Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 00:25   #16

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Deck lighting options

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Matt,

I did exactly what you are describing. I have one switch for spreader lights and it turns on the LED spreader lights as well as the foredeck light. I could think of no reason to switch them separately.

Steve
We actually DID wire them with two switches. Not much extra trouble, but we rarely use both at once. Spreader down lights for med mooring or party, front spotlight for work and to light up the boat at night using minimal juice....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 00:29   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I seem to forget I not as good as I once thought I was
As for me, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was... I think!

Jim
Old 21-07-2019, 01:58   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

On our new boat we have spreader lights, a deck light and lights under the solar arch at the stern.

The lights are great, but I think in retrospect this was a little overkill. The deck light is slightly better than the other options for illuminating the foredeck (checking the snubber, windlass etc). The spreader lights provide the best visibility at anchor (we obviously only use these in addition to approved anchor light at the top of the mast) and the lights under the solar arch provide a similar advantage to spreader lights, but allow a forward look out without destroying night vision (to keep an eye on anchored boats ahead). They are also ideally placed to help boarding from the dingy at night.

All the lights are LED and the power draw for each of the options is similar in our case.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 02:28   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Remember cruising is more enjoyable when KISS is the guiding principle - I know you know this
Ummm.... so a front loading washing machine and diesel powered hot water/hydronic heating combo... do they fall under the KISS principal?

Asking for a friend.
Old 21-07-2019, 02:30   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As for me, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was... I think!

Jim

And I suppose it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 02:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Methinks you will be best served by a pair of Davis lights... bet your anchor light is at the top of the mast.........
a) Agreed.
b) Yes.

Actually, I have a few options for being at anchor and being seen. I tend to turn the anchor light at the masthead on, because that ticks the whole "meets regulations" box, but then I turn on the deckhouse lighting because that is right at eyeball height for just about any sub-100 foot boat. And the deckhouse lighting is very bright. I've gone off in the dink at night with the boat between me and a very well lit foreshore and been very happy with how visible it makes the boat.
Old 21-07-2019, 02:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
You can angle spreader lights one slightly forward and one slightly aft, covering the whole deck.
Nice one!

And the lights you linked looked nice, but I'm trying like heck to stay with LED if I can. Each of those lights were more than the current total combined wattage of ALL of my interior lighting.
Old 21-07-2019, 02:44   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ummm.... so a front loading washing machine and diesel powered hot water/hydronic heating combo... do they fall under the KISS principal?

Asking for a friend.
Front loader fails the KISS test.... real sailors have top loaders.... they work on either tack......
Old 21-07-2019, 02:45   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Asking for a friend.
Tell your friend "possibly not but I dunno. Maybe the washing machine is needed to keep his manket clean; if so, no need for the other heating gizmos."
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 02:49   #25

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Tell your friend "possibly not but I dunno. Maybe the washing machine is needed to keep his manket clean; if so, no need for the other heating gizmos."
Now I really am confused.... https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=manket
Old 21-07-2019, 02:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Here you go https://www.aransweatermarket.com/manket
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-07-2019, 04:56   #27

I’m really starting to worry about you and your mankets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	196327
Old 21-07-2019, 05:00   #28

Anyway... the heating system just suffered a serious blow.

I left my electronics box in Melbourne on my visit a few weeks back. It had all the circuitry I’d built for the system. Asked a family member to post it all over to me, which they did.

Auspost lost it. Tracking ID shows it being received at the post office then it is never seen again.

$50 maximum compensation for nearly $1k of contents.

Let this be a lesson to us all, of you are going to post something a bit valuable either use a courier or pay their outrageous insurance.
Old 21-07-2019, 05:04   #29

Practical, functional, eco friendly and fashionable Laddie.

You may well be right to be worried about me but not the market, really it is OK. I bet they will be all the rage in Patagonia before we know it now that El P is up to speed.
Old 21-07-2019, 05:10   #30

Quote:
Anyway... the heating system just suffered a serious blow.

I left my electronics box in Melbourne on my visit a few weeks back. It had all the circuitry I’d built for the system. Asked a family member to post it all over to me, which they did.

Auspost lost it. Tracking ID shows it being received at the post office then it is never seen again.

$50 maximum compensation for nearly $1k of contents.

Let this be a lesson to us all, of you are going to post something a bit valuable either use a courier or pay their outrageous insurance.
Bugger, that's a setback! I guess there is no expectation to see it again by now.

I recently sent a parcel to Darwin, tracking showed it took three days from southern Tassie to Darwin where it sat for 3 weeks before being delivered. I reckon they only went looking for it after I raised a lost article investigation with them.

Tags
deck, lighting