Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 16:29   #1

Dyneema, HMPE, UHMWPE, Acera, SK75, SK78

Hello,

I'm looking for some comparable ropes to Liros Regatta 2000 in 8mm or something else with SK75 or SK78.
At the moment, I'm not a sailing guy, but i think, this might be the best forum for this kind of question.

I'm about to build a "cablecam", a motorized slider on a tense rope with an an attached cameragimbal.

Therefor I need a rope, which has almost the same specifications like the common 8mm Dyneema Ropes (elongination <2%).

After some research, I found some chinastuff at aliexpress, which is telling to be UHMWPE fibre. (https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32811886881.html)

Is there a Chinarope or any other alternative, which behaves like common Dyneema 8mm, but costs much less?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

oxxe
oxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Dyneema, HMPE, UHMWPE, Acera, SK75, SK78

Hi Oxxe,

When my friends were first dabbling in cablecams fifteen or more years ago, they were using Vectran, which has less elongation even than Dyneema and does not creep with time. I don't know what they're using today, but Vectran is pretty inexpensive compared to other fibers.
Where dyneema SK75 will sag, pre-stretched SK75 (like DUX) will not. DUX is expensive.
Where dyneema SK78 will sag, pre-stretched SK78 (like MAX) will sag less--but there's a big upcharge.
Wherever pre-stretched SK78 will work, SK99 will as well, at about the same price, but softer and easier to splice.
The newest fiber variation, Dyneema DM20, has less elongation and creep than the rest, but has a slightly lower breaking load.
Vectran has a shorter life, especially if exposed to UV.
I would not use Chineema for anything I cared about. The only people making actual Dyneema are DSM, and actual Spectra comes from Honeywell. Right now I'm using a lot of Marlow products, which use DSM's Dyneema. I think it's worth the money not to risk using Chinese knockoffs.
Old 11-03-2021, 14:43   #3

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

The best price your going to get on Dyneema is at go2marine.com and purchase some Amstel Blue.
Old 11-03-2021, 20:05   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
The best price your going to get on Dyneema is at go2marine.com and purchase some Amstel Blue.

Acera Amundsen from Greenline Fishing is less expensive. But you will need to like yellow.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema