Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 06:23   #1

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Elegant Reefing Solutions

I'm looking to upgrade our reefing system and am looking for feedback on what people are doing, what works and what doesn't. Something really easy and elegant. Specifically I am looking for ways to secure the tack, without using a downhaul line and without using a reefing horn or hook. I want one person to be able to go to the mast and secure the tack quickly, easily and securely at sea. This is for a 50' sloop, so it has to be strong. I'm thinking something made out of UHMWPE probably?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 06:27   #2

Re: Elegant Reefing Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I'm looking to upgrade our reefing system and am looking for feedback on what people are doing, what works and what doesn't. Something really easy and elegant. Specifically I am looking for ways to secure the tack, without using a downhaul line and without using a reefing horn or hook. I want one person to be able to go to the mast and secure the tack quickly, easily and securely at sea. This is for a 50' sloop, so it has to be strong. I'm thinking something made out of UHMWPE probably?
dyneema strop, with trigger shackle (tylaska/wichard), from properly placed padeye. Super quick and easy and secure. Commonly done on bigger boats.

You could use a soft shackle rather than trigger shackle, but they are slower to operate and usually require two hands. The trigger shackle is superior for this application.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 06:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
dyneema strop, with trigger shackle (tylaska/wichard), from properly placed padeye. Super quick and easy and secure. Commonly done on bigger boats.

You could use a soft shackle rather than trigger shackle, but they are slower to operate and usually require two hands. The trigger shackle is superior for this application.
Do you mean a snap shackle? This sounds non-adjustable. So I'd need at least three different length strops for the first, second and third reefs. How do you secure the snap shackle? On a pad eye? Then you've got a snap shackle (or more likely two; one on each side so that you can always stand on the upwind side to reef) banging around when not in use, tapping on the mast. I like the idea, just needs some refinement. Thanks.
Old 24-02-2022, 03:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have two toggle-and-loop dyneema strops, one for each reef, that go through the cringle and around the boom. The toggle is hardwood, though aluminum and stainless ones are commercially available. Cheap to make, strong enough to lift the boat, easy to secure and undo, and impossible to flog loose if the loop is correctly sized (not that a reefing strop ever flogs). If the boom is too big around, I've rigged some that go through the tack attachment on the boom--you just need the room to feed the strop through.
Old 24-02-2022, 04:32   #5

Boat: Moody 376

you say elegant and easy. while may take some doing to set up, once set up, a single line slab reefing can be set up to run the lines back to the cockpit, so no one even has to go to the mast (easy). and if done right most all of the lines can be hidden inside the boom (elegant) and if you don't want to run the lines back to the cockpit, then you can leave them at the mast.

yes it does fail the "no down haul" part of the test.

personally i would think grabbing a line in the comfort of the cockpit rather than having to deal with cringle hooks or strops/toggles would outweigh the downside of having a down haul...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reefing.png
Views:	473
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	253491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main boom rigging schematic.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	253492  

marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 17:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I have two toggle-and-loop dyneema strops, one for each reef, that go through the cringle and around the boom. The toggle is hardwood, though aluminum and stainless ones are commercially available. Cheap to make, strong enough to lift the boat, easy to secure and undo, and impossible to flog loose if the loop is correctly sized (not that a reefing strop ever flogs). If the boom is too big around, I've rigged some that go through the tack attachment on the boom--you just need the room to feed the strop through.
If it's just around the boom how do you keep it from pulling aft when you tighten the 'clew' line? You want a nice tight foot to really flatten the sail out when the wind picks up. Is all that tension taken by your sail slides / cars?
Old 28-02-2022, 18:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
you say elegant and easy. while may take some doing to set up, once set up, a single line slab reefing can be set up to run the lines back to the cockpit, so no one even has to go to the mast (easy). and if done right most all of the lines can be hidden inside the boom (elegant) and if you don't want to run the lines back to the cockpit, then you can leave them at the mast.

yes it does fail the "no down haul" part of the test.

personally i would think grabbing a line in the comfort of the cockpit rather than having to deal with cringle hooks or strops/toggles would outweigh the downside of having a down haul...
Thanks. Yes, I know many people are great fans of single-line reefing systems but I'm not I'm afraid. I find them too temperamental. Too many components that all have to work perfectly or nothing does and they lack versatility.
Old 28-02-2022, 18:25   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

I made up from dyneema 2 modified strops. Each one is luggage tagged to a reef cringle and each has a fixed loop that I loop around a solid dedicated cleat on the mast.
Each live on the cringle and takes a second to fix to cleat. Crank up the main and your done.
Have never fouled raising, lowering or reefing.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 18:47   #9

A little bkgd of my experience. Started using horns and found I was spending time moving sail out the way. Then made up soft shackles to length for each reef, too much time to rig and used both hands.
Current way, described in above post ...one hand only and literally seconds to attach as when lowering sail to reef loop presents itself.
Old 28-02-2022, 19:55   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I know many people are great fans of single-line reefing systems but I'm not I'm afraid. I find them too temperamental. Too many components that all have to work perfectly or nothing does and they lack versatility.

Not a fan of single line reefing but a two line system works pretty well
Old 28-02-2022, 22:41   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I agree with AKA and I don't like the idea of going to the mast to reef. A single line is more complicated than it needs to be. It also means you have more lose line to deal with.

KISS principal might be considered elegant?, a 2 line reef system is pretty simple and can be done without turning upwind and you can set or shake a reef from the helm.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:04   #12

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

for me, simple and safe: 2 separate lines, one for the front reefing, one for the aft reefing
but the mast sail window must be closed for the sliders to go down and stack well
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:29   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post

^^ This. It is useful to have a way to pull the luff down, particularly reefing off the wind.

I have single-line reefing on my PDQ and I'm not wild about it. It works fine, but the friction could be less. I rig the third reef using two lines.

A common downfall of many "line" reefing systems, though, is that they do not hold the tack forward against the pull of the outhaul. On my F-24 I have a line that is lead through blocks on the mast that pull forward and down, and it works with the cunningham or any reef. The blocks float on a strop.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:22   #14

All good and used in many boats.
However thinking OP wants
"something easy, when going to mast at sea, to secure tack."
Or maybe he will be convinced to install/upgrade to one of the reefing
systems suggested.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:20   #15

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This. It is useful to have a way to pull the luff down, particularly reefing off the wind.
A common downfall of many "line" reefing systems, though, is that they do not hold the tack forward against the pull of the outhaul. On my F-24 I have a line that is lead through blocks on the mast that pull forward and down, and it works with the cunningham or any reef. The blocks float on a strop.

yes, a solution as a line guide attached to the mast below the level of the boom, so that the forward reef line pulls slightly forward
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote