Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 16:41   #31

Boat: Pearson Triton
Re: Ditching the Vang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Can you send some more pictures close up of where the dinghy is ending up? It looks like there is a plate on deck built to meet the dodger, no? Looks like if you jammed the bow against the mast and if you had a 7' dinghy, you'd almost clear it? I wonder if the bow could be built in two sections, vertically from the chine, so that it was effectively shorter?

It's basically all I think about these days.

I was thinking today about taking out the hatch entirely and making a sloped area, sort of like a contessa. Not sure how the washboards or doors would work. But then there would be something hard to attach a dodger to.
You're correct in that the "plate" is actually what I'm calling a sea hood made to accept a dodger. I don't have pictures of the dinghy from that angle but I know with it flush up against the mast the dinghy transom is 6 inches short of the hatch boards. I was able to ingress/egress but not easily...sort of like your Contessa idea.

I can't be sure but I think a 7' would still be too long to fit with a dodger, although 6'6" (Minipaw) might fit? James Baldwin carried his 6'6" pram behind the mast of his Triton and had a dodger but I believe he carries it on the foredeck now (for better visibility?).

Links to the sea hood:
http://albergsailboats.org/2011-11-1...pe=orig&id=225
http://albergsailboats.org/2011-11-1...pe=orig&id=226
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 16:57   #32

Hmm...I really like your sea hood there. That's a project I need to do this spring, I hadn't thought of the rails you have coming off of it like that.

God your boat is so clean looking. Beautiful.

One thing I've thought of is putting the bow of the dinghy down very close to the deck, and having the stern mounted pretty high. That way it would offer some clearance for the dodger. And/or having the stern removable. But if I cut into the bow as mentioned previously, I might be able to get another 4 inches.

Kinda wish I'd bought a 1' longer boat but there wasn't one around.

Is that a Lofrans Royal windlass? do you like it?
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:58   #33

Boat: Pearson Triton

I'm not sure what you mean by raising the stern for dodger clearance but it seems that would interfere with the boom -- there's not much clearance as it is. If you're going to have a removable transom I think you're into the realm of a nesting dinghy.

It might be possible to make a dinghy that "fits" over the cabin trunk and doubles as a dodger, but I think it's beyond my imagination. Certainly visibility and ingress/egress would be compromised. Best idea I've heard here is the inset for the outboard that allows the transom to "wrap" around the mast. This also points the narrower bow towards the cockpit which in turn would improve forward visibility. The inset might also allow you to carry a 7' dinghy forward of the mast and still leave room for the windlass. With the right dimensions, it might "wrap" around the cabin trunk perfectly. My 8' dinghy almost fits in this position as it is except for the bow cleat and a few inches of windlass placement.

And yes, it is a Lofrans Manual and other than its slow operation, I really like it. In my younger years I'd have just hauled it up by hand but with a 35 lb. anchor and 150+ ft. of 5/16 high test chain my old back needs some mechanical help.

Here's a video of it in action: Atom Voyages - Lofrans Manual Windlass Demonstration
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 00:47   #34

Boat: kuiper 32

I have the same issues on my yacht now I deflate the dinghy and lash her on deck leaves a lot more room.Takes about 10 minutes to pump up when I arrive.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote