Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 23:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Decoring furling line?

I am going to replace my furling line first third about 25 feet my furler manual says to decore what is the right way to go about doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jking0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 13:35   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Decoring furling line?

Easy. Determine what length core you wish to remove. Go through the outer cover at that point with a fid, taking care to go between threads so as to disrupt them as little as possible, and pull a little loop of the the inner core out of the cover. Cut the inner core at the loop. Pull the part to be discarded out. The little bit of the core still protruding can be snaked back into the cover by "milking" the cover. Put several stitches through the cover and core at this point so the core won't move within the cover. At the end of the cover just heat seal it, dip it, or whip it so it won't unlay and you're in business. Takes longer to type and read than it does to perform. Works great. I've don't it for many years.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:44   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I've done the same thing. Takes up less space on the drum and rolls flat to help prevent overrides.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 15:54   #4

Boat: H36

Alternative is to spray line with McLube. Makes a unbelievable difference to furling.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 16:43   #5
Eternal Member

Be careful about taking this approach, depending on what sort of line you decide to use... On many common double braids, the cover is far weaker than the core, and since a furling line can see considerable loads, I'd be very wary of trusting the strength of most cover materials...

I'd suggest going with a higher-tech rope, and stripping the cover, instead... I use Samson MLX, a rope with a very nice hand to start with, a big consideration for a furling line... With a dyneema blend core, there is no loss of strength or possibility of increased stretch, and retains excellent UV protection... And as Dyneema is a very 'slippery' material, it lays beautifully on the drum, and you'd really have to do something extraordinary to ever have it snag, or develop an override. It's money very well spent, IMHO...

Samson has instructions on their site re how to taper, bury, and lockstitch the cover, it's a pretty simple process...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling