Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 08:34   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Dirt House Stainless Hardware on Deck?

I have priced marine stainless and I have priced stainless handicap bathroom grab rails. I am wondering how the Lowes bathroom hardware is likely to hold up in a salt marine enviorment. Any thoughts??
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
yes I do have a thought on those very items. They aren't made from 316 stainless and therefor unless you maintain them religiously they will exhibit a rusty surface after a very short time. Even 304 is prone to rust, unless it says 316, you will need to watch them closely depending on the amount of salt contact.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46   #3

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Seems so

I have been told personally by others who have used stainless handicapped railings, etc., on their boats that they not only work fine, but obviously saved a lot of money. These aren't people I would consider unreliable.

As with many -- but not all marine solutions -- cheaper versions ARE available. My dad had an outboard made by Sears (gamefisher). Needed a small part for it, price was a very high $189.00. Noticed that the engine was identical to one in a Sears lawn mower. Checked the parts manual for the mower and, you guessed it, SAME PART, price was $27. This was just a couple of years ago.

I, too, have found many very suitable parts at Home Depot and Lowes.

I've also found some very bad substitutions. Keep your eyes open.
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59   #4

before 316 became trendy, 304 was used extensively on boats. 316 is definitely better, but what is even more important is the finish on the metal. A passivated, smooth, mirror like finish in either metal will last very well. a sanded or ground finish like you see on a lot of household sinks and (i think) on the Lowes handrails is perfect for starting crack crevice corrosion. Good marine railing is chemically passivated and or electropolished to protect the surface. I doubt if your Bimini tubing is 316 (I could be wrong) but it is very smooth and shiny! If the Lowes rails are going inside they would be fine. If outside in a couple of places you can replace easy, maybe fine also. but I wouldnt use it extensively.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:02   #5

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
I've got a couple of the handicapped rails on pilings at my slip. No sign of corrosion so far.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware