Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 09:59   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Dyneema Loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Is there a good place to go to get splicing instructions?
Samson ropes give excellent instructions. They have a few dozen pdfs online.

I looked critically as instructions for eye splices last year and some of the online instructions from manufacturers are very poor and will result in significantly weaker splices. Samson are reliable.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, I can splice one up in about the time it would take me to order one online (assuming good Internet service...which I often dont have out cruising)...and WAY quicker than going to a brick & mortar store (assuming I lived in a metropolitan area with stores like REI).

And I enjoy doing rope work! I find it relaxing and satisfying. Basic rope work is also a good self-sufficiencey skill to have...especially if you spend a lot of time far away from fancy stores that take credit cards...Im about 2 days travel away from such, and none of them likely stock dyneema loops.

I spliced up a loop of old 3-strand today over coffee today, just because a bit of scrap was lying there and I had the time. Not as fancy or as strong as dyneema, but still plenty of uses aboard.
Man after my own heart

There is something inexplicably satisfying about doing ropework . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:15   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Samson ropes give excellent instructions. They have a few dozen pdfs online.

I looked critically as instructions for eye splices last year and some of the online instructions from manufacturers are very poor and will result in significantly weaker splices. Samson are reliable.

SWL
Samson also sells a little splicing spiral book. We have it and it's nice. Has all classes of splices and which to use for their Ropes but I'm sure you can tell which are which for other manufacturers rope
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 13:39   #19

Boat: 48ft steel one-off

I made a YouTube on how to do a dyneema uncovered loop of small diameter but then with a long enough bury. You need two soft-fids for this:
https://youtu.be/c0FXGTPV440
This takes me 5-7 minutes.

Another on how to make a covered loop:
https://youtu.be/FZVhCHHKVKM
This a make in around 10 minutes
Sysunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 13:42   #20

Samson. Sorry for the mess, I'm making shackles and strops offshore at work. Click image for larger version

Name:	1526589682147.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	169940Click image for larger version

Name:	1526589712925.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	169941
Old 17-05-2018, 15:04   #21

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Heck yeah, they are at least as useful. Rock climbers and construction rigging live by them, and there are many boat uses.

Another use is capturing loft friction rings, which have uses on any boat, racer or cruiser.

Adjustable bobstay. I use them on barberhaulers and outhauls as well.

Hello Thinwater - what size friction rings are in the photos? I wanted to buy several to work with but those rings are pricey online and I didn't want to end up with some I'll never use. My local West Marine and RI don't have anything like those in the photo.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 16:45   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just as an aside/reminder . . . . there are several models of dacron/polyester single braid inexpensively available; and you can do all the clever constructions with it that you can do with dyneema single braid and it works great (actually often better than dyneema because there is pretty much no slipping issue) so long as the loads are moderate and you dont need the super high strength of dyneema. and it is cheap

so if you are just making loops for halyard parking and such it is pretty ideal stuff
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 16:46   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
Hello Thinwater - what size friction rings are in the photos? I wanted to buy several to work with but those rings are pricey online and I didn't want to end up with some I'll never use. My local West Marine and RI don't have anything like those in the photo.
I like Antal and Nautos best; smooth with deep grooves.

If you look closely, the left hand block is 14 mm Antal. The right hand block Is Wichard FRX 15. All of them work about the same. WM usually stocks Harken. The line is 6mm Amsteel. I think these are the right size; bigger is a waste and smaller increases friction. Note that the line is larger than 6mm in the image, more like 8mm, because it includes the bury portion of the splice. That happens. The splices are lock stitched, I just hid it well.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_12389-1.html

I don't know what you are rigging; Omega Pacific rappel rings can be a low cost alternative.
Old 17-05-2018, 18:18   #24

I buy Wichard and Antal, I find hardly any difference between the two. Wichard has a couple sizes Antal doesn't and vise versa on Defender. Both are cheaper and stronger than the block it could replace.

Good tip on the single braid for low loads. A spin pole downhaul would be a good idea for that. Or furling line leads. At least for a moderate size boat or smaller.
Old 18-05-2018, 08:37   #25

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I like Antal and Nautos best; smooth with deep grooves.....

I don't know what you are rigging; Omega Pacific rappel rings can be a low cost alternative.
Thanks - I ended up using the Omega Pacific rings in my lifelines, luggage tagged both sides. Guess I'll order a couple grooved rings from Defender to try some ideas out.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema