Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 16:28   #1

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
DIY Furler

I'm ready to make leap from hank to roller on my 1981 H27. I'm a single hander and the work load going from a 110 to a 150 and back as time goes by is to much for a 56 yr old, plus storage of the 2 sails below deck on a 27'. I would like a DIY set up...no Bosun chair...any recomendations, I like the CDI unit but practical sailor says the weight aloft of this unit is a negative. Thoughts?
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 20:17   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day DAkno,

That's a tough one if you mean that you want to buy and install a furler without ever going aloft or unstepping the mast. I don't know of any design that would allow that. As far as I know, all designs will need to have the forestay laid out on a flat area for measuring and fitting.

As to the CDI furler... as I recall it is of the type with an integral halyard. This means that there is no upper swivel to buy/worry about, and its absence reduces weight aloft. So, I guess that the foil section that they use must be heavier than other designs. Anyhow, unless you are actively racing, that small difference in weight will likely be invisible to you, so I wouldn't let that drive your decision.

One problem that some seem to have with that sort of furler is getting enough halyard tension on the genoa. The sheave at the top is usually tiny and without bearings, so that heaving on the integral halyard doesn't get the sail stretched much, and on some headsails this is important.

Lastly, if you want that type of furler, there is one made here in Oz called a Reefurl (I think). It is a bit agricultural in appearance but seems to work well enough (seen on lots of local boats), and it is very inexpensive here. Don't know about in your area.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz
Old 10-01-2011, 05:12   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
You can install an Alado furler Alado Nautica USA Reefing and Roller Furling Systems Home Page without dropping the mast. The foil sections are installed from the bottom and pushed up. When they are of the correct length, you just cut the excess from the bottom.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 04:58   #4

Boat: SeaWind 850
Re: DIY Furler

Hi There,
Dito to previous info, any "add on" segmented furler do not need hailyard, it does have its own hailyard or two. On my boat fore halyard is changed to wire for bosun chair operation only. All The Best.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 05:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: DIY Furler

Ignoring the CDI one for the moment because I am not familiar with it, if you fit what I would call a standard furling genoa system you will need to ensure the halyard is angled away from the forestay. There is a risk that the halyard will rap around the forestay rather than the top swivel tuning. The Seldon website give more details.

You can covert hank on sails to furling if your existing sails are in good condition, if in poor condition then its debatable if its worth doing or going for new.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler