Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2024, 13:01   #46

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Dyneema broke at cover taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This season I got to observe the difference this makes for the jib in light weather performance and it is remarkable. I had been using a 5/8” Regattabraid before!

My very first dyneema project was asym sheets on my old Sabre 34. Pure cruiser, not an ounce of "performance cruiser" in that old heavy boat (but I sure did like her!). The thought of high tech (NER and Marlow list 12-strand dyneema in the "grand prix" category!) was a real eye opener for me. But an asym needs VERY long lines (just shy of double the boat length), and over half is simply "tail" that you pull in when gybing. But the part that goes out to the sail is light and hydrophobic, so it doesn't hurt the sail at all.

So compare this cruiser to the boat (40') we just started racing on. He has yet to take the big step to actually SET the asym, but he's really proud of the 7/16 double braid dacron sheets he just bought for the sail. UGH. How do I tell him that he should use them for tying loads on his utility trailer, and let me make him some good sheets?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema