Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 14:53   #16

Re: Drill assisted Mainsail hoisting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
A little more versatile than a drill is the ewincher. Its a powered winch handle.

More info here, though it may be behind a paywell.

https://www.morganscloud.com/2020/09/22/ewincher/
Not sure how it is more versatile, but I know it’s crazy expensive, costing several times more than an electric drill that can do the same, plus “drilling” functions.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 15:12   #17

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1480

I have one of these DeWalt DCD470N-XJ 54V FlexVolt XR Li-ion Cordless Brushless Right Angle Drill

Specifications:

Voltage: 54V
Chuck type: 1/2" Keyed
No load speed:
Speed 1: 0 - 400rpm
Speed 2: 0 - 1320rpm
Max torque: 135Nm
Weight: 6.9kg

I was gonna buy one of the M18 but the De Walt had more torque

Specifications:

Voltage: 18V
Chuck Size: 13mm
Chuck type: Metal
Speed: 0 - 1500rpm
Torque: 30-43Nm
Capacity in Wood:
Auger Bits: Up 32mm
Self-Feed Bits: Up to 50mm
Length: 396mm
Weight: 3.5kg
com5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 16:32   #18

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

I use a Makita 24 v (most powerful) hand drill that has 1000 inch lbs of torque and no problem forward or reverse on all winches on 37 ft boat for sails and hoisting person up in bosuns chair . Have extra battery which gives me 2 weeks use. Doubles on shore as a hell of a good work drill. With extra battery was about 350$ with 2 included lithium 5 amp batteries each.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:00   #19

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I would never use any powered device to raise my sails, you have no way of knowing if something has jammed and is causing friction, and the next thing you know you've ripped the head out of your mainsail or whatever. Have the proper sized and geared winch and do the job properly. Laziness has no place on a sailboat. If you have the right winch and you still cannot raise your sails and you've checked that nothing is catching or causing friction, there perhaps you need to look at your own health issues and whether you should be sailing such a large vessel. That power tool might fail you when you need it the most, sailing is supposed to be about self sufficiency.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13   #20

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Yes Sir.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I would never use any powered device to raise my sails, you have no way of knowing if something has jammed and is causing friction, and the next thing you know you've ripped the head out of your mainsail or whatever. Have the proper sized and geared winch and do the job properly. Laziness has no place on a sailboat. If you have the right winch and you still cannot raise your sails and you've checked that nothing is catching or causing friction, there perhaps you need to look at your own health issues and whether you should be sailing such a large vessel. That power tool might fail you when you need it the most, sailing is supposed to be about self sufficiency.

And yet, tens of thousands of sailboats worldwide use electric winches without issue. But to each their own judgmental beliefs... regardless of how clueless they sound.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:10   #22

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post

And yet, tens of thousands of sailboats worldwide use electric winches without issue. But to each their own judgmental beliefs... regardless of how clueless they sound.
+1
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawingo View Post
This topic has been discussed before but perhaps not recently. I am looking to purchase a right angle drill to hoist the 540 sq ft mainsail of my Nonsuch 30. Most are using a winchrite or an older Milwaukee 28V right angle drill but there are problems reversing this drill and one must do a modification so that the winchbit is mounted into the drill. I am wondering if anyone is using either the newer M18 “hole hawg” or the “super hawg” with the 1/2 inch chuck. Inputs are appreciated. Thanks
Where are you located?
I may have a solution for you.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milw Drill.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	235774  
Old 03-04-2021, 10:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Where are you located?

Don
Sorry- $299. w/o shipping cost
Old 03-04-2021, 12:17   #25

Nova Scotia Canada
Mawingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Where are you located?

Don
I am in Nova Scotia Canada
Mawingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 13:23   #27

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

The Ewincher is not a drill replacement. It is really an electric winch replacement. It is designed for sailing and being at sea. It is more robust than a drill. It is also much more expensive: about $2700.

I have nothing to do with ewincher. Based on the AAC review, my guess is it will outlast your electric drill and perform like a portable electric winch.

To quote the article linked previously:

"We have long had a 24-volt Milwaukee right-angle drill motor and winch bit as part of our Jordan Series Drogue retrieval kit. I did mess around with this a bit to see if it would work for general sailing and found it way too bulky and generally inelegant for the purpose. And, of course, the biggest issue is that one splash of salt water would be the end."

jmc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 17:35   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We have long had a 24-volt Milwaukee right-angle drill motor and winch bit as part of our Jordan Series Drogue retrieval kit. I did mess around with this a bit to see if it would work for general sailing and found it way too bulky and generally inelegant for the purpose. And, of course, the biggest issue is that one splash of salt water would be the end."
Damn! Here I've been using an "inelegant" and "bulky" bit of kit for 8 years now, not knowing that it was about to be cancelled by salt water. Next time we're out sailing I'll be sure to check to see if anyone is watching before using it once again to hoist, to trim, to furl.

Of course, for the price of the elegant one I can buy 4 or 5 replacement drills. Let's see... if this one has lasted 8 years, that should see me supplied with working drills until somewhere around 2050 or so.

I will just have to toughen up to ignore those elegant folks who sneer at me...

Jim
Old 04-04-2021, 08:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
The Ewincher is not a drill replacement. It is really an electric winch replacement. It is designed for sailing and being at sea. It is more robust than a drill. It is also much more expensive: about $2700.

I have nothing to do with ewincher. Based on the AAC review, my guess is it will outlast your electric drill and perform like a portable electric winch.

To quote the article linked previously:

"We have long had a 24-volt Milwaukee right-angle drill motor and winch bit as part of our Jordan Series Drogue retrieval kit. I did mess around with this a bit to see if it would work for general sailing and found it way too bulky and generally inelegant for the purpose. And, of course, the biggest issue is that one splash of salt water would be the end."

As Jim said- I didn't know they were so subject to disintegration by a splash of salt water. Maybe I should put my "inelegant" unit down below instead of up on deck where it has resided on various boats for years.
Actually, I have 3 of these, 2 here in USA and 1 in Asia. All on different boats and all have been doing an "inelegant" job flawlessly for years.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:17   #30

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

I have the NEW Model Milwaukee 18v fuel brushless. Standard. Not right angle.
61ft cat. 25m mast. Large heavy main with 2:1 halyard.
Hoists it no worries at all.
Much lighter than the right angle drills.
My winch is on mast. Lets me hold bit in more easily.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail