Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 12:52   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Did I order the wrong size winches?

for most winches sold today, the "size" is simply the mechanical advantage that the winch offers in its lowest gear. Old Barients (and I thinkk Barow) winches claimed that the "size" was the actual measured line tension. in units of 100lbs, in low gear with 100 lbs force applied to a ten inch handle. Supposedly took into account frictional losses, et. IE, with 100 lbs on the handle, our Barient 32s supposedly would have 3200 lbs tension on the sheet.

This explains the differences expressed above.

Jim
Old 31-03-2017, 13:47   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Jim,
You are correct, the term that Barient used was the "Power Advantage Rating" the true output of the winch.

Once you go through the power ratio calculations with the 10" handle, insert a 12 inch into the calculation and see how much more advantage one gets w/a 12" handle. (Power ratio= ((2 x length of handle)/drum dia.) x gear ratio)

Probably too much math here, but something realistic is the amount of force needed to turn the winch with a specific load on it (can you really winch in your head sail well in 25 kts?). On average, most people can do approx. 35 lbs. of force. The simple calculation for load is the wind speed (cubed) x sail area (let's leave out the multipliers for friction from your sheet/car location). Then divide the load by the power ratio (usually only need 2nd gear). See what you get with your full genoa at 20 kts. Then reduce the sail area and increase wind speed (25-30 kts) to see if you'd be able to winch it in when needed.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 14:39   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The bigger the wench the better. You can ask my bbf. She can crank in the sheets a lot faster now. And when it's time to let off, it goes real smooth w/o even hurting her hands.
Old 31-03-2017, 15:27   #19

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Jim,

The simple calculation for load is the wind speed (cubed) x sail area (let's leave out the multipliers for friction from your sheet/car location). Then divide the load by the power ratio (usually only need 2nd gear). See what you get with your full genoa at 20 kts. Then reduce the sail area and increase wind speed (25-30 kts) to see if you'd be able to winch it in when needed.

Bill O.
Just noticed a mistake in my post; load = wind speed (squared) x sail area
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 20:45   #20

Boat: Casacde 36

are they chrome/bronze and do you want to get out from under this mess? If so, what will you need $$?
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 21:17   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As others have said, for a 135% genoa those winches are too small. Probably still tiny if you only sail the boat as a double headsail with a large Yankee on the headstay. They'll take a strong person to grind even a small headsail in. Most boats in your size range would have at least 30's as the genoa winch and even a 40 if you want low effort grinding for an old fart like me or a women as the grinder.

See if you can swap them out for a 30 or 40 size winch. If you can't take them back, might take them off your hands for halyard winches on my Sabre 28.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size, winch