Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2022, 14:20   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

@ SV Lusca,

Sorry for both your losses. If I were you, I would try the salvage yards in the islands. In our experience it is riggers who have broken mast bits around, and booms, so that someone like that is going to be more likely to have stock that you will be able to use. Motoring at sea, without the mast, for 500 n. mi. is going to be utterly exhausting, due to the boat motion.

We were dismasted, only about 75 miles from a safe harbor, but although we started motoring around 10:00 pm, we did not get in till well after sunset. Unfavorable currents didn't help. Your 500 n. mi. slog, without the mast, the motion is very unpleasant, rapid, cooking is hard, even staying on the toilet was difficult.

I don't know your financial situation, so what I will say about continuing the dream is that you and your good lady can heal from the trauma of this incident. For me, I required counseling, and Reiki healing, which worked together very well; and Jim accomplished his by doing all the work relating to getting the boat re-masted. We had no insurance to help with the expenses. And we went on to sail, that boat, for 7 years, for a total of 18; and this one for 19. So, it can be done. Using a second hand spar will cut down the costs quite a bit. Sistering two together will work just fine. With luck they will let you and your good lady help with some of the work. Our boom, sistered, is way stronger than it was before we broke it.

Good luck with it, guys. Being dismasted can be moderately devastating, AND you'll get over it. You might even dine out on the story.

Ann
Old 22-03-2022, 16:24   #32

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Stop at marina and enjoy the Islands and work a plan,,,,,,then contact some of the yards in USVI and BVI. There were many sailboats with damaged hulls from the hurricane but still had decent masts. Their masts and rigging might still lying around waiting for a buyer.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 16:34   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The 500 n.mile does not have to be done in one go. In the B'mas you can hop from the one island to the next in relatively short time as they are all quite close to each other.

The Exuma's, Eleuthera and Abaco's will have you travelling in very protected water, it will be a smooth ride. You can island hop and have some fun while you are doing it.

Going west, means you will also have the wind and waves behind you.

I forgot to add "Green Turtle Cay" as a possible source. They have a yard there with a travel lift. Green Turtle is only a few miles west from Marsh Harbor. They had a lot of boats in their yard which were damaged in Dorian, might find something there.

Once you hit the Abaco's, your final crossing will be about 50 miles to Florida. You will have to contend with the Gulf Stream here, but unless there is a norther blowing, it should be fine.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 16:40   #34

Boat: Pearson

I would go to fl. The other option could be fruitless. Fl. You have materials ,people and equipement to pull off repairs, good luck
Old 22-03-2022, 16:58   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

If you havn't done this part of the trip yet. Getting from your location to DR or PR or even T&C, will have you pounding into a 20-25 knot wind, usually straight out of the east, with seas to match.
You would really have to pick your weather window here.

The fuel in your tank is going to really slosh around, without a mast to steady you and if you loose your engine for any reason you are going to be in a pickle.

The B'mas generally have quite a large crowd of visiting yachts there. It wouldn't take much to buddy up with another boat for added security.

Once in the Abaco's, it may even be possible to have a mast shipped to you, as there are freighters that run between Florida and the Abaco's, but you will be relatively close to Florida, so might as well push on.

It's all your call, off course, just adding my 2c here.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 17:03   #36

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
I had a new forestay with harken furler installed in Oriental NC. At the same time I had the rigger adjust everything. I have the impression that something let go at the top. The mast was broken in half but no idea of it was caused by the impact with the water.
Sorry to hear of your difficulties very sorry to hear about your lost cat
May I ask who the rigger was in Oriental?
That is currently my home waters and it would be interesting to know.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 22-03-2022, 17:10   #37

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problems. I cannot offer any local info but if this happened only yesterday, I would suggest you try to chill out a bit where you are, relax & regain your equilibrium. Then it sounds like you have lots of options to consider. Maybe allow yourself some time to get over the shock, & make a few phone calls before jumping one way or the other. Best of luck to you.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 18:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

I'll join the others in recommending Florida, go with the flow, the winds and currents are in your favour more than trying to continue East.
See if you can rig a steadying sail on your mast remnant, as Ann says it's a rolling ride otherwise even in relatively smooth seas.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 18:36   #39

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

We are currently trying to make sense of all of this. Wife is anxious just thinking of leaving the anchorage. The boom came crashing down over her head only to be stopped by the dodger.

For now we are stocking up on fuel at 8$ a gallons.

The safest route for us would be to go back to FL since we already know the fuel stops in the Bahamas.

We just feel its a step backwards (read failure) to retrack our steps.

But going further South/East hoping to find use part seems uncertain. If we dont find anything, turning back will be an even greater issue.

Dave
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 18:55   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Sorry to read about your troubles. I hope you’ll be able to recover soon from this incident and continue your voyage. Don’t let this stop you!

It may be worth trying Marsh Harbour before heading W to FL. There are many charter companies, hopefully they could assist with some logistics for mast transportation etc. Just a thought; good luck with everything.
Old 22-03-2022, 19:05   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

Quote:
We are currently trying to make sense of all of this. Wife is anxious just thinking of leaving the anchorage. The boom came crashing down over her head only to be stopped by the dodger.

The safest route for us would be to go back to FL since we already know the fuel stops in the Bahamas.

But going further South/East hoping to find use part seems uncertain. If we dont find anything, turning back will be an even greater issue.

Dave
Its not a step backwards.. merely a sidestep for the moment.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 19:16   #42

Boat: C-26

Dave..Je suis triste d'apprendre vos problèmes avec le bateau et la perte de votre chat. Bonne chance avec votre voyage. Stan

(I'm sad to hear about your problems with the boat and the loss of your cat. Good luck with your voyage.)
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 19:47   #43

I am gobsmacked to hear that the mast was not covered by insurance simply because it was 20 years old. Do insurance companies expect boat owners to replace their masts at less than 20 year intervals? Please let us know which insurance company has such a policy, as they really need a quick kick up the a. . . .. Rig inspections seem reasonable, but mast replacement requirement is just nonsense. What's next? Hull replacement?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 20:09   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:

Dave
Yes, you are facing some daunting challenges.

As hard as it may be try to get some emotional distance.

I can end ip moving too fast because I need to “do something” because there is emotional relief in action.

But you are in a safe place, nothing now needs to happen instantly. Give yourself time to take a few deep breaths and make a calm, reasoned evaluation.

Take all the info you have, look at your financial and emotional resources.

Then develop a plan that work for you and yours.

You are safe, the worst is behind. Now you are in recovery. Know it will take time. It will be successful. Measured steps.

Good luck with what ever you decide. It will be the right decision for you as a couple.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 20:26   #45

Boat: Grampian 30

Dave,

what an adventure! Sounds like you and your wife are handling this with grace and patience. I tip my hat to you.

Having done the trip from FL to USVI in early spring I agree with many of the comments here that you may find an offshore passage further south trying without a mast and sails, and if you have engine trouble things will be much more difficult.

From Abraham's Bay, it is a relatively short and safe crossing to Turks and Caicos. If you are determined not to backtrack then I think this would be your best option for a place to regroup. On the SW of Providenciales Island is Caicos Marina and Shipyard, which has a travel lift, and nearby is Caribbean Marine and Diesel who can likely assist with your repair needs. Charted minimum depth is 6'6" so you should be able to make it in there. I don't know if time or money is a factor, but if you have both to spare then you may be able to accomplish a refit there, and not a bad place to spend some time. At the very least, it's somewhere you could provision for a longer trip and ensure your motor is up to the task.

Regarding taking a step back and heading to Florida for repairs, I wouldn't look at it that way. Only you can be your own judge, but if I were at a dock in Florida listening to you tell me that you had made your way back from a remote island in the Bahamas after a dismasting, and were just in town as long as it would take to make repairs before heading out into the blue again, I would commend your tenacity, pour you a rum and coke, and ask if there was anything I could do to help.

Good luck, whatever your decision.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mast