Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 04:35   #1

Drill assisted Mainsail hoisting

This topic has been discussed before but perhaps not recently. I am looking to purchase a right angle drill to hoist the 540 sq ft mainsail of my Nonsuch 30. Most are using a winchrite or an older Milwaukee 28V right angle drill but there are problems reversing this drill and one must do a modification so that the winchbit is mounted into the drill. I am wondering if anyone is using either the newer M18 “hole hawg” or the “super hawg” with the 1/2 inch chuck. Inputs are appreciated. Thanks
Mawingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:05   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Drill assisted Mainsail hoisting

I'm using the Milwaukee 2709. Its a super hole hawg, M18 fuel battery. Milwaukee also makes a 2809. The difference between them is the gearing. The 2709 has a low gear at 350 rpm, the 2809 is 500 rpm, both using the same motor. Thus the 2709 has substantially more torque. People like the 28v right angle drill because it is geared to 300 rpm, but the 28v system is being phased out.

I run mine mostly forward, so no real problem with the chuck coming loose.

I tried a smaller 2704, is geared for 550 rpm, had the power, but when pushed hard I got a smell of overheating electrics and then stop, self protecting. After cooling it would work again. Milwaukee, I think, designed this drill to provide absolutely maximum power for short periods and then self protect. The 2709 does not overheat.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:20   #3

Thanks for the reply. I assume that weight is not a big problem? Thanks again.
Mawingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:25   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

I can hoist the main on my boat, 65' mast, with 45 winch.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:18   #5

Right angle drill
I have been using the right angle 28 volt Milwaukee drill for years. I also use it for furling and on my two speed winches. Originally I did have an issue with the chuck unscrewing in reverse but that was simply solved with some red locktite. After I purchased it, my wife asked me why I had not bought it earlier.

Alan J C400 #130
Alan W Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:55   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawingo View Post
This topic has been discussed before but perhaps not recently. I am looking to purchase a right angle drill to hoist the 540 sq ft mainsail of my Nonsuch 30. Most are using a winchrite or an older Milwaukee 28V right angle drill but there are problems reversing this drill and one must do a modification so that the winchbit is mounted into the drill. I am wondering if anyone is using either the newer M18 “hole hawg” or the “super hawg” with the 1/2 inch chuck. Inputs are appreciated. Thanks
Just go with the standard Milwaukee right angle drill with a twenty five foot extension cord, about half the cost of the battery version and they all come with a 1/2" keyed chuck. These have been around for years and are the standard in the electrical and plumbing contacting. I did own the 28v tool kit but found the tools to be extremely heavy - oversized for most of what I needed. Never bought the right angle drill as I already owned the corded version.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:13   #7

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Remember to put it away when not in use. I fractured one toe and bruised several other body parts leaving it unattended in the cockpit. It is a toe magnet.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27   #8

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Question if you use red lo tote to keep the bit in, then I’m thinking you have one purpose tool that can no longer drill holes etc. is my thinking correct?
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:30   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Just go with the standard Milwaukee right angle drill with a twenty five foot extension cord, about half the cost of the battery version and they all come with a 1/2" keyed chuck. These have been around for years and are the standard in the electrical and plumbing contacting. I did own the 28v tool kit but found the tools to be extremely heavy - oversized for most of what I needed. Never bought the right angle drill as I already owned the corded version.
The idea of using 120v tools outside in the salt spray at sea really scares me. My dismasting plan used to be cutting the rig off with my Makita 120v right angle grinder and a cutoff wheel, but as soon as they were available I bought the 18v battery version.

My Milwaukee 28v drill is still going strong after 15 years, but I did have to buy a couple of new batteries.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03   #10

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

What about using a block attached to the sail's headboard with the halyard tied off at the top of the mast? Needs a longer halyard but gives you a 2:1 purchase. Thereby reducing the need for powering the winch.
Just a though
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:13   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
Question if you use red lo tote to keep the bit in, then I’m thinking you have one purpose tool that can no longer drill holes etc. is my thinking correct?
We use a winch bit that is gripped in the chuck instead of screwing onto the spindle, thus allowing the drill to be used for it's intended purpose when needed. Also with red loc-tite on the spindle threads... has worked well for almost a decade.

Jim
Old 02-04-2021, 12:29   #12

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Jim Cate thank you for the clarification it makes sense to me now. Simple good
tip.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 13:12   #13

I just got the 28V Milwaukee 0271 angle drill. It is expensive and a bit of a "beast" (need to figure out where to store it securely), but it works very well for hoisting the main. On my boat, hoisting the main is a real workout. I am still going to do it manually occasionally, just for the exercise, but the Milwaukee is certainly a great solution.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 13:31   #14

I was trying to compare these several months ago. The Super Hawg is a monster, and I was trying to find something a bit more compact while still having the torque for our needs. Plus I was trying to compare tools with the older 28v model many of us are familiar with. They make a tool called the Mud Mixer that is more compact, and appears slow and powerful. Unfortunately, The manufacturer was ZERO help in providing information. When I specifically asked Milwaukee Tools for torque values for the 3 products I was trying to compare... after 3 weeks of not hearing from them... told me they “don’t rate them for torque because they are drills”... which was one of the stupidest, laziest, non-answers I’ve gotten for a while. (BTW... they DO list torque ratings for some of their other drills!) I’ll definitely be looking at other manufacturers for options before buying. It just hasn’t risen to a purchase priority on the boat list yet.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 14:30   #15

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

A little more versatile than a drill is the ewincher. Its a powered winch handle.

More info here, though it may be behind a paywell.

https://www.morganscloud.com/2020/09/22/ewincher/
jmc42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail