Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you have, or are you planning on getting davits?
Yes. 81 88.04%
No. 11 11.96%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
About the only bad part is some marinas will charge by the foot to dock them but I've found it more rare than the case.
I seem to remember from another thread that you had a pair of removable davits on your last boat. Are the davits that came with your new boat not removable as well? And did you find that this problem was still an issue when you did have removable davits (ie did you remove them when pulling into a marina to reduce dockage fees?)
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I seem to remember from another thread that you had a pair of removable davits on your last boat. Are the davits that came with your new boat not removable as well?
Our last boat St Croix davits they fit in a shoe with a removable pin. They were nice and easy to remove. The Gozzard's have the davits engineered as part of the boat. They are far stronger but not at all removable.

I never removed them to save docking fees and the only area I was in where it would have mattered was a case where we were in the late fall and got in just before closing so the issue never came up about if our length included the davits or not. On deck it's 36 ft but you add davits and a 6 ft bow sprit and the number is a bit different. On a bulkhead there is a better reason to ask for the extra money since linear feet are still occupied. Ina slipit seems less appropriate but hten charging by the foot for a whole slip also seems odd too. It's the way the game works out.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:45   #48

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
In my option if you have a Dingy you need davits. Also a swim platform both Easy to make and install yourself.

I just watch a movie last night called Adrift2, after watching that movie anyone would have them installed. lol

John
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:20   #49

Boat: Durbeck 46 Nightwatch
I have heavy cast alluminum davits. They are attached to the boat with 2 3/4" bolts. They are fairly easy to remove. We were at a marina during hurricane Ivan and a Westsail 32 got wedged between one of the davits and the hull with its bowsprit. The bowsprit was pulled out of the Westsail like a bad tooth. The davits are strong enough for most anything. I still store the hard dingy on deck for any off shore passages.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits