Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2022, 07:41   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: dewalt alternative to milwaukee right angle drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I'd want to be sure that the drill handle orientation does not require you to hold it in a way that could injure your wrist if it suddenly pulls hard.

Good point. I've gotten my wrist "twinged" from even the small 12 volt drills, when using in awkward positions. These larger tools are powerful, use care when operating.

I have a large Bosch corded hammer drill that I use for mixing mortar and concrete drilling, it will lift you off the ground if the bit stops. Use with caution.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:18   #17

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have that biggest DeWalt drill, it’s a 2 handed drill when she is under load. I have been using tools my whole life but yes you can hurt yourself if you do not respect the power.
Most drill options have a clutch that can be set of various tolerances, meaning you can set the drill to stop when it has reached a certain level of load, it’s like it shorts out, like you tripped a breaker.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:12   #18

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Both the Dewalt DC460B and the DC470B have what dewalt calls an e-clutch, which is supposed to detect a bind up and reduce the speed to a manageable level until the resistance is reduced. If this works, I imagine it will help protect the user's wrist.

Amazon's numbers on the dimensions and weights for the 460 and 470 may be wrong, so it's possible the 470 is pretty much the same weight.

I'm wondering if these might be used to power an anchor windlass's manual backup. Lewmar and Muir vertical winches have manual backups that use a sheet winch, but there is no mechanical advantage. One rotation of the winch handle is one rotation of the gypsy, so I'm guessing that 300rpm from the DC460B would be a bit hard to handle. But maybe with a windlass like the Lighthouse horizontal windlass, which has a geared down winch handle socket at the top, one of these drills might be a usable backup in case your windlass motor is inoperable.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:08   #19

Talking Re: dewalt alternative to milwaukee right angle drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Both the Dewalt DC460B and the DC470B have what dewalt calls an e-clutch, which is supposed to detect a bind up and reduce the speed to a manageable level until the resistance is reduced. If this works, I imagine it will help protect the user's wrist.

Amazon's numbers on the dimensions and weights for the 460 and 470 may be wrong, so it's possible the 470 is pretty much the same weight.

I'm wondering if these might be used to power an anchor windlass's manual backup. Lewmar and Muir vertical winches have manual backups that use a sheet winch, but there is no mechanical advantage. One rotation of the winch handle is one rotation of the gypsy, so I'm guessing that 300rpm from the DC460B would be a bit hard to handle. But maybe with a windlass like the Lighthouse horizontal windlass, which has a geared down winch handle socket at the top, one of these drills might be a usable backup in case your windlass motor is inoperable.

100% I forgot about the windless’s manual option. My Lewmar manual option is geared. So yes you can use it in that application as well.

I am thinking of finding a small shaft and prop and welding the two and seeing if the drill will push my Rib
Old 09-03-2022, 12:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
100% I forgot about the windless’s manual option. My Lewmar manual option is geared. So yes you can use it in that application as well.
Interesting, what windlass do you have?
Old 09-03-2022, 12:18   #21

*****!! I knew that was coming next, I am remiss to say I do not know. It’s 12 years old.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:21   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41

An electric drill will not be useable with the manual option with Lewmar V1-V3 windlasses.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 14:59   #23

Boat: Cascade 42

DCD470 or DCD460 60V system. Batteries will work with all your 20V tools.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33   #24

Boat: Trimarans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
the oft touted milwaukee right angle drill

What is that most popular model please?

Are there any 12v drills that are up to the task, so that they can be recharged offshore without an inverter? If not, how do you charge 20v or higher batteries?

This article says you need 100nm of torque (884 in lbs, 74 ft lbs), and shows a hitachi drill in the photo. Does anyone know which one it is? https://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts...-option-136324

Which attachments are you using?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 06:46   #25

There is a very informative YouTube channel called Project Farm. They provide clever head-to-head performance tests of different tools. Destructive tests are a specialty. Hand tools, power tools, blades and bits. The library is extensive. The productions are rigorous, creative and data driven. No sponsored equipment just honest evaluations. Short and to the point.
Laxlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 07:04   #26

Yeah, that's a great channel. I don't think he's done an episode about right angle drills though.
Old 14-03-2022, 07:38   #27

Having been a certified DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Metabo hitachi repair tech. I would stay away from dewalt 2 year warranty Almost all of these power tools are made in Shanghai China that I am aware of. Metabo has another factory in Germany. The ryobi and new porta cable were made for homeowners not for industry.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:11   #28

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Any harm using a sub compact impact driver? They have a lot of torque. Torque spec is over 200 N-M. We personally use Ridgid brand (Home Depot) mainly because they are close in quality to DeWalt but less expensive and incredibly generous warranty. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...207B/312620593
Low speed is still 850 rpm.

More concerned about the 'impact' nature and winch damage.

Thoughts?
Old 14-03-2022, 09:34   #29

I think the impact might not be good. I also am not sure that impact drivers really work with constant resistance.
Old 15-03-2022, 07:01   #30

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

I have the dual voltage one. It works great. I got it when I spoke with some riggers who used theirs all day. They loved theirs.
As for control, the big one has a big handle that screws into the side give you a lot better leverage and operate it safely when there is a lot of load.
Harken (and others) sell bits to fit winches.
The smaller ones will work in many cases, assuming the chuck is in really good shape. As the chucks wear down, the risk of slippage goes up, especially under larger loads.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote