Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 04:27   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
DIY Vertical Electric Rope Winch

I have a unique sail control system I'm working on. All lines run to a single electric winch and are held in place by rope locks.

I don't need your standard self tailing marine winch because of this. I need a large diameter vertical drum capstan.

Also, in keeping with my design philosophy of easily replaceable, off the shelf parts everywhere, except when marine is the only option, I'd like to find a good electric motor for this purpose. I was thinking starting motor from a car, but there would likely be some gears involved, complicating things.

Does anyone know where to find a large, new vertical capstan? These don't seem to be made. Googling all-day and there aren't any the size of very large marine winches.

Also, are there electric drive motors with high torque that turn very slowly, like a marine winch?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27   #2

Re: DIY Vertical Electric Rope Winch

I know of no (affordable) DC electric motors that meet the requirements you are looking for without gearing. It's just not possible. But....

There are literally tens of thousands of DC motors and gearbox combinations available for any torque/speed requirement you might have. These are really common industrial things. Prices for one of these will run about $1000 (very roughly) in single unit quantities.

Once you know what torque and speed you want, and what drive connection, and voltage, and physical size, etc, etc.

If you can't find what you are looking for in Leroy-Somers catalog, it doesn't exist...

Bonfiglioli is another supplier for DC motors and gear boxes to turn anything you need turned.

The builder of my boat used motors and gearboxes from both of these manufacturers to run the mainsail furling system.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59   #3

I see! Thanks for the ideas, Bill.

I don't know much about electric motors but that was exactly the idea. Use something off the shelf.

I was thinking starter motors were best but it's a lot of gearing to slow them down.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:21   #4

Although what if I used a lightweight flywheel? That’s a large gear down.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-5082661-qui...CABEgJrG_D_BwE
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2020, 07:22   #5

I think the biggest issue is finding a capstan.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I think the biggest issue is finding a capstan.
Here ya go!
capstans for ships, Google it.
Slow and easy does it best!
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Although what if I used a lightweight flywheel? That’s a large gear down.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-5082661-qui...CABEgJrG_D_BwE
Impossible to answer without know what speed you want, and what torque you need. Basic engineering stuff you need to specify. If you don't know those things, this is a bigger project than you have the tools to do. This isn't something you can just throw together from random spare parts and have a reliable tool.

If you go with a starter motor, you need to be SURE that it is rated for the duty cycle you need to haul up a sail--then trim it. Very few 'starter' motors are rated for operation more than a few seconds at a time. They have NO cooling. Nobody cranks an engine for 2 minutes straight. Most starter motors have duty cycle rating of 10%. Meaning you run it for ONE MINUTE and it needs NINE MINUTES to cool down.

But you knew that, right?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Here ya go!
capstans for ships, Google it.
Slow and easy does it best!
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
A bit large for a 50ft Catamaran lol.

Need something lightweight and about 10-12" in diameter.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Impossible to answer without know what speed you want, and what torque you need. Basic engineering stuff you need to specify. If you don't know those things, this is a bigger project than you have the tools to do. This isn't something you can just throw together from random spare parts and have a reliable tool.

If you go with a starter motor, you need to be SURE that it is rated for the duty cycle you need to haul up a sail--then trim it. Very few 'starter' motors are rated for operation more than a few seconds at a time. They have NO cooling. Nobody cranks an engine for 2 minutes straight. Most starter motors have duty cycle rating of 10%. Meaning you run it for ONE MINUTE and it needs NINE MINUTES to cool down.

But you knew that, right?
I know my old Ideal windlass on my monohull uses one and can run for as long as you want. Pulls up 200' of chain and and anchor without overheating or breaking. Original equipment. Can be easily replaced.

I think loading is part of a duty cycle calculation. But you knew that, right?

You had a great post above. Why get all snarky? I do actually have a Masters in Physics. No need to call me stupid here. It's just not time for a quantitative analysis yet. The more efficient way to solve a problem is to find out if it's remotely possible, then get a rough sketch idea in your head, then finally break out the math to confirm. If I started with math out of the gate, I'd still be laying up the hull.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:30   #10

You are asking SPECIFICALLY what motor to use and what gears. That requires QUANTITATIVE analysis. Loads, running speeds.

You are asking for engineering. For free. You'll get what you pay for.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:38   #11

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Your flywheel thought shows promise, but incorporate safety into that thought string.
An exposed drive (geared, chain or belt) is an accident waiting to happen.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:45   #12

Boat: Riva 48

You need to adapt a simple, cheap mass produced item such as a Jeep winch. These are cheap, sub $100, good quality 12V motors. The only problem is that the drums are supported on both ends while you need a single end bearing support.

You can also consider a vertical capstan winch from five oceans <$500 with 4.5 inch drum.

I do not see the point of having a large drum. You only need it if your lines are really big, ie bigger than 1”. And that would be no longer a boat but a ship.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
You are asking SPECIFICALLY what motor to use and what gears. That requires QUANTITATIVE analysis. Loads, running speeds.

You are asking for engineering. For free. You'll get what you pay for.
Bill, no... I'm just looking for sources for capstans and electric motors and a brainstorming session. I think we have a misunderstanding.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Your flywheel thought shows promise, but incorporate safety into that thought string.
An exposed drive (geared, chain or belt) is an accident waiting to happen.
That's true. The gears would be below the working surface and only the capstan itself above where the people and lines are.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You need to adapt a simple, cheap mass produced item such as a Jeep winch. These are cheap, sub $100, good quality 12V motors. The only problem is that the drums are supported on both ends while you need a single end bearing support.

You can also consider a vertical capstan winch from five oceans <$500 with 4.5 inch drum.

I do not see the point of having a large drum. You only need it if your lines are really big, ie bigger than 1”. And that would be no longer a boat but a ship.
That's a good point. I feel like I need a large diameter drum because the marine winches are large diameter. Might be left over from that.

WOW! Would you look at that! The five oceans might be exactly what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-A.../dp/B0167L0OY2

Tags
cal, DIY, electric, rope, winch