Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 11:52   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Davits or an arch?

That's certainly not stronger than what I have in mind. Won't fit a lot of sailboats, either. That seems to need some kind of swim platform, down close to the water, which it promptly monopolizes.

Still, an interesting idea. I did go look at the site.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:58   #17

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
That's certainly not stronger than what I have in mind. Won't fit a lot of sailboats, either. That seems to need some kind of swim platform, down close to the water, which it promptly monopolizes.

Still, an interesting idea. I did go look at the site.
That particular product needs a swim platform.
You want to build some monster arch, and THAT fits? Build a monster swim platform instead..
Old 25-03-2014, 12:12   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

On my boat, we could do it. But our transom setup isn't that common.

It's not clear to me exactly what would pull the 300 lb dinghy and motor out of the water and up five feet sideways, though.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:14   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've had swim platforms on Sportfishermen and kept a jet ski on it, but My IP38 isn't a sportfisherman, so it's not getting a big ole swim platform.
Pretty much decided on an arch, only question is which arch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 12:47   #20

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

One thing to keep in mind when comparing Atlantic Towers vs. Custom is aluminum vs. steel. The aluminum towers require a bit more upkeep to prevent rust. Nothing against Atlantic, but if planning on installing a rugged, integral part of the foundation such as an arch, I want it custom designed and fitted to my vessel, not an "out-of-the-box" product. Having said that, I've heard NOTHING but great reviews from Atlantic. It's all personal, and I plan on getting a custom welded steel arch. To me, it is worth the extra money.

Do you have any photos of your IP38, especially the cockpit area looking aft? I'd like to see how the stern rail looks.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 13:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
One thing to keep in mind when comparing Atlantic Towers vs. Custom is aluminum vs. steel. The aluminum towers require a bit more upkeep to prevent rust. Nothing against Atlantic, but if planning on installing a rugged, integral part of the foundation such as an arch, I want it custom designed and fitted to my vessel, not an "out-of-the-box" product. Having said that, I've heard NOTHING but great reviews from Atlantic. It's all personal, and I plan on getting a custom welded steel arch. To me, it is worth the extra money.

Do you have any photos of your IP38, especially the cockpit area looking aft? I'd like to see how the stern rail looks.

I close on it Mon. the 31st., so other than Yachtworld, no.

I know, or at least think I know the Kato SS arch would be better. Problem is it's over $8,000. Not sure it could be $6,000 better?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 13:37   #22

Boat: center console

Somewhere (maybe it was on Atlantic's website) there is a comparison of strength etc. between aluminum and stainless arches. You also have to compare the relative weights required to obtain the strength. There could easily be a hundred pounds difference, as far aft as possible. Many,many sportfishermen have gone to aluminum towers because of the weight v/s strength issue, and the A.T. can come powder coated if you choose.. I do hope ddabs is thinking stainless, not carbon steel, but even ss is not without maintenance.
Cheers!
Larry
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 13:47   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
On my boat, we could do it. But our transom setup isn't that common.

It's not clear to me exactly what would pull the 300 lb dinghy and motor out of the water and up five feet sideways, though.

The one in the picture looks like a Hurley product, common in the powerboating world where swim platforms are equally common. Anyway, in some systems, the arms are hinged so they lower to assume the angle of a ramp... but actual "lift" is pretty much just horsing the load onto the davits.

Ours is slightly different. Uses the swim platform, but we load from the side, using a winch. Manual, in our case, but electric is an option.

In most cases, it depends on whether the swim platform will carry the dead weight all by itself... or whether it might need additional struts... or whether the davit system might also need some additional support to the transom. (Ours fell into the OK by itself category, but I also added additional loadbearing struts to beef up carrying capacity.)

Stern mounting like that comes with all sorts of issues: crossing stern lines, swim platform access and use, backwash when coming down off plane, slightly longer slips required, etc.

FWIW, Atlantic Towers has a very good reputation in our part of the world. I have no first-hand experience with them, though, and didn't look at the product being cited... so this is only an observation, not a recommendation.

-Chris
Old 25-03-2014, 14:03   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

There were davits on our IP40 when we bought it (Kato) and they are very well built. If you consider a Kato arch, it is probably going to cost you closer to 12k for an IP. We got some quotes when considering the addition of solar and engine lift.

I second that the radar will affect your solar array, and if you will be cruising in the tropics, if you don't mount it on the mast put it on the port side of the boat (prevailing winds will minimize the shade affect.

An option to the arch.....consider Solbian flex panels and zip or velcro them into the bimini. Get the davits and put a big Kyocera panel across them. Plenty of power.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 17:29   #25

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

This is what I mean by a dinghy ramp. A little hard to retro-fit I suppose.
The best thing, is no more butt ugly boat on the back of your beautiful one.

To answer the actual question, I don't know the boat, but an arch looks less 'work boat' than davits, and easier to put other stuff up there, like solar panels,
and I'd think fiberglass is the material that is lightest and strongest,
but metal tends to fail more gracefully by bending than breaking off.

Tags
arc, davits