Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 18:49   #1

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Emergency Tiller Solutions - Irwin 52

Ok, before I resort to weird ideas, and calling the Guru Gene, I am looking for some ideas. Here is the problem. On my Irwin 52, the emergency tiller connection is dead under the rear hatch. So unless i leave a 20x20 hatch wide open, there is no way to rig a emergency tiller unless it is handled below deck only, and even then, with an aft cabin, walkie talkies, or thumps on the cabin roof, u cant steer and see too. Ideas? or others with same issues?

Thanks
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 19:09   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
You could install a screw-out access panel in the middle of the hatch. That way you could leave the hatch closed and the only opening to the weather would be the 4" or so hole from the acces panel.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 21:54   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
You could install a screw-out access panel in the middle of the hatch. That way you could leave the hatch closed and the only opening to the weather would be the 4" or so hole from the acces panel.
Yes,,This is exactly what you want to do...Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_3618.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	13723  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Consider drilling either a 3-3/4” (95mm) or a 4-3/4” (121mm) hole in the hatch.
These will accept a 3" or 4" (nominal) Nicro Vent, should you decide to fit one instead of the "blanc" access cover.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I had a similar problem and had to install access as suggested by Rustypirate and Gord. That also involved extending the stock on the tiller. The proof of the pudding and all that, I had to try it out. I found that with the relatively short arm on my emergency tiller, there was no way that I could actually apply enough force to steer the boat at any speed greater than 4 knots. I've since installed a dual block and pulley system that I can rig quickly to sort out the effort required. Extending the arm of the tiller presented too many space problems. I've since talked to lots of folks who have never tried using their emergency tiller. Granted, I have a large rudder and a heavy boat but it still came as quite a surprise to me. Perhaps it's a good idea for everyone to test the tiller before it's needed in a force 8 gale
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Irwin 52 Freya
Send a message via MSN to cliff johnsen Send a message via Skype™ to cliff johnsen
Re: Emergency Tiller Solutions - Irwin 52

It really is simple: I made an aluminum cover for the hatch with a hole for the tiller shaft to go through. Simply open the hatch, place the cover on it, and secure with two screws that always stay in the cover. Also drill a hole in the bed hatch, so the rudder shaft can be put throuh it (in between the two matresses) . Now you dont have to dismantle the bed to get the thing working. It is slick, waterproof and takes only a few minutes to set it up. I welded a socket to the end of a 1" water pipe for the shaft, used an elbow at the top (with counter sunk screw so it wont twist) and a couple of tillers that screw on with standard plumbing couplings. It goes any length you like. the hatch cover provides the much needed middle support for the system.
cliff johnsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin