Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 13:32   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Emergency Storm Jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Thoughtful comments, and I thank all for posting.

Became aware of these type sails and just got to fantasizing, I guess.

Will stick with what I've got - they've proven effective. {The storm try and storm stay'sl once let us heave to when the winds approached 60 knts.}

Thanks again for the input!

Now I'm off to research something uncontroversial, like a replacement anchor and chain....

James

Another reason for using something like a gale sail on my boat is that the shape of the sail will be right for the job -- i.e., center of work lower.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:11   #17

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Another reason for using something like a gale sail on my boat is that the shape of the sail will be right for the job -- i.e., center of work lower.
True about center of work - or mostly true. It still needs hoisting high enough not to become a big water scoop!

I've read many of your comments about a single-hander getting back aboard in a MOB situation, and the equipment plus steps you take to prevent going overboard in the first place. So after watching the video that demonstrates hoisting the Gale Sail, do you really think that would fit into your plans? Seems like it takes quite a bit of time being exposed out there on the fore deck. Storm Bag just seems quicker. IMHO,of course....

As for their size, refolding them, repacking them, etc.- Well, I suppose somebody could just lash it to the rail after dropping and reorganize everything in calmer/dryer weather.

But still - I've decided not to get one. Your final decision may or may not differ. Good luck!

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:37   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
True about center of work - or mostly true. It still needs hoisting high enough not to become a big water scoop!

I've read many of your comments about a single-hander getting back aboard in a MOB situation, and the equipment plus steps you take to prevent going overboard in the first place. So after watching the video that demonstrates hoisting the Gale Sail, do you really think that would fit into your plans? Seems like it takes quite a bit of time being exposed out there on the fore deck. Storm Bag just seems quicker. IMHO,of course....

As for their size, refolding them, repacking them, etc.- Well, I suppose somebody could just lash it to the rail after dropping and reorganize everything in calmer/dryer weather.

But still - I've decided not to get one. Your final decision may or may not differ. Good luck!

James

Well, yeah, I said that too, the thing to do would be to lash the storm bag afterwards. My concern is that IMO reefing needs to be easy, and you're going to think about washing, drying and repacking all that surface afterwards before you deploy the sail.

I prepare my boat for not going over the side, or getting back afterwards, just out of prudence. I'm not afraid of moving around the boat, just being realistic. It's not reasonable to think you'll never have to go forward. But with all the netting, and working low, I wonder how much of a risk I'd really be at? With a harness and a tight tether ... I'm wondering if I couldn't brace myself between the supports of the pulpit, real tight tether.

I'm going to have to get on a boat that has one and see exactly how it works and what I might do.

If the sail is properly set for higher winds, it will be flat and tight and make a lousy scoop, so I'm not too worried about that.

If you're the fellow with the floating sail museum (I don't remember the name, was it you?) no, you probably don't need it. I thought about putting up a staysail too, but I wouldn't need this thing a lot. I would put it up if I thought there was even a chance of being caught in a storm, because sneering comments (not from you) aside, the storms here can be fierce, and my boat is not a bluewater boat, and she's tender. I need the sails to help me, not fight me.

But then if I replace the lower unit of the roller furler I could probably get by with a partially deployed headsail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:58   #19

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If you're the fellow with the floating sail museum (I don't remember the name, was it you?) no, you probably don't need it.
LOL Yeah... Guess that's me! And from Mexico island hopping to New Zealand then back up to American Samoa, I used every one of those sails at one time or another. My wife thinks it's because I sometimes get bored but I tell her no, no - it's really due to the weather!

See ya' round the forums... I'm out of here....

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 19:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Dockhead, take a look at the Hood 810. That's what is on my boat. and then tell me how bullet-proof it is.
Throw it away and install something more serious, then forget about it. Furling gear is something which should just work.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, jib, storm jib