Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2022, 21:41   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Dismasted at sea in the Bahamas, now what

^^^^^ hpeer

The above is all good advice, and I would like to add that Dave and his good lady wife will do themselves a world of good by making their plan together, so they can both get behind it 100%. Oddly, it should include going for a walk together each day, to keep up their physical condition, and it may raise their spirits.

I think the plan involves further investigation of their insurance situation, possibly even to the extent of recommendations for solving the problem.

It also would involve seeing what the closer-to-them options are before committing to the trip back to FL. From when we decided on the rigger to hire (we interviewed three, and chose the one who didn't try to blow smoke at us, and freely admitted what he needed to consult the engineer about), it was almost two months before the new rig was in. I'm afraid that practically, this means the Caribbean is pretty well finished for Lusca for this season. There may or may not be additional damage that may need repair. Their plan may also involve thinking about how you interview riggers to find out about them. Planning out who asks the questions you already know the answers to, and who asks the others.

They may be able to find a suitable mast and furler and only have the standing and running rigging shipped in, and some places will let you work on parts of it (the riggers have other work going on), but they have to find out who it is and where it is. They may need to source second hand sails. They may need a local library card for the library for an internet connection. Compared to FL, they are in the woop-woop as they say here, or "in the tules" or "boondocks", as said in Calif. Many of the choices depend on their financial resources. This is an opportunity to learn to rig your own boat. Learn about mechanical swages like Sta-Lok or SeaRig. Crisis times are full of learning and coping that stands one in good stead as life rolls on.

I hope they keep on writing in here, and I'm looking forward to being introduced to Dave's wife, too.

Ann
Old 22-03-2022, 22:41   #47

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

We broke down in the Bahamas; another time, I would ROW if necessary to get anywhere else.
It will be quicker, cheaper, and less hair-tearing to not try and fix it in the Bahamas.
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 23:34   #48

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I would at first get the mast onboard. It is not impossible with tackles, winches and a few beers.

If you are lucky, you might be able to sleeve the old mast instead of buying a new/used one.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 23:53   #49

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The photo suggests the failure involved the port lower, either at the spreader or at the chain plate/turnbuckle. A cursory inspection by the rigger would most likely not have picked it up.
Re the '20 year old mast'. That is a new one on me, I suspect it is 20 year old standing rigging that they don't cover.
Old 23-03-2022, 06:26   #50

Boat: Beneteau 36cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
I am gobsmacked to hear that the mast was not covered by insurance simply because it was 20 years old. Do insurance companies expect boat owners to replace their masts at less than 20 year intervals? Please let us know which insurance company has such a policy, as they really need a quick kick up the a. . . .. Rig inspections seem reasonable, but mast replacement requirement is just nonsense. What's next? Hull replacement?
Edwards William

Here is a quote from their email:

“ Also, masts are written off over twenty years so if the mast is original (1997) then it would have a value of nil."

They are not all closed to help us, its still to soon in the process. I don’t want to blame no one being rigger or other for what has happened.

The mast was taken down and put back up to navigate the ICW, At that time I had noticed my forestay needing replacement due to the halyard wrap.

I had great service in Oriental where they replaced my forestay and furler. At the same time I had the rigger adjust all the rigging and asked him to keep an eye out for any issues. Only other work done was the replacement of a pulley to stop the chaffing of my boom topping lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E757F7DD-85B1-43A6-9941-C05B66786975.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	254799   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F2701C0-172F-489E-BB5B-2B65227D75D7.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	254800  

Name:	024E8E1E-E589-40D2-8849-897961BC3963.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	254801   Click image for larger version

Name:	925EEB82-65DF-4CCA-B6B6-8492E17B224F.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	254802  

Name:	178B5F92-826C-4B0F-9836-AE27830325DD.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	254803  
SV_Lusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 06:33   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Lusca View Post
Edwards William

Here is a quote from their email:

“ Also, masts are written off over twenty years so if the mast is original (1997) then it would have a value of nil."

They are not all closed to help us, its still to soon in the process. I don’t want to blame no one being rigger or other for what has happened.

The mast was taken down and put back up to navigate the ICW, At that time I had noticed my forestay needing replacement due to the halyard wrap.

I had great service in Oriental where they replaced my forestay and furler. At the same time I had the rigger adjust all the rigging and asked him to keep an eye out for any issues. Only other work done was the replacement of a pulley to stop the chaffing of my boom topping lift.

Just because they emailed you and told you your mast was a write of after 20 years doesn’t mean it is consistent with your policy. I would ask them to show you the clause in your policy that states this. I’m not saying they are wrong but it’s the insurance company’s business to make money and the usual first step during a claim is to refuse it for some reason.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:30   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have a 16,000 pound 33’ boat with a bow sprit and deck stepped mast. Od similar size to yours.

Transiting the Erie canal my Wife and I destepped the mast and stored it on deck for the transit. We did this with a jib boom crane at a small marina. NO ONE helped us. We were in our lated 60’s.

At a different time I replaced all the standing rigging myself using StayLoc fittings. Not terribly difficult.

Keep the above in mind.

T&C is one long day passage from Abraham Bay. One safe harbor to another.

In T&C you can live aboard cheaply while you await a new mast. That will take time to be delivered. You can use that time to argue with the insurance company. And you can also enjoy some if what you came South to experience. Thus you are not abandoning your trip, just taking an unplanned delay.

It strikes me your biggest problem is sourcing a new/used mast and arranging shipping. But, EVERYTHING on T&C was shipped there, it can be done. Everything else is very doable by yourself if you desire, or hire it out.

Ince you get to T&C you will find resources to help you, and you can fly back to the States if needed.

I know things feel catastrophic. I have faith you can handle this situation. One step at a time.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:35   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, it seems that the mast has been placed back on the boat. This certainly opens up some options. At the very least I would suggest trying to fashion a jury rig from the boom, for no other reason, but to provide a steadying sail, with Florida still the goal.

With the mast salvaged, I would imagine that most, if not all the rigging was also salvaged. Another good thing.

Having all these bits and pieces will certainly go a long way to claim some insurance benefits or other repair costs.

A good friend of mine was returning from a trip around the horn, when he lost his mast, for no particular reason and had to pull into Argentina for repair. He successfully managed to get a new mast and got the rigger to pay for it all, as he lay the blame at the rigger's feet.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:59   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

Sorry to hear of your problems loosing your mast!
I agree with most of the other comments, best to return to Florida. There will be the most options for a replacement mast and sails there.
I would be glad to help you find the best discounted deal on a new rig and can offer some deep discounts on sails to help. You can contact me through the business, www.calvertsails.com
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 08:12   #55

I think I would motor back to Florida. It's going to be cheaper in the US usually. You are not that far down island yet. To get somewhere reasonable like Antigua or St Martin it would be a long motoring trip across places like the Mona Passage...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 08:16   #56
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems loosing your mast!

I agree with most of the other comments, best to return to Florida. There will be the most options for a replacement mast and sails there.

I would be glad to help you find the best discounted deal on a new rig and can offer some deep discounts on sails to help. You can contact me through the business, www.calvertsails.com

Having purchased sails from Dave before, he comes with my highest recommendation. Easy to work with and honest.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 08:18   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Well, it seems that the mast has been placed back on the boat. This certainly opens up some options. At the very least I would suggest trying to fashion a jury rig from the boom, for no other reason, but to provide a steadying sail, with Florida still the goal.

With the mast salvaged, I would imagine that most, if not all the rigging was also salvaged. Another good thing.

Having all these bits and pieces will certainly go a long way to claim some insurance benefits or other repair costs.

A good friend of mine was returning from a trip around the horn, when he lost his mast, for no particular reason and had to pull into Argentina for repair. He successfully managed to get a new mast and got the rigger to pay for it all, as he lay the blame at the rigger's feet.
The mast is at the bottom of the sea, it was broken in half, I only kept the boom which is also damaged but still usable. The rigging was cut to free the mast..
Old 23-03-2022, 08:21   #58

Thank you, I will keep your info. Are you in FL.
Old 23-03-2022, 08:28   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ah, I misunderstood that one photo..I should have looked closer......my bad

I don't understand your insurance policy......if the mast is 20 years old, so will be the rest of the boat. What exactly is insured ??
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 09:03   #60

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Dave,

[EDIT, as the original post was in French, and admin remind me that this forum requires English]

It is really sad to read this story. We can take comfort in thinking that cats have 9 lives...

Returning to Florida is probably the best option to my view. There will be more choices on the mainland than on the islands. Mast, rigging, sails, electrical...

The only reason that would push me to continue south would be the certainty of finding an already existing mast on an island. Without this certainty, you are certain that it will be more expensive, in a less competitive environment.

A return to Florida does not mean abandonment. It's backing up to jump better.

Take your time to decide. There is no rush.

To navigate, consider your weather windows carefully: without the mast, the moment of inertia and therefore resistance to pitching and rolling is much lower making the trip uncomfortable.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mast