from the underside. No good for catching rain though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover