Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 03:51   #16

Boat: Outremer 51
Re: DENT IN SIDE OF MAST

You might want to check with the mast manufacturer. I had similar issue and even though the damage to the mast was quite shallow they said it could weaken the mast and recommended plates which they could manufacture to maintain the integrity of the mast. Not very expensive but could save you a major problem later on.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
You might want to check with the mast manufacturer. I had similar issue and even though the damage to the mast was quite shallow they said it could weaken the mast and recommended plates which they could manufacture to maintain the integrity of the mast. Not very expensive but could save you a major problem later on.
Called a scab patch if it was an airplane, and how I would go about fixing it, if I thought it needed fixing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07   #18

Thanks for all the advice folks. I had a family issue to attend to right after I made this post, so I apologize for my tardy response to your answers.

The spot is located down towards the mast gate area, lower 1/3rd of the mast.

Lots of interesting 'fixes' mentioned. I had thought of using a wooden wedge and hair dryer on high in combo to see if that would do the trick.

Soap as a heat detector sounds interesting, as well as the heat shrinking method of heat and cold.

Large suction cup thing might work, and I'm going to work from there up to more 'aggressive methods' mentioned.

I'm not concerned about appearances after I pop it out, this is an 25 yr old mast with wear, that I'm considering replacing a wooden mast on a 19 footer with, so no worries about the cosmetics.

I took a bunch of photos before it recently snowed here in Tax Jersey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3963.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	139327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3964.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	139328  

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	139329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3967.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	139330  

Name:	IMG_3968.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	139331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3969.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	139332  

Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19   #19

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Now, first, I am NOT qualified to advise you on this in terms of how it will affect the sail track. I am also NOT qualified to advise in terms of what will happen to aluminum when you try to bend it. That said, I will offer a thought, take it or not, because it is worth probably less than the time it takes for you to read the disclaimer I just typed.

From the photos this is an excessively minor dent, and if it even affected anything, I would think it could be driven open with a hardwood wedge pretty easily. I would limit the thickness of the wedge to BARELY over that of the track, cut on a taper of course. Then just drive it up the mast until clear of the dent. Drive it back down again, and wax the track (or use your favorite track lubricant, as you see fit).

The mast itself does not have a dent in the side like I imagined from your initial post (hence the need for pics when we post these things), and I would be amazed if the wedge did not work sufficiently to clear the track. I would also test fit the sail as well, PRIOR to fighting with this. If the sail does not bind, then leave it alone and run with it...

But that is only my unqualified opinion. Worth precisely N A D A...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd likely just stick a screwdriver in it and pry it open, if the sail catches
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:10   #21

Thanks guys. I just did not want to mar the sail track, nor damage the mast in 'repairing it'. I thought of using a wood wedge before I posted this. I stopped to ask because a wood 'wedge' will increase in thickness from the tapered end to the thicker end. If it 'binded' in the sail track I'd be SOL
I went into the shop on the farm and found a piece of scrap molding that I'll try and see if it works to open the 'dent'.

We all know what a PITA it is when the main sail binds in the track going up or down, and I wanted this to work smoothly from the get go.

Snow has mostly melted off the mast this morning so off I go to 'fix' it.

Had I had more time with my initial post I would have loaded the images, but when family calls I drop everything and ride.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd likely just stick a screwdriver in it and pry it open, if the sail catches
Yeah, find out if that very minimal dent even causes a problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast