Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 10:30   #136

Boat: Dufour 385
Re: Downwind Sail for Ocean Race

Most everything covered. I have asymmetric. And a sock, but often don't have much crew. Love the sock. My comment: whatever you get, test with the idea of determining mainsail impact. Past 160 degrees, I do better with my main fully down. Surprised me. I do not have pole and never go below 175. Wing-on-wing not an option for me. Too hard to control sails.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 14:08   #137

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Most everything covered. I have asymmetric. And a sock, but often don't have much crew. Love the sock. My comment: whatever you get, test with the idea of determining mainsail impact. Past 160 degrees, I do better with my main fully down. Surprised me. I do not have pole and never go below 175. Wing-on-wing not an option for me. Too hard to control sails.

Pretty much describes my experience also, though I have a pole and use it a lot with the asym.
Old 06-06-2020, 14:34   #138

Boat: Rafiki 37

Go for the symmetric spinny if you have the crew for it. They are kind of out of fashion nowadays but I love mine and even fly it single-handed a lot
Old 07-06-2020, 03:29   #139

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Go for the symmetric spinny if you have the crew for it. They are kind of out of fashion nowadays but I love mine and even fly it single-handed a lot
Why? You haven't actually mentioned any reasons or supporting facts?

Whereas going for the asymmetric + pole option is an attempt to give the benefits of both.

- For ease of handling and/or with limited crew the asymmetric can be very simply flown from the bow on it's tackline (even just with the tackline and 1 sheet, to be really lazy).

- But when looking for more performance, or to sail deeper on a long passage, the pole can be used to mimic the effects of a symmetrical spinnaker.

That seems like a win to me.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:44   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Why? You haven't actually mentioned any reasons or supporting facts?

Whereas going for the asymmetric + pole option is an attempt to give the benefits of both.

- For ease of handling and/or with limited crew the asymmetric can be very simply flown from the bow on it's tackline (even just with the tackline and 1 sheet, to be really lazy).

- But when looking for more performance, or to sail deeper on a long passage, the pole can be used to mimic the effects of a symmetrical spinnaker.

That seems like a win to me.

I found that persuasive, and I have now bought a 200m2 (about 2150 square feet) A2. Now trying to figure out how to ship it from the US.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:48   #141

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I found that persuasive, and I have now bought a 200m2 (about 2150 square feet) A2. Now trying to figure out how to ship it from the US.
Congrats

Looking forward to future progress and updates.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:53   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Congrats

Looking forward to future progress and updates.

I am very grateful for all of your excellent advice!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:57   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am very grateful for all of your excellent advice!
You are most welcome
Old 07-06-2020, 06:20   #144

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you want something that can be used short-handed after the race then ignore the symmetrical spinnaker.

That leaves
A. Asymmetrical
B. Code Zero
C. Drifter.

Drifter is almost certainly the cheapest. If you have a double groove headstay foil you could set it on with the Yankee and fly both simultaneously.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:56   #145

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

For a lot less money than a sock, I once sewed up what friends called a 'goalie' for distance ocean racing. The 'goalie' is a contraption that will make you much less worried about a asymmetric spinnaker wrap, so you have more confidence leaving it up at night or in rolly conditions.... The 'goalie' is made in a triangle shape, just like a 100 jib, but it's just the outline of a sail. Then, one sews in horizontal pieces of webbing in several spots.... I had a much smaller boat, so my horizontal pieces were about 5' apart. The 'goalie' goes up on a halyard, is attached to the forestay, secured at the deck and back at the mast. It can be made so that it slides up a furled genoa, if that's what you have. The idea is that the goalie permits air to blow through it, obviously, put it PREVENTS a spinnaker from wrapping around the forestay... i wish I could draw a picture....it's so simple... You could make one with some webbing or light line, a sewing machine (for webbing) in a day.....and it could make your stress level go WAY down! I no longer have the boat I built if for, and I gave up ocean racing because of advanced years, but friends used this system some years ago to win the double handled class of the Transpac, (or maybe the Pacific Cup?)....It also makes a DOUSE and set less nervewracking. I think one could be used with a symmetric sail, too, but would have to be adjusted somewhat because of the pole and its topping lift which could get in the way during a gybe..... Can you visualize this?
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:59   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If you want something that can be used short-handed after the race then ignore the symmetrical spinnaker.

That leaves
A. Asymmetrical
B. Code Zero
C. Drifter.

Drifter is almost certainly the cheapest. If you have a double groove headstay foil you could set it on with the Yankee and fly both simultaneously.

In a perfect world you would empty everything from the fore peak ...then fill it up completely with crisp new sails ..upwind sails , reaching sails , downwind sails , light wind sails ....a huge pile of good stuff
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 16:19   #147

Boat: Valiant 40

It just occurred to me that your boat has a rating (hopefully) and that rating is dependant on a specified sail inventory. Before you buy anything you should check and see what sails are allowed for the rating to be valid. With your boat it's likely a symmetrical, and with a max area.

If a leg is dead downwind then your boat will be faster point to point with the symmetrical. It's lighter sleds that really perform with assyms. Then again trimming and tending a symmetrical for max performance can be exhausting on a long race as you need someone on both the sheet and guy.
Old 08-06-2020, 16:23   #148

Boat: Bristol 27

I wouldn't worry too much about your sails etc because if you haven't raced much you will be so far behind that it won't matter except for trying not to be DFL
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 17:07   #149

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about your sails etc because if you haven't raced much you will be so far behind that it won't matter except for trying not to be DFL
Boy, aren't you encouraging....? He said it wasn't a 'serious' race. BTW: I won my class and got a beautiful 3' tall traveling trophy for the first ocean race I ever entered. It was only 100 miles. Wonderful sailing Tartan 30 was one reason. I used an asym, btw....'cuz that's all the spinnaker I had in those days!
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 17:09   #150

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I dunno mate, I’d bet Dockhead is a much better sailor than a bunch of off-the-beach cat sailors. I’m tipping a top five finish.

Tags
race, sail, wind