Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 07:57   #16

Boat: J. J. Taylor, Contessa 32
Re: Does Dyneema suffer from grease exposure?

I'm not sure why one would want to lubricate Dyneema but, as more and more boats replace wire rigging with Dyneema, the question of grease exposure is relevant to greasing turnbuckles and toggles, which is necessary not only to make tuning the rig easier but to prevent galling and seizing. Its hard to do that without getting some grease on the rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
My own experience is the source: a portion of Dyneema trampoline net frayed and essentially rotted, not from high traffic or long use, but because it was right next to the diesel fill that always dripped a few drops on it when filling up. I mended the spot with a patch of new netting, which also began to degrade. The rest of the original netting remained in good condition, despite traffic and abuse: the only difference was the diesel.

This is the only example I have, so not super-scientific, but to me it's telling. Perhaps it's a combo of diesel and sunshine? It'd be good to know how DSM tested theirs.
Eight Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 08:19   #17

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

Practical Sailor tested liquid chafe protection products Link
- Spinlock RP25
- Yale Maxijacket
- Flexdel's Rope Dip

The RP25 data sheet shows it being applied beneficially to Dyneema. But it is intended to increase grip in winches and decrease chafe, rather than decrease friction.

Yale MaxiJacket marketing sheet shows "High Performance Maxijacket" for high-modulus fibers.

Flexdel Rope Dip may be off the market - it's unavailable from Defender, who used to carry it and is not listed on the company web site.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 06:45   #18

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Sails View Post
I'm not sure why one would want to lubricate Dyneema but, as more and more boats replace wire rigging with Dyneema, the question of grease exposure is relevant to greasing turnbuckles and toggles, which is necessary not only to make tuning the rig easier but to prevent galling and seizing. Its hard to do that without getting some grease on the rig.
I really think this is 100% avoidable. You need to only use grease directly on the threads, then clean up the excess with a rag. The turnbuckles are well below the dyneema, so no reason for grease to ever run or spread upwards.

The amount of grease needed for turnbuckle threads is really pretty nominal and easy to control.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 09:41   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Dyneema is made of UHMWPE if you consult the chemical resistance table for Dyneema the chemicals; Aviation Fuel, Petrol, Oil, Ethanol, Toluene at 100% concentration has no effect on the strength.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/q6qgec8...Resistance.pdf
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema