Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 13:02   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Do I need to measure for sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I've purchased a lot of sails over the years. I have used local lofts rather than on-line for many reasons, but an important one is that in every case the sailmaker himself came to the boat to make the measurements. And a local loft can send someone to your boat in your absence to do so now, so I don't see any problem in your situation.

After the measuring, a telephone interview with the sailmaker to discuss options would be essential.

Jim
I'm still waiting for an estimate from the "local" loft (although they are still a couple of hours from the boat) and then I guess I will have to balance new sail this season against costs.

I am sure I can get the boat measured...it's just all about the money. Sounds like the consensus is price and timeliness really ought not to be the deciding factors in this situation.

Thanks all
Old 11-01-2022, 13:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Well it's time. I have both the need and the cash to get a new set of sails. What I don't have is access to the boat.

I was wondering how much of an issue ordering sails using the builders specs would be on a 2003 Hunter 386—its pretty well documented and afaik has no modifications done to it. I am not due to get to the coast until May and I would absolutely love to cruise on brand new sails this spring. I've done an initial round of quotes, but most videos/articles seem to suggest that whatever loft I choose is going to want actual measurements and that isn't likely to be possible until we get out there.

So... how dumb would it be to trust the specs?

Not dumb at all, but you're asking the right question(s).

I took a look at Sail Warehouse
because I know they make "stock" sails for many boats. On their next page (sail search/home page) they have a drop down menu that include lotsa boats. Unfortunately, yours is not one of them.
But their tips on the linked page may help you make up your mind, as well as reading the "issues" they include for consideration.

I do think this is one of those applications of my patented "Your boat, your choice" and may well depend on just what kind of features you need, want and desire in your new sails, knowing that each of those three may be different.

Besides sail weight and material, each sailmaker provides all sorts of options, too. These include attachment to sail track. I have full battens on my main with a Harken batt car system. I would think this would put me out of the running for any kind of stock sails, even though SW "does" Catalina 34 sails.

As always when it comes to sails: mail order gets you usually lower prices, local costs more but they deal with minor issues.

Only other option COULD BE to get a new jib and then wait on the main until you get a local or measure.

Good luck, Happy New Year
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 13:14   #18

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Jim
Spot on
Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 13:39   #19

Boat: Farrier f27

Is there a loft near the boat to where they can go measure it? If I was a sailmaker and wanted a satisfied customer, I would take the time to measure.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:53   #20

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I ordered a new mainsail from a major loft and it was short in the foot. They took the sail back and I used a new major sail maker; it was short in the leach (which has no class measurements) and they are building a new one. Even with measurements things go wrong. Imagine what it will be without.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:06   #21

Boat: Hunter 46

Suggest having a local sail loft measure and install new jib and main sails, that way you can be sure it fits, espeacially with an in-mast main sail............that is what I did on my Hunter 31, 386 and 46.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:39   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I recently talked to a few sail makers, no one was interested in coming to the boat. Not enough money in it. A couple would come, but inly after order was placed. Price difference was nearly double what I ended up paying.

I ended up taking the measurements myself along with a bunch if photos. I have the sail on the boat but have not used it yet. So far it looks fine but I may find something yet.

So a third suggestion would be to find someone you trust near the boat who could take measurements and photos for you. Pay them for their effort.

Just an idea.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24   #23

For whatever it’s worth:
I can only tell you what I had to do in order to obtain the exact sails I needed to accomplish what you are attempting to do.
I removed the sails, folded and bagged and them and drove them to a loft in Santa Cruz, California. In my case, it wasn’t a huge deal because of Santa Cruz’s proximity to my boat berthed in Monterey. The loft obtains most of their sails from a manufacturer in South Africa which makes a quality product at a reasonably competitive price. Turn around time, in my case, was approximately six weeks.
Lofts, typically, do not recognize standard specs (even for production vessels rigging) as adequate in ordering and/or manufacturing sails.
Purchasing custom sail covers to accommodate rigging with Lazy Jacks are even more difficult to order (from a canvas shop, believe it or not).
Lofts and canvas shops just aren’t interested in the uncertainty and want to eliminate any potential of aggravation.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:07   #24

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Talk to the loft. Unless they were the OEM for your builder, they will want a lot more data. When I ordered mine they wanted the published numbers, the actually measured numbers I,E,P,J, etc. measurements from the old sails, pictures of the boat with the old sails hoisted, and any track measurements, foil tape info, my notes on how the existing sails fit and any changes I wanted
Plus, some pictures of what your boat looks like under sail. It took some work to provide all the measurements, but my new sails are terrific. Finding someone to take the measurements is your best bet if you don't want to wait. Just make sure that someone is competent! P.S. for every measurement I took, I took a picture of the tape at the appropriate place for reference and included it with my form. They said that that was super helpful, especially where the boom outhaul car was and the reefing hooks... New sails are the bomb!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:17   #25

Boat: Leopard 45

If the loft is in the are of your boat deffinitely have them come out and do the measurement. If not have someone reliable take the measurements. I had new sails made for a Hunter 34 on the west coast and gave the loft (on the east coast) the original stats for the boat. The sails sent out were over 15" long. I ended up sending the sails back to the loft and they recut. I have since had a local loft recut again at a cost of $500.
Save yourself money and time and use a local loft and have them take the measurements.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:28   #26

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

talk to the loft. your boat's OE specs should be well known, though they like a measure twice check. However, if you are willing to take the risk, ie. pay for any recut needed out of pocket, then they will probably build it.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 13:16   #27
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Well it's time. I have both the need and the cash to get a new set of sails. What I don't have is access to the boat.

I was wondering how much of an issue ordering sails using the builders specs would be on a 2003 Hunter 386—its pretty well documented and afaik has no modifications done to it. I am not due to get to the coast until May and I would absolutely love to cruise on brand new sails this spring. I've done an initial round of quotes, but most videos/articles seem to suggest that whatever loft I choose is going to want actual measurements and that isn't likely to be possible until we get out there.

So... how dumb would it be to trust the specs?
It would be best to have a local loft make the sails. That way if they don't turn out the way you would like you have some redress. All boats are a little different and the sail maker may have some suggestions you didn't think of.
Are you totall satisfied with the layout of the old sails or are there some upgrades or enhancements you would like on the new sails i.e. an additional reef...give it some thought.

I had terrible old sails on my boat when I bought it and used a local loft. She is well known and made numerous suggestions to enhance my sailing plans. I'll very glad I did.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 17:02   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

A round trip tickets to go roughly 800 miles can’t be that much, given the investment you are going to be making. If the loft declines taking the measurements themselves, do it yourself.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 06:45   #29

Don’t self measure! If things don’t fit, you’ll end up paying to modify them. As a production boat owner and a rigger, I can tell you, equipment varies a bit- one mast may be Isomat, one may be Spar craft for example. If you have inmast furling things get complicated as well with battens and leech length…one of the advantages of working with a sail loft is they can tune your sails to fit your sailing location & style. Example~ I reduced my Genoa size and went with a steeper foot to improve stability in stiff winds and allow me to see the bow from under the sail- safer & less tiring when on a long passage .
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:14   #30

Quote:
Ya, that's my suspicion. I wonder how much to costs to hire a guy—the idea of new sails is just so inviting
Have you considered talking to a local sail loft and asking them to measure? Of course you will have to buy the ails from them. It also would give you the piece of mind that they will be built correctly because if not they would be obligated to make them right.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails