Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 16:23   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
dewalt alternative to milwaukee right angle drill

I'm somewhat interested in getting a right angle drill to run some winches, but I'm wondering if there's a dewalt alternative to the oft touted milwaukee right angle drill, since I already have a number of dewalt tools and batteries.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcd44...nly?tid=579171

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcd44...nly?tid=579171

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcd46...nly?tid=576981

I'm curious if any of these will match it.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 17:30   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: dewalt alternative to milwaukee right angle drill

I'm a milwaukee guy use 12 volt at home and on the boat. Use the 18 volt at work, the fuel tools with 8 or 12 amp batteries pack a wallop.

That said I not sure there is a great deal of difference between the two brands.

I believe most folks using the Milwaukee for winches are using the 28 volt model, pretty strong.

The first one you listed may work, the last one although probably more powerful may not fit over at winch.

Also most use a dedicated winch driver that is installed in place of the chuck.

Not sure if it will fit on the dewalt.
Old 07-03-2022, 17:36   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

A winch bit adapter may be used…… https://www.thecranker.com/
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 18:42   #4

They probably have plenty of torque for the job. However the issue I see is that while they are variable speed… the top end is fairly high (1250 rpm) for winch use. Which means having to be super careful and barely squeezing the trigger - which will be difficult. The big Milwaukee and the newer Milwaukee Fuel version has a 2-speed model wherein the top speed is a variable 500 rpm. This makes it much easier for our use. I would look for a right angle drill like these with a low top speed… whether single or two speed… it needs slow and torque… not high speed.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 18:47   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

The first two have a speed of 1250 rpm, the last one is dual speed, 300 and 1250. The milwaukee right angle speed is somewhere around 300 or 350, depending on the specific model. To crank a winch you need high torque and low speed. 1250 rpm is too high with not enough torque. So, to match the Milwaukee you need the dual speed model. With a winch bit attached, it looks like it would clear a winch. It does look very heavy.

I have the Milwaukee 18v fuel, dual speed, with a 350 rpm low speed. Its a beast at 12 pounds but can winch almost anything.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 18:55   #6

The big dewalt with the two speeds is supposed to be about 15lbs. It's also cheaper than the other version on Amazon for some reason, so it has that going for it. I'll sit on the idea a little longer before I commit to it. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2022, 23:25   #7

Boat: Norseman 447

https://www.dewalt.com.au/products/d...rill-bare-unit
More torque than Milwaukee, takes my 125kg up the mast effortlessly
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:11   #8

Interesting. That model is more expensive on Amazon, and it also appears to be heavier. even though it's smaller. Amazon has it at 17.6 lbs. It's geared a little higher than the other one, with 400rpm low gear vs 300rpm.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:17   #9

Ok, so the internet is saying that the model linked by Nuticatarcher is the newer version, which is slimmer, to fit better between joists. Since I would be using it atop winches, that size dimension isn't so important. The older (bulkier) version is cheaper and seems to be geared lower, so maybe that makes more sense.
Old 08-03-2022, 14:50   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

We have one for sale on Craigslist but we’re considering hanging on to it for the next boar which will be smaller and probably not have all electric winches. I found it to be heavy (I’m 68) but it sure made hoisting the main easy on our 36’ trimaran! I think it kept me sailing.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:40   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Ok, so the internet is saying that the model linked by Nuticatarcher is the newer version, which is slimmer, to fit better between joists. Since I would be using it atop winches, that size dimension isn't so important. The older (bulkier) version is cheaper and seems to be geared lower, so maybe that makes more sense.
The slower 300 rpm model does make more sense. It will provide 25% more torque, is less expensive, and is lighter.

If I could find a 200 rpm model, I would buy it.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:55   #12

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have and use the dewalt DCD460 Drill, I use it primarily for raising the main. I have a 44 ft Jeanneau with Dacron cruising sails the main is about 100 ponds. The drill gets it up in about 30 seconds, I could get it up faster but I do not want to over heat the wench.
I use it to hoist or be hoisted up the mast as well, on a charged Battery it is good for at least 4 lifts of 220 pounds up 50 feet. I do not use the drill to tac, but I have used the drill to strike the 140% Genoa in a emergency situation and it took about 20 seconds. I have a hole line of Dewalt tools that work off the same system.
I went with DeWalt about 10 years ago, after we (the FDNY R&D unit) did extensive testing on DeWalt, Milwaukee and Mikita, we put each makers line on our field units 10 full sets per brand, in service for 1 year. DeWalt came back with the highest performance and longevity rating across all the tools.
The greatest value is that it affords me the ability to raise the main in a short period of time in wind that would flog the life out of a sail,……when single handing small craft advisory conditions. Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:58   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I have used small drills but my size vessel burns though the smaller drills, again I do not use to tac it is just used for raising “things.”
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:05   #14

Boat: 32 Rival

I don't have trouble with my sheet winches, but raising the main has become rather difficult for me as I get older. I've looked at the electric alternatives and was never really impressed. In a moment of clarity the word “leverage” came to mind. I took one of my 10 inch winch handles and increased the length another 8 inches. I now have an 18 inch winch handle hanging on my mast winch, problem solved.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:35   #15

I have no experience with any of these drills. But I noticed that different drills have different handle orientations. My wife uses a WinchRite if she is raising the main and if something jams or she misjudges when the halyard will get tight, it pulls easily out of her hand with no injury. I'd want to be sure that the drill handle orientation does not require you to hold it in a way that could injure your wrist if it suddenly pulls hard.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote