Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Do I Really Need a Vang?

I am shortening my boom to update my Valiant. Already have a main with a shorter foot and she sails a lot better. With the boom two feet shorter it makes sense to move the mainsheet forward of the dodger. This puts it close to the Vang. Since they are both tackles that go to the boat, should I get rid of one?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07   #2

Re: Do I really need a Vang?

The job of the vang is to hold the boom down after it exceeds the ability of the traveler to extend outboard and still hold everything down.

You can really make up your mind for yourself. I suggest going out in some variable winds and heading downwind such that the main is out past 45 degrees. See if you can keep the boom from jumping up and down with the main sheet alone. I doubt you can. The vang would hold it steady in that scenario.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Absolutely not. The vang should be led forward when running to prevent an accidental jibe.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Absolutely not. The vang should be led forward when running to prevent an accidental jibe.
I believe the correct way to do this is a preventer from the end of the boom. A vang led forward could bend a boom right?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19   #5

Quote:
Vangs should not be used as preventers. The vang is necessary to depower the main when going downwind. Use a proper preventer run to the foredeck and back to the cockpit. Or use a boom brake.

Keep the vang to maintain the correct twist, when you run out to the end of the traveller.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:45   #6

I would keep a soft vang... very useful for lots of things. Are you getting rid of some weather helm?
A vang makes a great preventer and a lot less work than setting up at the boom end for medium to light conditions. If snap shacklesx on both ends can be used for lifting things off the end of the boom etc.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am shortening my boom to update my Valiant. Already have a main with a shorter foot and she sails a lot better. With the boom two feet shorter it makes sense to move the mainsheet forward of the dodger. This puts it close to the Vang. Since they are both tackles that go to the boat, should I get rid of one?
Installing a Garhauer rigid vang was the the best upgrade I've done.

Holds the boom up, no more topping lift
Plenty of reduction so it's easy to adjust sail shape
Brought the line back to the cockpit so it's easy to adjust on the fly
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a rigid Vang and the block and tackle. Just seemed like a lot of stuff under the boom. I mean I will soon have:
1. Gallows
2. Mainsheet and traveler
3. Rope Vang
4. Spring driven Vang
5. Preventers going to each side.
Ideas to simplify?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:27   #9

If you have the rigid vang why do you still need the soft vang and also why do you need the gallows? Shouldn't the rigid vang hold the boom up?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I believe the correct way to do this is a preventer from the end of the boom. A vang led forward could bend a boom right?
Or turn into a two piece boom...

You are 100% correct...

In light to moderate conditions you can get away with using the vang forward, but it's very bad habit..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:36   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I have a rigid Vang and the block and tackle. Just seemed like a lot of stuff under the boom. I mean I will soon have:
1. Gallows

This supports the boom when not activly using it......nice to have, but not needed when you have a rigid vang
2. Mainsheet and traveler

This allows you to control leech tension while within the limits of the traveler
3. Rope Vang
4. Spring driven Vang

I would imagine that you have a rigid vang that has a purchase on the outside. this is to lift and support the boom in light air so you can open up the leech without a topping lift, the line purchase allows you to tension the leech when sheeted out beyond the limits of the traveler.
5. Preventers going to each side.

These prevent an accidental gybe, they do not control the shape of the sail.
Ideas to simplify?
To simplify this setup, loose the gallows. The rest works in concert to shape your sail.

But if you loose the rigid vang you'll need to replace it with an adjustable topping lift.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:40   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
That's how I broke the boom. Agree with others use a proper preventer, not the vang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Vangs should not be used as preventers. The vang is necessary to depower the main when going downwind. Use a proper preventer run to the foredeck and back to the cockpit. Or use a boom brake.

Keep the vang to maintain the correct twist, when you run out to the end of the traveller.

The vang is usually used to power up the main and is released to depower. No vang can make for variable sail trim as the boom rises and lowers making it harder to sail. A vang also prevents goose wing jibes. The boom rises up and if long enough catches on the backstay, or at the very least the top of the main jibes before the bottom causing steering problems. Of course normally a goose wing jibe would only happen on an accidental jibe since you would be sheeting in to jibe.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The gallows might be redundant most of the time but if it's already there I would keep it. If you are ever motoring in a calm with a swell running you can lash the boom to the gallows to keep from slamming back and forth as the boat rolls. No matter how tight you pull the sheet or vang or lifts they won't hold the boom still and you will quickly go insane.

I guess you could rig double preventers to hold the boom in those conditions but they would be somewhat in the way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36   #14

Boat: Allures 44

What CalJohn says. Ease the vang downwind and you depower the main. Ease it too far on a run, or sail without a vang, and you lose lateral stability. You can also get some ugly jibes.

A number of "classic" one-designs are raced without vangs. Jibing them in a strong breeze is no fun.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you want to use the realestate under the boom, a rigid vang won't work. That leaves a tackle vang to the deck or rail where it doubles as a preventer as well as a vang. Unfortunately, that can result in a broken boom in a serious role. It's a possiblitly you have to accept. Can't imagine sailing DDW without a vang of some sort.

On my boat, the boom is so long and so close to the deck that a solid vang from boom to mast would be a recipe for disaster. It's such an acute angle and long lever arm, doubt that it could resist being ripped off either the mast or boom. The PO tried it using a pad eye with 1/4" fasteners tapped into the mast. It lasted one afternoon sail across SF Bay.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote